Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

ariana` wrote: »
    Good luck at the physio S, hope you get it sorted.

And there's be no more talk of FOMO passing - did you not see that fab medal :P:pac:

All good with the physio. Well by that I mean nothing really bad. Haha. Hamstring is just very tight since I pulled it badly last year. It'll never be as good as the right but is still terribly tight apparently and could be improved greatly with some stretching. Achilles nothing to be worried about, just a slight thickening of the tendon. So overall it just means I'll be joining all ye stretchers and rollers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

skyblue46 wrote: »
    All good with the physio. Well by that I mean nothing really bad. Haha. Hamstring is just very tight since I pulled it badly last year. It'll never be as good as the right but is still terribly tight apparently and could be improved greatly with some stretching. Achilles nothing to be worried about, just a slight thickening of the tendon. So overall it just means I'll be joining all ye stretchers and rollers.

Great news :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

good news... i highly recommend a base ball for rolling the calves :eek:

I'm not too sure about the hamstring - if you find something that works please do share, mine are both very tight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

That’s good news. The rolling does help definitely, tedious and all as it is.

good news... i highly recommend a base ball for rolling the calves :eek:

I'm not too sure about the hamstring - if you find something that works please do share, mine are both very tight :rolleyes:

It's mostly stretching for the hamstrings. In fact the emphasis is much more on stretching properly after runs. The foam rolling is a distant second in priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Cracking time last night Sean.....roll on sub 19!

Cracking time last night Sean.....roll on sub 19!

You're on fire S! Where's the report :P

You're on fire S! Where's the report :P

Aw Jesus I've just been so busy. Sure I haven't even logged last week yet!! 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Aw Jesus I've just been so busy. Sure I haven't even logged last week yet!! ��

Too busy churning out the PBs :p

Week 8 Grads 5-10k Plan

So this was to be a step back week on the plan which in reality just meant a shorter than usual long run. I had planned to do the BHAA Beach Run on the Tuesday but life got in the way :rolleyes:

Monday 14th: The usual recovery jog in Johnstown Park. 40 minutes, 4.2 miles @ 9:21

Tuesday 15th: 60 minutes was on the plan today and I was just a few minutes over thanks to a couple of diversions I had to take to avoid some of the miles of barriers in the Phoenix Park which were erected to detain those of questionable music taste from leaving some concert... :( Once I got away from the barriers, articulated trucks, generators and scaffold I really enjoyed another fine day in this beautiful park. 6.7 miles @ 9:08

Wednesday 16th: Session day. Plan and actual, 5 * 3 mins AP (6:09-6:16 per mile pace) with 3 mins jogged recoveries. Another stunning morning this time in Marlay Park. One of those very rare dream sessions where it all just clicked. I fell into the pace straight away and while the last rep required a bit of a push I could have done one or two more reps if required. Paces were 6:11, 13, 06, 08 and 6:07. I was so happy with this that I treated herself to a coffee and me to a coffee and double chocolate muffin with whipped cream! :pac::pac: Mileage incl W/u and c/d was 8.1

Thursday 17th: 75 mins very easy. 8 miles @ 9:19. Just did a loop locally which involved a lap of each of the 3 public parks nearby. Really warm day and the noise coming from the campus bar of DCU as I passed it while running around Albert College Park indicated lots of cider was being taken to fight off the warming effects of the sub tropical temperatures. :D

Friday 18th: 45 mins very easy. 4.8 miles @ 9:20 Nothing to report other than the fact that it happened.

Saturday 19th: Session day. Plan and actual was 2 * 12 mins at threshold (6:42-6:52). Paces were both 6:43. This didn't feel as good as it reads. In fact it felt terrible from the start. I really struggled to hold the pace and had to fight for the last 3/4 minutes of each rep just to get to the end. It's 22 min 5k pace and I'm struggling after 9 minutes. WTF :confused:

Sunday 20th: The not long LSR which should make it an SR, right? But this plan has the LSR at a faster pace than every other non session day so I have to drop the S too? I did this R in the Phoenix Park on my way back from a nice Chinese with the youngest lad. Same as the day before I felt lousy. Same pace as my 14 miles last weekend but was in bother after 3 miles. Legs were heavy and sweating far more than the weather merited. Not feeling too good about things....is the shift work and associated bad sleep catching up with me? Am I overtraining? Do I need some rest? 7.9 miles @ 8:48

Weekly Miles: 48.4
    Monthly Miles: 151.2
    YTD Miles: 910

Week 9 Grads 5-10k Plan

Monday 21st: So maybe I need a rest. Let's just do the 20 mins recovery jog on the plan instead of the usual 30 or 40 I actually do. 2.1 miles @ 9:31

