Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Treviso wrote: »
    And there was you rinsing me last year for doing this :P:P

Sorry to hear about the injury woes S but great to see you back posting here, you were missed. If you need any advice on the trampoline shoes, we have a few experts around here

Did I forget to mention it was a waste of 6 weeks? ;-/

Well its a long time since I did a weekly update. Sadly it is not reporting on anything remotely interesting. :o

For some context I should mention that after many weeks without running and many more with practically none I began running on the 6th of October by doing a 1.75 mile run. All runs since then have been easy paced. The first week was 6 miles, then 10,14,18,22,25,29,34,38 and 42 in a gradual increase. The PF needs constant monitoring but so far so good. This was followed by a couple of lazy and indulgent weeks over Christmas and the new year.

So that brings me to....

Monday 4th: Rest Day.

Tuesday 5th: 6 miles @ 9:14 Av HR 136. A local loop, slightly too fast probably as a result of fresh legs after so little running over the preceeding couple of weeks.

Wednesday 6th: 6 miles @ 9:34 Av HR 133. Exact same loop, much slower and HR reflective of my shocking fitness level.

Thursday 7th: 4 miles @ 9:26 Av HR 133. Nothing much to add...

Friday 8th: 6 miles @ 9:23 Av HR 139. A nice run on the same loop. Tried out my midlife crisis, swanky, skyblue runners from Atreyu. :D They're a gem of a shoe and if I lived in the States they would become my everyday runner. You couldn't go wrong at $55/75. Unfortunately duties and delivery pushes them up to €100 here for a one off purchase. They're super basic but at 159g you hardly notice you're wearing them. I have preordered a pair of their carbon plate/ high stack shoe which I should get in April...$99 in the land of Trump but €127 delivered here.

Saturday 9th: 6.2 miles @ 9:11 Av HR 151. A packed Phoenix Park lap. Head was melted with HR readings. I started on the downhill into the Furry Glen and it shot up to 140 :eek: After that it was a struggle to keep it under 160 so I just ran by what felt comfortable while failing to ignore the HR :rolleyes:

Sunday 10th: 8 miles @ 9:08 Av HR 148. A local loop beset by yet more strange HR readings. I rightly or wrongly decided there is something amiss with either the strap or Garmin algorithms as there is no way the ease of the run corresponded with the HR. Either that or I'm coming down with something :(

A 36 mile week, all easy and the scale of the mountain ahead of me laid bare :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Atreyu? I don't understand -

Atreyu is an American metalcore band from Yorba Linda, California, formed in 1998. The band consists of vocalist Brandon Saller, guitarists Dan Jacobs and ....................

Is it a poster then?

Welcome back. Hope the feet are ok and TAKE IT EASY!

Happy New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I was very tempted to buy a pair last year. The subscription is an interesting concept if you lived over there. Great to see you getting back into it again skyblue

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    Atreyu? I don't understand -

Atreyu is an American metalcore band from Yorba Linda, California, formed in 1998. The band consists of vocalist Brandon Saller, guitarists Dan Jacobs and ....................

Is it a poster then?

Welcome back. Hope the feet are ok and TAKE IT EASY!

Happy New Year.

https://www.roadtrailrun.com/2020/02/atreyu-running-100-mile-review-2020.html?m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I want a pair..................is that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Welcome back S, hope to see you flying around the 1 mile loop soon enough
    skyblue46 wrote: »

Sunday 10th: 8 miles @ 9:08 Av HR 148. A local loop beset by yet more strange HR readings. I rightly or wrongly decided there is something amiss with either the strap or Garmin algorithms as there is no way the ease of the run corresponded with the HR. Either that or I'm coming down with something :(
    :pac::pac:

I've seen a few complaints about HR on strava this week so it might not be you, mine today was way over what would be expected for a slow trot around the block

MisterJinx wrote: »
    Welcome back S, hope to see you flying around the 1 mile loop soon enough
    I've seen a few complaints about HR on strava this week so it might not be you, mine today was way over what would be expected for a slow trot around the block

Thanks a lot. It'll be a while before there is any attempt at any type of flying. :pac: It'll be slow and easy for a good while.

