Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017/18 PDC World Championship

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I hope not. I'd love to see him turn up and play like that if only for his own sake.

I just don't think it will play out like that. I'd be happy to be wrong on that, even if it wasn't Taylor he was playing.

He's playing like that ALL year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

In the pub so didn’t hear any boo’s.

If so it’s a disgrace.

Rob Cross will not buckle the final though.
    The pressure tonight was unreal and he stood toe to toe with the beast.

Legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Johner wrote: »
    Not a hope Cross gets turned over easily.

Average of less than 101 though... he'll have to be higher than that to beat Taylor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

How many 180's has this guy hit? And what is the outs percentage like?

Has to be north of 40 180's and a good 40-45% on the checkouts. This guy is a machine.

The experience of Taylor will be critical in the final though, he will box smart, he has been there. He will know what way to approach it. I'd love to see Cross do well, but I think it's Taylor's for the final. Really looking forward to it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,259 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

MVG and Cross are as classy as they come.

I look forward to watching their matches for many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What a game, if Cross wins on Monday it will be a bigger upset than Leicester City winning the Premier League.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

It would be so typical for a player to win a game like that and get absolutely steamrolled by Taylor in the final, hopefully it doesn't happen to Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It happens, doesn't make it right but they should be able to deal with it.

TbL

Whether they should or shouldn't be able to deal with it or whether they do or don't deal with it isn't the point. It's scummy behaviour.

If Pipe was trying to put Smith off by coughing, it's irrelevant whether he made him miss or not. It's the intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Average of less than 101 though... he'll have to be higher than that to beat Taylor

I also think Taylor will really slow it down tomorrow and I don't think that'll suit Cross at all

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Sky did mention it, Mardle called them stupid in commentary, and it was one of the last points made in the analysis before the show ended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

What a game, if Cross wins on Monday it will be a bigger upset than Leicester City winning the Premier League.

No it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

The new blood versus the old guard, Sky's script writes itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Not necessarily, that would be enough. It's set play so all he needs to do is hold his throw and he'll be fine. He's definitely capable of hitting pressure darts

He's playing like that ALL year

World final is a different beast though.

Like I said, I hope to be proven wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

I also think Taylor will really slow it down tomorrow and I don't think that'll suit Cross at all

TbL
    You can be sure he'll show some gamesmanship. I don't think it'll affect Cross that much though. Suits Grandad more tomorrow's a rest day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Also safe to say that the future of darts is in good hands. Some serious talent on the rise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

jamesbere wrote: »
    Not necessarily, that would be enough. It's set play so all he needs to do is hold his throw and he'll be fine. He's definitely capable of hitting pressure darts

I can't see that being enough to win... Taylor may be unlikable...but he's a master at putting pressure on people...he will play tomthw crowd, slow the game down...speed up when he hits his trebles...he's well capable of a 106 average.. right now, I can only see one winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Incredible stuff alright. Cross has won three final set deciders in this championship, each time with a lower match average than the man he beat. Certainly won't be short of bottle in the final anyway, you'd just worry that Taylor might beat him with experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Unbelievable

Just unbelievable

All things considered one of the finest world championship performances I can remember - given the circumstances

And absolutely cool as a cucumber afterwards.

Has a fine chance on Monday and being totally honest I do think Taylor was gunning for MvG

This lad has serious bottle and resilience

Whether they should or shouldn't be able to deal with it or whether they do or don't deal with it isn't the point. It's scummy behaviour.

If Pipe was trying to put Smith off by coughing, it's irrelevant whether he made him miss or not. It's the intent.

Don't agree with your analogy, Pipe was involved in the game. Crowd noise during the throw has become part of the game. I agree it scummy and am not condoning it but it happens. As another poster pointed out it's not snooker.

Part of the reason darts has become so popular is the drinking party athmosphere at the tournaments, with increased popularity came bigger prize money. I doubt the players want to return to reverential silence while earning feck all.

It's part of the game now and an all round player needs the composure to deal with it

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

A great game of darts that leaves a bad taste after the crowds behavior,same morons would be cheering mvg on if he was on a 9 darter, you could see it affected mvg,I'm glad Cross won even tho I'm a mvg fan , the final would have been unwatchable with the crowd . Terrible loutish disrespectful fckers, hope Cross wins 7-0 on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Taylor will play much slower. The speed of MVG seemed to suit cross tonight. Although having said that cross does always take a reset on his doubles so maybe a slow speed might not be an issue for him.

Seems like it’s written in the stars that Taylor will won it though. Obviously playing cross will suit him much more than MVG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

The PDC “fans” are a joke. They just go to get drunk and sing football songs

Don't agree with your analogy, Pipe was involved in the game. Crowd noise during the throw has become part of the game. I agree it scummy and am not condoning it but it happens. As another poster pointed out it's not snooker.

Part of the reason darts has become so popular is the drinking party athmosphere at the tournaments, with increased popularity came bigger prize money. I doubt the players want to return to reverential silence while earning feck all.

It's part of the game now and an all round player needs the composure to deal with it

TbL

I never said it had anything to do with the winning or losing of the game. It shouldn't make a difference to the players whether the noise is booing or cheering.

I just said it was scummy. It was. Scummy behaviour isn't part of the game. Large crowds enjoying a fantastic match and being raucous is part of the game now and no one has a problem with that.

I just have an issue with the crowd being scummy c*nts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

TbL

This is rubbish, nobody is asking for silence, just cut out the booing of the greatest entertainer in the game currently,and current world champ.

It's disrespectful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

It won't be anywhere near that level of upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I can't see that being enough to win... Taylor may be unlikable...but he's a master at putting pressure on people...he will play tomthw crowd, slow the game down...speed up when he hits his trebles...he's well capable of a 106 average.. right now, I can only see one winner.

One factor which could go against Taylor is fatigue, a long match might not suit him. But having said that Taylors experience will be his biggest advantage.

Hopefully cross can just get on with his game, took a lot of bottle to do what he did tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

How many people have lost heart and not done something because someone close to them has told them they can't do it, that they've no hope, it's all a foregone conclusion, they may aswell not try, they don't have what it takes to overcome challenge, etc

I'm with Taylor for the final, but let's give Cross a chance. The kid believes in himself, persevered, fought, and look at the darts he is throwing. We will have a game here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Cross has been incredibly consistent all tournament and his previous close matches haven't hurt him at all, quite the opposite so I wouldn't be too worried about him. Although the man needs an IV surely the sweat was pouring off him all night.

I despise Taylor so I'm hoping Cross batters him. Not a massive fan of Cross either but he's growing on me. Has a punchable face though and his throw pisses me off a little. Jesus what a story if he wins though. Twud be a passing of the torch too if the little hunchback does stick to his word and pisses off after this. Win or lose I do think he'll stick around.

• Advertisement

This is rubbish, nobody is asking for silence, just cut out the booing of the greatest entertainer in the game currently,and current world champ.

It's disrespectful

Are you slow?

Where did I say it's acceptable.

I said it's part of the game and players should have the skill set to deal with it.

Yes it'd be preferable if it didn't happen.

I'm curious what would be your solution to stamp it out?

TbL

Advertisement