Tuesday 22nd: Bob Heffernan 5k Race Report

So I wasn't exactly full of hope heading to this one but had been really looking forward to it. I have been enjoying the few club run races I had taken part in and was full sure that based on all reports that this trend would continue. I got down good and early mainly as a result of getting out of Dublin before the M50 came to a standstill. Collected my lime green tee shirt (tee shirt, super spread and chip timing for €13!! Credit where it's due and something others could learn from). Bumped into MurphD as I was leaving the ballroom or disco which served as race HQ. A quick change and then a 2 mile warm up including the mile jog out to the start line. I knew Eyrie from these parts was racing and I hoped to get a chance to say hello. Armed with all the information I had gleaned from a Strava pic...namely what her legs look like and that she has pink runners with some orange detail on the side...I set about looking for her. However scanning all the female runners from the waist down was never a good plan :eek: I decided to give up the hunt before I was arrested! :pac:

I had made my mind up that my target was to get under 20 again after breaking it for the first time in the BHAA 5k a few weeks ago. This one was a proper road race, not pancake flat nor on tarmac as smooth as a snooker table.

The field were called to the start and despite it being a decent road it was very congested with loads lining up on the grass verges at either side of the road. I was a bit perplexed that a woman with a large husky dog lined up straight in front of me. ( In fact I was surprised it would be allowed in such an event ). The start was very messy when it came with lots of sorting out to be done. There were 500 metres gone before there was anything resembling clear running space. At this point the watch said 2 mins so it didn't affect my race at all. I went through the first Km in 3:57. It was only about then that people stopped passing me. The next km was 3:51 and it was the point where I had a decision to make...slow down and stay on plan or just go with it. It took all of 0.001 of a second to decide. Keep her trucking along. The next 2 Kms were 3:53 and 3:51 and I was really hoovering up slowing runners like a state of the art Dyson! It's amazing how even paced running can move you up through the field. The legs were starting to burn though and thoughts of easing off and slowing to a 19:59 came into my head. Then she came into sight ahead...a female runner from Ballyroan and Abbeyleix (yes I checked the results after!) who seemed to be the only nearby runner not slowing. She was looking strong and catching her refocused the mind. Had to dig deep to catch her and eventually did with about 100m to go. Kept the effort going to the line and clocked 3:34 for that last Km.

I saw 19:20 on the gantry and stopped the watch at 19:13 both of which knocked a few seconds off my PB. The thrill lasted about 2 seconds until my body reminded my brain that I was fooked!! I grabbed a bottle of water and fell in a heap on the ground for a minute until I could summon the energy to sit up. MurphD arrived alongside very shortly after and collapsed into a similar shaped heap before also eventually righting himself. Fair to say he didn't have the same feelings of contentment that I had. Better days around the corner I'm sure. I was introduced to Singer who had put in a very impressive time. I look forward to meeting the lads again soon.

After a 2k cooldown I ventured back into the local Saturday night pick up joint. I had picking up on my mind alright. I was starving and needed to pick up as many sandwiches as possible! I grabbed a handful off the nearest table and swallowed them whole. Thankfully the place was thronged so nobody could really see the pig I made of myself. To fully ensure my suid like behaviour wasn't noticed I moved from table to table, striking with the speed of a venomous snake, grabbing a handful, swallowing and moving on to the next table! ( it was probably done quicker than I managed to move at any point during the race)

So to finish this epic...to the person who made the egg mayo sandwiches I salute you...to the person who made the mixed salad sandwiches I think I might love you!

Johnstownbridge I'll be back :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Super running, so impressive! You've been working really hard, totally deserved PB, great report too :)

Brilliant report - very entertaining!!

And great running, those splits and that finish are so impressive. A well deserved PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Brilliant race and report, especially the sambo raids afterwards :pac:

Any thoughts on a venue for your first sub-19 attempt? :D

Brilliant race and report, especially the sambo raids afterwards :pac:

Any thoughts on a venue for your first sub-19 attempt? :D

Yeah I have given it some thought. It'll be Jingle Bells :D:pac:

Can't see myself racing a 5k for a while now. I'll do Dunboyne 5 mile next week and then won't race before Dunshaughlin. Might possibly go to one of the races piling up in that part of the country the following week. I think there is one in Clonee and one in Kilcock on consecutive evenings...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Brilliant report S :) always a great read and entertaining.
    Well done again excellent racing, I love how you just went with it and pushed hard to the finish and what a strong finish no fading at all in the last 5km :)

I knew Eyrie from these parts was racing and I hoped to get a chance to say hello. Armed with all the information I had gleaned from a Strava pic...namely what her legs look like and that she has pink runners with some orange detail on the side...I set about looking for her. However scanning all the female runners from the waist down was never a good plan :eek: I decided to give up the hunt before I was arrested! :pac:

Ha, I was trying to be all mysterious don't ya know! Went for a costume change :D Next time we'll have to coordinate better ;)

Seriously impressed with your run there, major congratulations! It's really incredible how much you've improved your speed in such a short space of time - I had to go back to your first post just to check. Only 6 months ago and your "goal" was 21:58. Look at you now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done on another 5k PB, if your looking for another fast one keep the Kinnegad 5k in mind. Another very fast race like last night, normally on early July.