I'd hope it's Garmin related alright as its so far off the mark. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I saw a sub 2.30 marathon runner doing his easy pace @ over 190bpm.....!! Defo something up or we're all coming down with something!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Ah give over, it's not Garmin's fault your HR is sky high, it's the kegs of guiness ya had over the Christmas :pac:

Good to see you back pal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Atreyu... easy for you to say.

What does subscription mean? How is it different from just buying another pair with one wears out? :confused: Or is it some other way of locking you in?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Atreyu... easy for you to say.

What does subscription mean? How is it different from just buying another pair with one wears out? :confused: Or is it some other way of locking you in?

Yeah its like a magazine subscription...$75 for a single pair. $55 per pair if you commit to a pair every 3 or 4 months and pay upfront.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Ah give over, it's not Garmin's fault your HR is sky high, it's the kegs of guiness ya had over the Christmas :pac:

Good to see you back pal

It was back to normal tonight....:)

So when will we be welcoming you back? Come on, join the Lazarus gang :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I want a pair..................is that bad?

Not bad just sad :)

TbL

Not bad just sad :)

TbL

We'll see! Won't be long before you're investing when you run 20.01 in your next 5K ;)

I got an email from Amsterdam marathon today. It's what sounds like a quite tentative date of October 17th. I say tentative as there is understandable references to vaccines, things changing day by day and an "adjusted event so that runners can participate in a safe and responsible manner". They have also decided that it is still to early to start the process of transferring entries from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yeah its like a magazine subscription...$75 for a single pair. $55 per pair if you commit to a pair every 3 or 4 months and pay upfront.

Hmm. I suppose if you like them already that's fair enough.

I suppose I should update this but it doesn't seem worth doing. :rolleyes: I just couldn't be bothered writing down a list of easy runs which would bore you as much reading it as it would me writing it. :)

Suffice to say it has been a decent couple of weeks with a good number of 6/7 mile easy runs. These are all being done with an upper HR limit of the top of zone 2 and all came in the range of 62-64% HRR. The pace has been quite varied but keeping the HR range quite low has me feeling very fresh. Last Sunday was a fairly casual progression run going from nearly stopped to barely moving :pac: I was happy with the first bit of something other than easy in 7 months. Today was 12 miles easy on a bitter cold but perfect morning for running.

Mileage for the two weeks was 39 and 42. I will increase that gradually over the next few weeks.

In other news...United! Not yet the finished article and will probably fall short against City. This I can live with for now safe in the knowledge that we're now more than a match for Liverpool. For the last few years we have hung on for a couple of results but in the two games this week I just couldn't see us losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

That was some leap by Cavani when it hit the post. It deserved a goal.

Are you getting any discomfort in the foot these days?

• Advertisement

That was some leap by Cavani when it hit the post. It deserved a goal.

Are you getting any discomfort in the foot these days?

Hiya D. Yeah he has been a great addition so far. I'll have to admit to having my doubts on deadline day but he seems to be more Henrik Larsson than Alexis Sanchez thankfully.

As for the foot...no issues while running. I still get it tighten up a bit overnight and after sitting for a while. It takes a little bit of loosening up. I'll be very wary when introducing some pace into my runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hiya D. Yeah he has been a great addition so far. I'll have to admit to having my doubts on deadline day but he seems to be more Henrik Larsson than Alexis Sanchez thankfully.

As for the foot...no issues while running. I still get it tighten up a bit overnight and after sitting for a while. It takes a little bit of loosening up. I'll be very wary when introducing some pace into my runs.
    Quick one, how did the PF start? As in what did you recognise as first signs?

Quick one, how did the PF start? As in what did you recognise as first signs?

With the benefit of hindsight it was tenderness under the heel and a general tightness in the foot upon getting out of bed in the morning. At the time I didn't recognise it as the first sign of anything other than being auld :pac:

With the benefit of hindsight it was tenderness under the heel and a general tightness in the foot upon getting out of bed in the morning. At the time I didn't recognise it as the first sign of anything other than being auld :pac:

Sounds very familiar. I'm tippy-toeing around first thing in the morning at the moment. I used to do it on purpose not to wake the kids up for my early run - now its just how I walk :)

Sounds very familiar. I'm tippy-toeing around first thing in the morning at the moment. I used to do it on purpose not to wake the kids up for my early run - now its just how I walk :)

Just be careful D, its a sneaky fooker. What does your physio reckon?

