Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017/18 PDC World Championship

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MOD NOTE: I've handed out some warnings as some people have gone over the top against Taylor despite my previous post.

No more warnings will be given, any more abuse against Taylor and bans will be handed out. I have no problem with people saying he is not a nice person but abuse is not on.

We have all enjoyed one of the best darts ever seen, lets keep it civil!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's the idiots who wolf whistle or make deliberate noise when a player is throwing who should be turfed out, the booing is part of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Capajoma

It's a professional sport, get used to the crowd booing or jeering to try to put you off. When a footballer is taking a penalty the crowd is much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Are you slow?

Where did I say it's acceptable.

I said it's part of the game and players should have the skill set to deal with it.

Yes it'd be preferable if it didn't happen.

I'm curious what would be your solution to stamp it out?

TbL

It's ironic you asking if they're slow. No one said you said it was acceptable or said they have to find a solution.

Just that it was disgraceful/scummy.

It was. The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Yes unfortunately it's part of the game and you just have to deal with it. Merv King wears ear plugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

It's ironic you asking if there slow. No one said you said it was acceptable or said they have to find a solution.

Just that it was disgraceful/scummy.

It was. The end.

Agreed it's scummy so let's leave it there.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Darts is a victim of its own success, player's wanted more prize money so hearn tried to find a way of generating more income so being a bit free and easy with crowd behaviour and making it a party atmosphere has brought the bigger crowds in and generated bigger revenue.

But unfortunately that's led to unsavoury behaviour like seen tonight with mvg booing. Im not a fan of it but we have to remember bigger revenues lead to more players turning pro which has led to the consistency of higher stardards the last ten years

Agreed it's scummy so let's leave it there.

TbL

I don't think it altered the game. I just thought it was scummy and I wanted MVG to win more because of it. That's all.

Anyway, what a performance from Cross.

Jesus I hope he stuffs Taylor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I don't think it altered the game. I just thought it was scummy and I wanted MVG to win more because of it. That's all.

Anyway, what a performance from Cross.

Jesus I hope he stuffs Taylor.

Unfortunately I think Taylor will win it and might reconsider his retirement.

Cross looks like a decent battler and not a bottler but let's hope he doesn't do a Peter Manly on it!

TbL

M

jamesbere wrote: »
    Darts is a victim of its own success, player's wanted more prize money so hearn tried to find a way of generating more income so being a bit free and easy with crowd behaviour and making it a party atmosphere has brought the bigger crowds in and generated bigger revenue.

But unfortunately that's led to unsavoury behaviour like seen tonight with mvg booing. Im not a fan of it but we have to remember bigger revenues lead to more players turning pro which has led to the consistency of higher stardards the last ten years

Yes it's a hard one to balance, if you removed the alcohol and had tiered seating it would have the atmosphere of a game of squash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Van Gerwens opponents have often been jeered and booed it levels itself out. He's been sloppy on doubles all week so don't think it had an effect.

Don't care who wins tomorrow equally happy for both. What a game it will be.

Cross is up to 2nd best player in the world on Ultimates Order Of Merit :)

Unfortunately I think Taylor will win it and might reconsider his retirement.

Cross looks like a decent battler and not a bottler but let's hope he doesn't do a Peter Manly on it!

TbL

God yeah...when 'One Dart' had one dart at a double in 14 sets.*

I'd settle for a Kevin Painter-esque performance.

* may not be entirely true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Yes it's a hard one to balance, if you removed the alcohol and had tiered seating it would have the atmosphere of a game of squash.

Extremely hard to balance, I think they've gone over the edge really. Booing and cheering on crucial darts should be clamped down a bit but on the other hand maybe this is just modern darts and players will just have to cope with it.

It's noise. It shouldnt matter...it's constant anyway so it's not like there's quiet and then someone shouts when a player is throwing.

You can't legislate for drunken toe rags but that doesn't mean they need to clamp down on anything. Assh*les will still be assh*les with drink in them. Just louder. Along with the non-assh*les who are louder and good natured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Capajoma wrote: »
    It's a professional sport, get used to the crowd booing or jeering to try to put you off. When a footballer is taking a penalty the crowd is much worse.

jaysus, I know where ur coming from but a dart player trying to hit a tiny double compared to a 100k a week Pro trying to put a ball in to a goal, 24ft x 8 ft wide

I know which I would rather.....well, the 100k and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Since when has it become acceptable to boo and whistle when someone's throwing darts,even at local darts tournaments you make a sound when the opposition is throwing and you'd get turfed out, disgraceful morons

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Since when has it become acceptable to boo and whistle when someone's throwing darts,even at local darts tournaments you make a sound when the opposition is throwing and you'd get turfed out, disgraceful morons

Unfortunately this is the way it's gone. If you're not happy as a dart player on the PDC circuit then switch to the BDO, you'll get best of order but you'll be playing for peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

amazing semi between Cross and MVG. lots of us Including myself never heard of Cross before and he is really a new wonder and is one win away from being the new WORLD CHAMPION (a real underdog story)

MVG look devastated and it would of been nice to see MVG vs Taylor one final time but wasn't meant to be

fair play to Taylor on getting to the final although he's been lucky with his opponents. think dont

Think its written in the stars Cross will win the final and Taylor will pass on the mantle to him.

fair play to Jamie Lewis terrific championship by him considering his form all year

loved the championship this year and looking forward to the final and the opening league night in Dublin (we might even get an MVG vs Cross rematch)

Cross was fancied by many to do well in this tournament. Had ran MVG close in previous tournaments.

M

Cross was fancied by many to do well in this tournament. Had ran MVG close in previous tournaments.

Any idea what his odds were from the outset?

