Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017/18 PDC World Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Haha Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

congrats to Munch

first I've heard of him and I think we will hear his name much more

Few big names gone already Adrian Lewis, Wade, Chizzy and Klassen

Christ Justin Pipe is the last game 2morrow night. I'd love If the prem winner beat him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Lewis needs to take a good hard look at himself and sort it out.

Wasting his talent and badly on the slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

irishgeo wrote: »
    These big names going plays into mvg hands.

Other side of the draw and Lewis was an unlikely finalist so doesn't matter much to MVG.
    Good for Ando & Wright I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

mdwexford wrote: »
    Lewis needs to take a good hard look at himself and sort it out.

Wasting his talent and badly on the slide.

You don’t want to speculate, but I’d imagine all is not well with Lewis. The darts circuit is a hard life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The lad is deliriously happy, great stuff

Monster Munch :)

Will probably be his nickname by the time his next match comes around after Christmas.

That section of the draw is wide open, great chance of an unlikely quarter finalist coming through.

Really enjoying it this year so far, best first round in a long time. Even the crowd are better, most of them actually seem to be watching the darts this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Lewis looks like he'll never get back to where he was. Sad to see for a player with such talent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Having watched the prelim game I can't say I saw that Munch win coming. Fair play to him.

Lewis needs to knuckle down big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

this is getting like 2008 with all the seeds going

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Sad to see Lewis exit so early. Has had a horrendous season. I hope he can get back to his best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

He looks in awful shape. I know that darts players arent traditionally paragons of athleticism but he looks hugely unhealthy. Feel for the guy. One of the most natural players I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Will probably be his nickname by the time his next match comes around after Christmas.

I think his nickname is ,the banana

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

kentoccfc wrote: »
    What a performance from Münch! Hard to see where Lewis goes from here
    Lewis looks like he'll never get back to where he was. Sad to see for a player with such talent

He's only 32 which is relatively young by darts standards. He's had a tough year with back surgery and became a dad so I wouldn't be writing him off just yet. According to his manager Deller a few weeks ago he said Lewis would be back to his best in two years so they seem to know it isn't a quick fix whatever is affecting his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Bob Harris wrote: »
    He's only 32 which is relatively young by darts standards. He's had a tough year with back surgery and became a dad so I wouldn't be writing him off just yet. According to his manager Deller a few weeks ago he said Lewis would be back to his best in two years so they seem to know it isn't a quick fix whatever is affecting his game.

He's been on the decline the last 4 years despite the odd good run. He's done. Dart players always have excuses, always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Gardner

A lot of money gone on Robert Cross at the start of the competition. If he pulls it off it would be one of the best tournaments ever by an individual. More than likely he will be playing Gurney(4) in 1/16 then Suljovic (5) in 1/8 and then Van Gerwen in 1/4 with possibly either playing Taylor or Anderson in Semi’s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Deller has been beyond useless for jackpots career

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

D.Q wrote: »
    He looks in awful shape. I know that darts players arent traditionally paragons of athleticism but he looks hugely unhealthy. Feel for the guy. One of the most natural players I've ever seen.

From a size D.Q I think that's the best "shape" I've seen Lewis in in years, he looked appalling a few years back.

Must be something going on in his head.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Deller has been beyond useless for jackpots career

don't think thats fair . he 's been his manager/coach for years , the problem seems to be lewis is not dedicating himself like he used to

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

peteeeed wrote: »
    don't think thats fair . he 's been his manager/coach for years , the problem seems to be lewis is not dedicating himself like he used to

who else does Deller manage ???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Mardle pretty much said in his analysis last night that Lewis is on the way out. He said that Lewis is playing how Mardle played near the end of his career, no compasure and no belief in himself.

I think if anyone can turn it around though Lewis can as he has so much natural talent. Maybe a sports psychologist or a change of management would help him. He also needs to keep losing the weight as he is a very unhealthy man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Are ye being a little harsh and OTT on Lewis here? He had major surjery only a few onths back and pretty much missed 4/5 months of the season.

Also Mardle never had any bottle so apples and oranges.

danganabu wrote: »
    Are ye being a little harsh and OTT on Lewis here? He had major surjery only a few onths back and pretty much missed 4/5 months of the season.

Also Mardle never had any bottle so apples and oranges.

"Major surgery"?? My hole he did. Tell me which 4 or 5 months he missed? He didn't go on the series tour due to the birth of his child.. he played every TV tournament bar the ones he failed to qualify for?

Gardner wrote: »
    A lot of money gone on Robert Cross at the start of the competition. If he pulls it off it would be one of the best tournaments ever by an individual. More than likely he will be playing Gurney(4) in 1/16 then Suljovic (5) in 1/8 and then Van Gerwen in 1/4 with possibly either playing Taylor or Anderson in Semi’s

I thought he would meet van gerwen in the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I thought he would meet van gerwen in the final?

This is Crosses theoretical route if highest seeds win their games.

Smith, Gurney, Suljovic, MVG, Wright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

"Major surgery"?? My hole he did. Tell me which 4 or 5 months he missed? He didn't go on the series tour due to the birth of his child.. he played every TV tournament bar the ones he failed to qualify for?

Actaully it was his back not his hole! And yes back surgery is major surgery for a dart player, he played tournamnets but wasnt able to practice, again for a dart player a complete no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

..actually....Lewis, 32, said: “The muscle had penetrated through to the skin. They had to go up through the anal canal and stitch it all up at the top just underneath my spine. It was painful! “The pain first emerged a couple of months before. "I was having 40 minutes sleep a night, that is how bad it was. “The muscle was contracting and it was going into spasms. It could have been anything. "Travelling. Darts probably. The stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Gardner wrote: »

Gonna put a bit on him to reach the final today. Would like to back him for losing finalist but can’t see that market.

Re Lewis, clearly not enough room for him and Henderson in the second round...

Bob Harris wrote: »
    ..actually....Lewis, 32, said: “The muscle had penetrated through to the skin. They had to go up through the anal canal and stitch it all up at the top just underneath my spine. It was painful! “The pain first emerged a couple of months before. "I was having 40 minutes sleep a night, that is how bad it was. “The muscle was contracting and it was going into spasms. It could have been anything. "Travelling. Darts probably. The stance.

Major surgery keeping off the tour for 4 or 5 months it was not

danganabu wrote: »
    Actaully it was his back not his hole! And yes back surgery is major surgery for a dart player, he played tournamnets but wasnt able to practice, again for a dart player a complete no-no.

He didn't miss 4 or 5 months of the season is what I'm trying to say. He missed the Australian exhibitions that's it. He's been in decline a long time, handy excuse now as all players do. Between dartitis, arteritis, back pains leg pains child birth bla bla bla, more injuries in darts than football!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Would like to have seen Lewis do well in the Worlds, think its gonna be the Premier Leagues loss not having a middling in form Lewis in it...

As someone said above, he is such a natural talent but the clips it showed last night on winning the Worlds, to how he is now, he sure has put on the weight big time. Gonna be hard get back up the rankings as is always gonna have tough draws from now on in comps.

Mind you, on last nights game, many a man would have got beat by the German, 8 x 180s and a few 100+ checkouts..... Unfortunately for Lewis, his pace of throwing suited the German too

Advertisement