Just be careful D, its a sneaky fooker. What does your physio reckon?

Yeh I'm learning that. I first felt this back in the marathon block. I should have taken a proper break after that and worked at the rehab. Doing two time trials in a week in December wasn't too bright.
    I did about 21 miles running over 5 days this week. That will be reduced to 3/4 days max in the coming week.
    A combo of exercises for the foot and a hell of lot of S+C to tackle the cause. L has sent me some valuable stuff here too along with Physio.

Yeh I'm learning that. I first felt this back in the marathon block. I should have taken a proper break after that and worked at the rehab. Doing two time trials in a week in December wasn't too bright.
    I did about 21 miles running over 5 days this week. That will be reduced to 3/4 days max in the coming week.
    A combo of exercises for the foot and a hell of lot of S+C to tackle the cause. L has sent me some valuable stuff here too along with Physio.

The cause? Have you worked that out?

It's hard though. I think serious runners are programmed to find a reason to run rather than find a reason not to. We're always questioning what's a real issue, what's not, is this normal, it probably is, shur I'll be grand...

The cause? Have you worked that out?

Well, there's guess work involved to a certain degree I suppose. My right knee is weak and my calf takes a disproportionate amount of work compared to hamstring it seems. The higher milage probably accentuated it all. Based on that, targeting hamstring and glutes at minute. That could change based on whatever I'm told.

• Advertisement

Another week of all easy miles, 46 of them this time. That's my highest week since June and more than July, August and September combined so I have to be happy with that aspect.

Monday 25th: I decided to try the one hour challenge. It was going to be my one and only attempt at it as I had no intention of doing any more runs that were not governed by HR. After getting drawn into the TTs last year I have promised myself to focus on what I need to do this year with no distractions. I was quite happy with my 41 second (Strava made it 43:confused:) overrun at the time but have since seen that become positively second rate as the pacing quality of the Boards a/r community positively peppered the target with near bullseyes. :D 6.5 miles @9:21

Tuesday 26th: 7 miles @ 9:04. My usual Ballymun-Collins Ave loop. Quite a bit faster than recent runs but HR lower than them all. Not really a sign of progress, more a continuation of a theme. Over the past couple of weeks I have had a difference of 40secs between fastest and slowest runs with similar HR.

Wednesday 27th: 6.3 miles @ 8:57. On the plus side I was faster again for the same HR but on the negative side it was a miserable run. I did it in the dark and rain after work (if you can call 10 hours in an airport with more staff than passengers work). I went on my loop which goes down Santry Lane. Unfortunately both sides of the road were full of puddles which every car had to drive through. I could safely say I was soaked from the waist down at least 10 times in the half mile I ran on it. :(

Thursday 28th: Rest Day

Friday 29th: 7.5 miles @ 9:18. Usual loop plus a lap of DCU. Same HR as the day before but 20 secs slower.

Saturday 30th: 6.4 miles @ 9:18. Did this one on the Collins Ave/Griffith Ave lap. Very windy and blustery. I don't know if I have ever run/shuffled slower than I did going uphill and into the wind on the Malahide Road between Griffith and Collins Ave and trying to keep HR in zone 2. A look at Garmin later showed it at nearly 11 minute pace :eek:

Sunday 31st: 12.2 miles @ 9:21. I got out early enough for this hoping to avoid the worst of the rain today. By and large that worked out. I chose to do the same run as last Sunday. This most definitely did not work out :pac: I managed to pretty much run a route where I had shelter from the wind on the uphill first 2 miles and last 3 miles whilst running into the face of the wind for the flat/downhill middle 7 miles. This made for a real plod/slog in trying, and mostly failing, to keep the HR where I wanted it to be. I think doing the route anti clockwise would have been a lot easier. Great to get it done all the same.

So I threw my hat into the February challenge at 54 mins. Not for one minute do I think it will be a TT but if it is I am still not ready to move much beyond easy and won't be changing that for anything. Intrigued to find out what curve ball will be thrown anyway....

Advertisement