Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017/18 PDC World Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Think the reason for d16 is that it divides evenly down as far as D1 if your hitting singles whereas tops will have you stuck on 5. Couldn't believe that cross didn't try another double though after plenty wayword ones at d16

I think if cross plays anywhere near the level he did last night he wins handy. Big scores and big set ups at the right moments. Big balls.

Taylor's been very lucky, outscored by everyone. Did Lewis miss a dart to win every set last night?

I think cross problem is when he goes for double 16 his dart goes in on an angle so if he misses he blocks over half the bed and either having to aim high or move over to the right to get a better shot.

I was thinking tops might suit him better but considering he bends over and really has a forceful throw maybe tops is awkward for him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

jamesbere wrote: »
    I think cross problem is when he goes for double 16 his dart goes in on an angle so if he misses he blocks over half the bed and either having to aim high or move over to the right to get a better shot.

I was thinking tops might suit him better but considering he bends over and really has a forceful throw maybe tops is awkward for him

Yes it does appear that the angle his darts land seem to cause him additional problems if he misses with the first one as he then has a smaller area to aim at

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Think the reason for d16 is that it divides evenly down as far as D1 if your hitting singles whereas tops will have you stuck on 5. Couldn't believe that cross didn't try another double though after plenty wayword ones at d16

I think if cross plays anywhere near the level he did last night he wins handy. Big scores and big set ups at the right moments. Big balls.

Taylor's been very lucky, outscored by everyone. Did Lewis miss a dart to win every set last night?

3-1 v Dobey, not outscored
    4-0 v Pipe, not outscored
    4-0 v Brown, not outscored
    5-3 v Anderson, not outscored
    6-1 v Lewis, did get outscored

Not lucky in the slightest and not outscored by everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I'm one of the once a year brigade watching the darts. Tremendous spectacle and an incredible level of darts - several levels above the BDO version. However, those muppets in the crowd who felt it necessary to boo MVG were disgraceful.

Anyone tuning for the first time would surely have been disgusted and potentially put off watching any more darts, anytime soon. The level of energy in the room is great and the singing during games obviously doesn't affect the players, but surely MVG was at a disadvantage when throwing in those final few games.

Not sure what you can do or say to the crowd to keep that down without affecting the overall atmosphere which make the event what it is. Perhaps its the Taylor effect in his last tournament and it won't be so bad in future events.

Aye it got to him as well.

Anyone but Taylor, really hope Cross doesn't bottle it, his darts are defo well good enough to put Taylor away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

mdwexford wrote: »
    3-1 v Dobey, not outscored
    4-0 v Pipe, not outscored
    4-0 v Brown, not outscored
    5-3 v Anderson, not outscored
    6-1 v Lewis, did get outscored

Not lucky in the slightest and not outscored by everyone.

Would agree, Taylor has played solidly without been spectacular. I would just give him the edge over Cross. Should be a good final though

Would agree, Taylor has played solidly without been spectacular. I would just give him the edge over Cross. Should be a good final though

I was very impressed with the clutch darts shown by Cross last night, the number of times he put the third arrow in the double when he absolutely had to was highly impressive and was without doubt the winning of the match. If he continues in that vein against Taylor and doesn't let the occassion get to him he is imho the favourite, but no doubt Taylor will fanny around, slow the game down and try and get inside his head like he did to Anderson, how he deals with this will be key!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So I backed Cross to lose the final before the start of the tournament, thinking he'd be playing Anderson, but now I'm afraid he'll win the damn thing and want to cover. Think Taylor will at worst put up a decent showing so I'm looking for a way to bet on 7-3 or 7-4 to 7-6 for Cross, other than individual correct match scores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

So I backed Cross to lose the final before the start of the tournament, thinking he'd be playing Anderson, but now I'm afraid he'll win the damn thing and want to cover. Think Taylor will at worst put up a decent showing so I'm looking for a way to bet on 7-3 or 7-4 to 7-6 for Cross, other than individual correct match scores.

Stake and price on Cross bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

danganabu wrote: »
    Stake and price on Cross bet?

7 quid at 20/1. But I've blown round 100 total on the PDC. So if I spend round 50 on the cover bet, I will break even (about) on a Taylor win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Taylor to go out with a win for me is a nightmare, having met him once and seen some of his interviews when beaten, an absolute tosser - I really hope Cross doesn't bottle it.

T9iRYO8.png

mzW6bFX.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

7 quid at 20/1. But I've blown round 100 total on the PDC. So if I spend round 50 on the cover bet, I will break even (about) on a Taylor win.

