Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017/18 PDC World Championship

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Cross didn't show one bit of emotion after winning. The man's an animal and I can't wait to see him and MvG battle it out next year

Jamie Lewis has no business being mentioned no where good enough for premier league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

no way was jamie lewis ever getting in because of 1 event
    he had a terrible year otherwise

getting battered every week could fcuk him up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Mr. Guappa wrote:
    Think he's something like 30th after the World's, would've been a bit of a leap.

Cool, wasn't sure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I think for the picks outside of the top four they should all be players who have either risen in the rankings or stayed in the top ten,not popularity players,I know it's not a "major" even though they call it one now,maybe the world youth champ gets automatic pic as well,gain some vital experience

Mvg v cross for the next decade will push darts to the limit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Just when Snakebite looked to be inching his way closer to the top in hops in Cross. Mad sport. Van Gerwen, Anderson, Wright and Cross is some top 4 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I can't get over Cross' bottle for a rookie on that stage. Nothing fazed him. The water incident, the near 9-darter, Taylor acting the maggot.. it all just washed over Cross. Then he takes out 302 in 6 darts to win the World Championship. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I enjoyed that immensely. Well done Rob Cross, incredible performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Loved the last few days of the darts. It's almost taken over the Christmas as the best sport from the football at this stage. Delighted cross won.

As for Taylor, I've never liked the guy but he's a legend of the sport and deserves a good send off like he got tonight. I think this will help MVG going forward as the crowd won't be so against him if he's not denying their darling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

Well done Cross, very nice sportsmanship between the two in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Absolute brilliance from Cross tonight.

Can't believe the spanking he gave a pompous Phil Taylor either, took it home with sheer class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

It was a huge advantage to Cross getting out of the gate quickly and quietening the crowd - the only chink he showed all tournament was when the crowd got behind van den berghs comeback,

One the greatest performances in championship darts imo and now only 1 world title behind MVG :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's obviously the shaven heads that's giving these young guys the edge. Less...air resistance...or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

Thought Phil was being reasonably gracious until he came out with the "I'm too old and I'm not interested" guff. If he had won the match it probably would have being the " these young players are not willing to put in the practice" shtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

squadro wrote: »
    Thought Phil was being reasonably gracious until he came out with the "I'm too old and I'm not interested" guff. If he had won the match it probably would have being the " these young players are not willing to put in the practice" shtick.

Gracious.... He only grudgingly accepted that Cross was the better player on the night and that was early in the interview. The man is an asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Haven't read back through the comments but thought it was a **** final. Tayor was rubbish regardless of his average and cringe at certain moments.

Cross though was amazing. He was the definition of "playing the board" and Taylor did not get to him. Some amazing scoring and even better finishing.

Expected Taylor to be way more emotional at the end for some reason but he seemed happy out and magnanimous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Congrats to Rob Cross, an achievement that cannot be underestimated but can be appreciated given his origin into the world of professional darts.... A savage performance. To Phil Taylor.....you have given darts fans decades of entertainment and have put darts truly on the sporting map. No matter what has gone in your personal life...your darting life will never be replicated and should always be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I think i've won "Taylor post match" bingo.

"I can't hear you."
    "He's like me X years ago."
    "I'm a granddad"
    "mouthing something while in the background of a shot"

Surprisingly, he forgot to name drop Ronnie O'Sullivan or Robbie Williams.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Taylor is the Hulk Hogan of darts.

Yeah and he’s a prick too.

people said the same of mark dudbridge after 05 final so lets just wait and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

sc86 wrote: »

Saying he'll dominate world darts for the next 20 years is premature but he is no Kirk Shepherd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Saying he'll dominate world darts for the next 20 years is premature but he is no Kirk Shepherd.

Poor Kirk quit his job and all after getting the 50k runners up prize never to be seen again , that was a really bad tournament that year as I remember it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

mightyreds wrote: »
    Poor Kirk quit his job and all after getting the 50k runners up prize never to be seen again , that was a really bad tournament that year as I remember it

Yup the only thing that saved the tournament that year was Shepherd coming from nowhere and Mardle beating Taylor in the quarters .. I think Shepherd beat Mick McGowan on the way to the final and that's the only other memorable thing that year ..

sc86 wrote: »

Dudbridge never had a season like cross has just had,even minus the worlds,no way this guy is a flash in the pan..only dartitis will stop him Imo, exciting times,plenty of good players now,not just two three like most of Taylor's era

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Cross played very well. Deserving winner.

Taylor was a great player, but isn't a good person. He's in terrible shape physically.

Goodbye and good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭klose

I think saying he played very well is underselling what cross done last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

According to wiki - no one in that tournament achieved a match average of over 100 (for the first time since 1995)

To put that into perspective, this year 8 players averaged 100+ in the first round alone!!!

Shepherd's tournament average was 83! He just played mentally suspect players the whole way through and rode his luck something monstrous

There was a horrible flu going around at the time I remember (had it myself that Christmas), Wade and Barney in particular got bad doses of it

Taylor was in poor form at the time. Well beaten by Jenkins at the Matchplay and went out in the first round at the Grand Prix

Dudbridge never had a season like cross has just had,even minus the worlds,no way this guy is a flash in the pan..only dartitis will stop him Imo, exciting times,plenty of good players now,not just two three like most of Taylor's era

i know cross is diff animal im just saying you never know
    saying its him v mvg for next 10 years is just silly

dudbridge had a decent couple of years around then
    hes doing q school this year i see
    he had some fall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Cross will be world number 1 this week next year

• Advertisement

Afair young Kirk said he told his employer to go stick his job, which no doubt sounded great to him at the time but came across as ugly.

Cross was pretty sensational last night. He crushed Taylor, did everything right, even when behind in legs he piled on the pressure as showed in Taylor's missed 9 darter. Taylor was below par but Cross looks the real deal, it's possible that he could become another Dudbridge but disposing of Van Gerwen and Taylor...you'd have to give him a great chance of remaining with the elite and being a force for years to come.

Advertisement