Edit: 11th of July for Kinnegad.

eyrie wrote: »
    Ha, I was trying to be all mysterious don't ya know! Went for a costume change :D Next time we'll have to coordinate better ;)

Seriously impressed with your run there, major congratulations! It's really incredible how much you've improved your speed in such a short space of time - I had to go back to your first post just to check. Only 6 months ago and your "goal" was 21:58. Look at you now!

Thanks so much. It's amazing what a bit of structured training can do!

Do I remember correctly you saying that you're doing the 10k in Dunshaughlin?

OOnegative wrote: »
    Well done on another 5k PB, if your looking for another fast one keep the Kinnegad 5k in mind. Another very fast race like last night, normally on early July.

Great I'll keep that one in mind. If I come out of Dunshaughlin alright I might have a look at it. The OCD side of me is more interested in tidying my times up a bit to be more in line with my 5k. Next week should improve on my Raheny 5 mile, Dunshaughlin could sort out the 10k so a 10 miler will probably be the next target. That Cocas 10 from 10 looks interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Very entertaining report. I love the way you just decided f*ck it after 2k. It could easily have become one of these cases where you let your watch rule your race. Like I've said before the 5k isn't really the race to focus too much on paces on a watch. If you can decide to go on effort and just balls it out then that's half the battle. I'll be testing it out myself on Sunday. Well done!

• Advertisement

Thanks so much. It's amazing what a bit of structured training can do!

Do I remember correctly you saying that you're doing the 10k in Dunshaughlin?

Yep, that's the plan. I've only ever raced a 10k once, so seemed worth giving it another go! Might see you there so ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Congrats again S. Love the report. Your skulking from table to table gobbling sandwiches is hilarious.

Very entertaining report. I love the way you just decided f*ck it after 2k. It could easily have become one of these cases where you let your watch rule your race. Like I've said before the 5k isn't really the race to focus too much on paces on a watch. If you can decide to go on effort and just balls it out then that's half the battle. I'll be testing it out myself on Sunday. Well done!

Something tells me you're going to nail it. What race is it?

I'm still addicted to looking at the watch, it's every few seconds I do it. The only difference is that I am starting to react to paces based on how I feel rather than readjusting to a pre planned pace schedule.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Congrats again S. Love the report. Your skulking from table to table gobbling sandwiches is hilarious.

Skulking?? Excuse me. It was an exercise in stealth and speed :pac:

eyrie wrote: »
    Yep, that's the plan. I've only ever raced a 10k once, so seemed worth giving it another go! Might see you there so ;)

Ah yeah I'll definitely say hello and encourage one of ariana's flock! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I go through phases but of late I have found that I'm just hanging on so looking at the watch is pointless as I have nothing to gain. My body is telling me I'm at max so the watch won't tell me anything worthwhile. Particularly in Ennis 10k. The last three miles I don't think I checked my watch once.
    One thing I make sure I do though is if I decide to check my watch, I register the pace and I ask myself how does this feel. That way at least I'm training my mind to feel a pace in any given condition on any given day. Duanington is a good example of a man who often says f+ck it to the watch. Especially for the "shorter" stuff.

Shanagolden 5k on Sunday with hopefully some decent club runners to drag me along! No expectations time wise. Just want to run as hard as I can on the day and see where it takes me. Looks like it will be very very warm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

OOnegative wrote: »

Or the night of the 5km PB's in Leixlip on the 14th :)

I hear its a flat course :p

Great running, super to get a PB, congrats. Dunboyne is a great course too - one of my favourite races of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great report, great PB (fantastic splits!) and it was great meeting you :)

"Careful now" on the frequency of races, maybe don't get too carried away with constant racing in spite of your impressive improvements. I'm in the camp of infrequent (like, once a month?) racing which I think suits masters runners well.

Singer wrote: »
    Great report, great PB (fantastic splits!) and it was great meeting you :)

"Careful now" on the frequency of races, maybe don't get too carried away with constant racing in spite of your impressive improvements. I'm in the camp of infrequent (like, once a month?) racing which I think suits masters runners well.

I won't be over racing. I'll do Dunboyne to see how many 4 minute kms I can do. I know I can do 5. Maybe it'll be 6, maybe 7, and God forbid maybe 8. After that there will be no races until Dunshaughlin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Having seen yet another PB on your Strava, I decided to remind myself of your starting points... seriously, you have come such a long way after all your hard work, its very impressive and extremely inspiring! Massive well done.

Advertisement