Safest bet is Cross + 1.5 sets and you get paid on both bets if Taylor wins 7-6.

If like the vast majority on here, myself included, you have a shall we say disliking for Mr Taylor, then I would let it run, Taylor wins and at least you have monetary consolation and Cross wins happy fcuking days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Moneyline is a lot lot closer than I thought it would be. @2.06 vs @1.93 when I last checked.

Although Cross has been a monster and looks to take every step in his stride, pardon the pun, he is a rookie in the world championship final against a man with all the experience and know how in the world and with all the motivation in the world if he holds to his word about retiring. Value in backing Taylor surely.

However you see Cross after ousting Van Gerwen and battling against Bully Boy who couldn't have done more and DVDB who was unlucky but still played very very well. He'll have nothing to fear. If he doesn't melt under the pressure we'll be in for a cracking final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Urindanger wrote: »

However you see Cross after ousting Van Gerwen and battling against Bully Boy who couldn't have done more and DVDB who was unlucky but still played very very well. He'll have nothing to fear. If he doesn't melt under the pressure we'll be in for a cracking final.

Taylor will be under just as much pressure. Cross has to tell himself he has nothing to lose.
    I think he has a great chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Hadnt realised the semi finals were on channel 121 last night. No sign of the final on it though, father in law is hopping

Was thinking of lumping a wad on Taylor at 5/6, didn't think he'd be those odds, seem good to me.

I haven't predicted a correct result so far but I'm sorely tempted by those odds

TbL

Is there a changing of the guard? Some like A Lewis and Wade look in trouble, Taylor is obviously gone after tomorrow. Meanwhile, some from the next tier like Thornton, Painter and Chisnall, and those touted as the next big thing like Huybrechts seem further away than ever. I appreciate A Lewis and Huybrechts have time on their side, but I can't recall a World Championship that appeared to herald such a change. Even 2007 there was a sense that Mardle missed his (long shot) chance and Shepherd was not going to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Rob Cross, highest checkout, most 180s and lose the match. 11/4. Think that's a decent bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mokeydope

D.Q wrote: »
    Rob Cross, highest checkout, most 180s and lose the match. 11/4. Think that's a decent bet.

Good bet alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

It is a good bet,I might have a bit of that myself...Phil was never a crazy maximum hitter and his big checkouts have faded the past few years but he always scores well and finishes at the right times.

Think I stick on Taylor winning outright at 5/6, one of the others would probably let me down

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Them bets are dodgy, as most of this championship has to be honest.....

MVG v Wilson, I think MVG was about 1/20 to win, yet, win and most 180s was 4/6:o:eek:... I thought easy money, jaysus, got stung big time, won 12-0 in legs and was 4 each on 180s..... 1/20 could be wrong but wasn't far off it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Bookies bet, for sure. Most 180s is as close to a cert as you'll get but highest checkout is a coin flip. PP offering 8/11 on Cross for highest checkout with Taylor 5/6 to win the match (that's over 3/1). No value in factoring in the most 180s for a shorter price IMO

Lazarus2.0 wrote: »
    Bookies bet, for sure. Most 180s is as close to a cert as you'll get but highest checkout is a coin flip. PP offering 8/11 on Cross for highest checkout with Taylor 5/6 to win the match (that's over 3/1). No value in factoring in the most 180s for a shorter price IMO

yep, at end of the day, its a treble...bookies throw the above at ye and it looks good but usually a graveyard

raiders11 wrote: »
    yep, at end of the day, its a treble...bookies throw the above at ye and it looks good but usually a graveyard

The only bad part of that bet is Cross to lose.

Have done well on individual bets on this tourney bar the one I mentioned where I lumped on too much, it was a double, win and most 180s, even the nettles don't cure that sting.....

raiders11 wrote: »
    Have done well on individual bets on this tourney bar the one I mentioned where I lumped on too much, it was a double, win and most 180s, even the nettles don't cure that sting.....

Im a gambler,felt that sting too many times.
    My darts bets are for fun,Ill keep the horses for making money haha.

You are dead right that its a good bookies bet,I wouldnt lump on anything in this world championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

You mean apart from the fact that the 3 components of the bet represent a treble at 4/1 or thereabouts and are being offered at 11/4 ? Given that 2 legs of the treble counter the third I think it's way past bad to be knocking a full point off the bet. Maybe that's just me though ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Hope Taylor can take it out tomorrow and retire on the top of the mountain!! Best their is/was/everwillbe

Advertisement