Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017/18 PDC World Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kentoccfc

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Will the pressure of catching up on phils record get to MVG head ? he needs a solid 2018 and gameplan if he wants to challenge it :)

MVG’s always said he isn’t interested in breaking Taylor’s record for world titles - he won’t be playing into his 50’s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Hococop wrote: »
    I'd say mvg absolutely hates this, he knows cross doesn't get phased, all the jumping celebrating won't bother him one bit

Weirdly enough I think MVG will love this, MVG or any great chmpion for that matter needs a rival and someone to push them, if it was only Mensur, Snakebite, Anderson ( on this years form) etc. then MVG would go staale very quickly, MVG will raise his game again. MVG's biggest problems with the worlds is the set format, he is not nearly as dominant becasue he doesnt play the player he plays the board, much better suited to legs as opposed to sets, Cross is actually similar in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'd say mvg absolutely hates this, he knows cross doesn't get phased, all the jumping celebrating won't bother him one bit

I'd say MVG was thinking that he was in the clear when phil said he'd be retiring but now maybe not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Well Lads a great way to end a great 2 weeks, we seen Paul Lim nearly do another 9 darter, we now have 2 excellant new talents in cross and lewis who will put it up to MVG going forward and phil taylor has retired.

BDO its over to you, Heeyyy Baby, i wanna knooooow, lets play darts, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

martyos121 wrote: »
    In fairness, that’s a perspective I can understand when it’s put like that. Some of the other arguments in favour of it on here are completely bogus though. That one at least makes sense, though I still don’t personally like to see it.

Also, consider this.

It is refreshing that a truly brilliant dart player, who has just won the World Championship on debut, who has every right to be as arrogant and cock-sure as you like, and is £400k richer, is a humble man who isn't baying for the spotlight.

For instance, I love MVG's dart playing, but him telling me how brilliant he is every time he wins, and how he'll definitely win if he plays well, gets tiring.

Show respect.
    Get respect.
    Win.
    Leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

kentoccfc wrote: »
    MVG’s always said he isn’t interested in breaking Taylor’s record for world titles - he won’t be playing into his 50’s

i aint interested in winning the lotto :) dont belive what u read i can see MVG catching up slowly but surely :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

By not handing it to him in the first place?! Had to double check that I actually read that correctly.

He’s held it enough times, I really hate to see someone lift a trophy when they haven’t earned it, it’s one of the most cringeworthy things in sport and doubly so when you act the maggot like Taylor did tonight (and many other times).

I didnt see him hand it to him so i just assumed Taylor had held it.

But for all the vitriol Taylor gets, a lot of players respect what he's done for the sport. And what darts player wouldn't have grown up when Cross did wanting to emulate Taylor.

Its a photo op...a changing of the guard. Maybe someone had suggested it. Fine...Taylor holds the trophy for 30s. Cross has it for 2018.

A respectful gesture. One that cost Cross nothing and he looks like the bigger, better person for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

^^^ MvG doesn't have a hope of catching Taylor

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I didnt see him hand it to him so i just assumed Taylor had held it.

But for all the vitriol Taylor gets, a lot of players respect what he's done for the sport. And what darts player wouldn't have grown up when Cross did wanting to emulate Taylor.

Its a photo op...a changing of the guard. Maybe someone had suggested it. Fine...Taylor holds the trophy for 30s. Cross has it for 2018.

A respectful gesture. One that cost Cross nothing and he looks like the bigger, better person for it.

Again, I understand that others might have seen it in a different like, it’s just something I perceive as tacky. A personal opinion, that’s it. Cross is a magnificent thrower and I’ll continue to look forward to his matches.

I don't really think MVG will be bothered by Cross winning other than because he knows he missed his chances.

There isn't a hope he believes anyone is actually better than him and missing the doubles he did the other night will only convince him only true opponent is himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

World match play trophy is gonna be called Taylor trophy

Disappointing that Whitlock got into the PL ahead of Jamie Lewis. He’d have been a good addition.

I don't really think MVG will be bothered by Cross winning other than because he knows he missed his chances.

There isn't a hope he believes anyone is actually better than him.

Exactly

He had an off night on doubles which won't always happen

Different story if he was outclassed

The matchplay trophy is being renamed for phil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

World match play trophy is gonna be called Taylor trophy

Nice touch to honor a legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Disappointing that Whitlock got into the PL ahead of Jamie Lewis. He’d have been a good addition.

What’s the full line up?

Barney picked again, usually picked for popularity more that his form

Dont agree with Whitlock but Lewis has a long way to go before consideration imo. He barely even qualified for the world's remember.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What’s the full line up?

MVG, Anderson, Wright, Gurney, Barney, Suljovic, Cross, Price, Smith and Whitlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭klose

Hope sky don't have Phil Taylor on the couch with the lads for next year and any other televised events, I'd say they'd love him for it though.

• Advertisement

Barney picked again, usually picked for popularity more that his form

Fair enough really, he's one of the most well known to casual fans

I'm assuming he meant vertical?

jr86 wrote: »
    Dont agree with Whitlock but Lewis has a long way to go before consideration imo. He barely even qualified for the world's remember.

Fair enough but he looked to have turned a corner in this tournament. Maybe it’s just a purple patch but he looked to be throwing very consistently and would likely have been a finalist only for an awful night on the doubles. Who would you go for instead of Whitlock out of interest? Plenty of options out there tbf.

Whitlock and Smith are the only 2 that I could question in picks

Horizontally up ? Relax Barry. Wonder what the announcement about the world championships next year ?

BDO its over to you, Heeyyy Baby, i wanna knooooow, lets play darts, lol

What's the cash monies for a 19-darter this year?

Fair enough but he looked to have turned a corner in this tournament. Maybe it’s just a purple patch but he looked to be throwing very consistently and would likely have been a finalist only for an awful night on the doubles. Who would you go for instead of Whitlock out of interest? Plenty of options out there tbf.

He's very erratic though, there's too big a chance he'd barely win a match

Definitely next year if he can show some consistency

Wouldn't have minded van den berg getting a go. I'm a little surprised Adrian Lewis still didn't make it despite his decline though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Whitlock and Smith are the only 2 that I could question in picks

Nah Smith is a good choice imo. Whitlock is a little puzzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

No room for Jamie Lewis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    No room for Jamie Lewis?

Think he's something like 30th after the World's, would've been a bit of a leap.

Advertisement