I see him mentioned here at 8/1 but I'd imagine he was multiples of that...
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/darts/pdc-world-darts-championship-2018-11688380

• Advertisement

From oddschecker dated 13 Dec.
    A massive 400/1 in July, Cross’ odds have tumbled throughout the months and he is now a 16-1 best price to win the Worlds. Since the World Grand Prix, 20% of bets have been placed on Cross, more than any other player apart from van Gerwen.

Bit surprised myself how low the odds were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Target are happy anyway.. Nice to have both of their throwers in the final

Just to repeat a few points that have already been made.. Cross has had an extraordinary year (including some amazing games against Mvg) but whether he could do it on tele has been put to bed now.. He's shown more bottle than an old milkman so safe to say he's over any nerves shown earlier in the year.. My main worry is that he could struggle to raise/repeat his game again in the final.. Emotionally that could of taken a lot out of him.. But I'd love to see him win it.. He has the game to be at the top of the rankings for many many years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

A lot of the issue is with the time of matches

I mean FFS when was the last dart thrown, it must have been after 12. If the crowd had gathered in the arena sometime after 7 that would give 5 hours drinking time. And that's not including those who would have drank beforehand - I'm sure plenty would have made an all dayer of it

Even if you refused drunk people entry to the arena, those that do get in could still be conceivably up to 10 pints deep by the last set.

It's not nice to see but it's here to stay I'm afraid and frankly players will just have to get on with it.

The same idiots will probably boo Cross tomorrow now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Think it was around quarter past 12 when the last leg ended, massive amount of people well pissed last night by that stage.

Hopefully Cross spends the next 24 hours throwing darts at double 16, missed a fair whack of those. Still can't believe when it came to the crunch MVG missed the doubles at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

jr86 wrote: »
    A lot of the issue is with the time of matches

I mean FFS when was the last dart thrown, it must have been after 12. If the crowd had gathered in the arena sometime after 7 that would give 5 hours drinking time. And that's not including those who would have drank beforehand - I'm sure plenty would have made an all dayer of it

Even if you refused drunk people entry to the arena, those that do get in could still be conceivably up to 10 pints deep by the last set.

It's not nice to see but it's here to stay I'm afraid and frankly players will just have to get on with it.

The same idiots will probably boo Cross tomorrow now

Absolutely correct

Just on Cross at the double 16s, it's been odd in a way seeing so few players in the latter stages this year favour tops

I always thought itd be more a natural throw for many than double 16, given 90% of the gameplay (at least) is directed at the 20 bed.

Depends on throwing style I suppose but I would have thought it's also much more suited to "markers" too than double 16 where you have to adjust a lot of the time. I guess the double 8 being in close proximity is a large reason for D16 though

At one stage Cross had 48 left and landed just inside the big 16 bed on the 7 side, when it would have made much more sense to throw much nearer towards the 8 as if worst came to worst he'd be left with D20. He really doesn't seem to overly fancy it.

He'll most likely need a massive return on doubles tomorrow to have any chance

I'm also surprised at how infrequently players split a 30, 18 or 10 (for example) with 3 darts in hand, (with 10- Double 10; 2 - Double 8; or 2 - Double 4)

I remember jelle klaasen would do it a fair bit. Psychologically hitting big 15 with first dart going for a 30 checkout would make you much more tense you'd imagine

Setting up for 2 clear darts at a more favoured double is a smart play I would have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I'm one of the once a year brigade watching the darts. Tremendous spectacle and an incredible level of darts - several levels above the BDO version. However, those muppets in the crowd who felt it necessary to boo MVG were disgraceful.

Anyone tuning for the first time would surely have been disgusted and potentially put off watching any more darts, anytime soon. The level of energy in the room is great and the singing during games obviously doesn't affect the players, but surely MVG was at a disadvantage when throwing in those final few games.

Not sure what you can do or say to the crowd to keep that down without affecting the overall atmosphere which make the event what it is. Perhaps its the Taylor effect in his last tournament and it won't be so bad in future events.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I'm one of the once a year brigade watching the darts. Tremendous spectacle and an incredible level of darts - several levels above the BDO version. However, those muppets in the crowd who felt it necessary to boo MVG were disgraceful.

Anyone tuning for the first time would surely have been disgusted and potentially put off watching any more darts, anytime soon. The level of energy in the room is great and the singing during games obviously doesn't affect the players, but surely MVG was at a disadvantage when throwing in those final few games.

Not sure what you can do or say to the crowd to keep that down without affecting the overall atmosphere which make the event what it is. Perhaps its the Taylor effect in his last tournament and it won't be so bad in future events.

Said it earlier, MvG had benefited from the crowd booing his opponent plenty of times. It evens out. Still think it's idiodic though

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    Just on Cross at the double 16s, it's been odd in a way seeing so few players in the latter stages this year favour tops

I always thought itd be more a natural throw for many than double 16, given 90% of the gameplay (at least) is directed at the 20 bed.

Depends on throwing style I suppose but I would have thought it's also much more suited to "markers" too than double 16 where you have to adjust a lot of the time. I guess the double 8 being in close proximity is a large reason for D16 though

At one stage Cross had 48 left and landed just inside the big 16 bed on the 7 side, when it would have made much more sense to throw much nearer towards the 8 as if worst came to worst he'd be left with D20. He really doesn't seem to overly fancy it.

He'll most likely need a massive return on doubles tomorrow to have any chance

Think the reason for d16 is that it divides evenly down as far as D1 if your hitting singles whereas tops will have you stuck on 5. Couldn't believe that cross didn't try another double though after plenty wayword ones at d16

I think if cross plays anywhere near the level he did last night he wins handy. Big scores and big set ups at the right moments. Big balls.

Taylor's been very lucky, outscored by everyone. Did Lewis miss a dart to win every set last night?

Advertisement