Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017/18 PDC World Championship

Options
1585960616264»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

1st Round we had 25/32 games were 3-1 or 3-0

2nd Round 11/16 games were 4-1 or 4-0

3rd Round 6/8 games were 4-1 or 4-0

Not the most thrilling World Championship, 2 good exciting games really in the whole competition. Roll on Lakeside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

1st Round we had 25/32 games were 3-1 or 3-0

2nd Round 11/16 games were 4-1 or 4-0

3rd Round 6/8 games were 4-1 or 4-0

Not the most thrilling World Championship, 2 good exciting games really in the whole competition. Roll on Lakeside.

I think Cross was involved in the best matches..Smith, DvdB and MvG.

Yep. Those 3 games only ones worth remembering. Even the final was ****e to be honest, was over after the first set.

Yep. Those 3 games only ones worth remembering. Even the final was ****e to be honest, was over after the first set.

You could see Cross looked good after the first set and then the 164 out told me he was a cert to go on and win. He is very methodical. Looks like he was playing dart by dart and not letting himself think ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Taylor was below par.

No he wasn't, Taylor threw his highest three dart average at the Worlds since the 2015 semi over three years ago. He came out with the usual spiel about not been interested and motivated etc. truth is he was at the top of his game and was spanked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Dudbridge never had a season like cross has just had,even minus the worlds,no way this guy is a flash in the pan..only dartitis will stop him Imo, exciting times,plenty of good players now,not just two three like most of Taylor's era

Can't see Cross fading like Dudbridge but in fairness Dudbridge did reach the Matchplay final the year before his WC final appearance

Back when the Matchplay, Grand Prix and WC were the "big three" in a much less compressed calendar

danganabu wrote: »
    No he wasn't, Taylor threw his highest three dart average at the Worlds since the 2015 semi over three years ago. He came out with the usual spiel about not been interested and motivated etc. truth is he was at the top of his game and was spanked.

You thought that was Taylor at the top of his game last night?

I disagree. I think the top of his game was about 7 years ago when he had a few averages that neared 120.

He wasn't anywhere near top of his game. Averages don't always tell the story.

I disagree. I think the top of his game was about 7 years ago when he had a few averages that neared 120.

I'm talking about the current Phil Taylor - last night was better than he had thrown all championship, truth is he had a handy run to the final and had no answer to Cross.

And when did he average 120 in a best of 13 sets???

He wasn't anywhere near top of his game. Averages don't always tell the story.

He wasn't let, that is my point, he was outplayed in every facet of the game, even in the mind games. Cross has said that Taylor was his hero, his idol and it was quite evident that that was true and he knew exactly what Taylor was going to do and had the perfect counter everytime, it was textbook matchplay. Hammer the hammer as the saying goes.

Taylors scoring was there, for the first time in the championship as evidenced by the averages but everytime he went for the killer punch or the big kill Cross came back with a bigger one, he out-Taylored, Taylor.

• Advertisement

He wasn't let, that is my point, he was outplayed in every facet of the game, even in the mind games. Cross has said that Taylor was his hero, his idol and it was quite evident that that was true and he knew exactly what Taylor was going to do and had the perfect counter everytime, it was textbook matchplay. Hammer the hammer as the saying goes.

Taylors scoring was there, for the first time in the championship as evidenced by the averages but everytime he went for the killer punch or the big kill Cross came back with a bigger one, he out-Taylored, Taylor.

Not taking anything away from Cross atall, he did the job. Highest ever final average, just saying it was FAR from Taylor's best. He's scoring was there but not when it mattered. His set up shots and finishing wasn't great.

Taylor played very well, as well as he has the last few seasons. Not the darts of his life but at 57 how could he? The relentless scoring from Rob Cross and the timing was too much for him.

In the semi final Anderson was on 9 and taylor on 200+. He hit a 170 to leave a double. Pressure now on Ando and he missed the finish and Taylor cleaned up in typical fashion.

Rob Cross did the very same to Taylor in the final either not letting him get to a finish or a very high finish or always breathing down his neck waiting to clean up if he missed. The almost 9 dart leg was typical. He missed 3 darts with 24 left and Cross came in to clean up 83 in two darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So I listened to it on the way home last night but watched the final today.

Cross was by far the better player, but as was said in commentary, Phil didn't exactly play shyte either.. it's just he's not (as he said himself) able to compete at that level/pace anymore.
    He got himself to the final of the World Darts one last time and played against one of the best players out there and a future star (I reckon).

No shame in that at all and they were BOTH very gracious afterwards I thought (far more so than some posters here I have to say!) Like it or not, Phil retires as the greatest player ever to play the game
    with a record to be envied. So what if he's not a nice guy? It takes nothing away from that achievement, and Cross recognized that as a true champion himself.

I for one wish Phil all the best in his retirement, and look forward to seeing Rob Cross build his own records and legacy in the years to come :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Hearn mentioned at the end of his PL picks that the PDC has a bug announcement coming over the coming days. I wonder will they add another comp in between the Matchplay and the Grand Prix?

Nevermind... Rod Harrington said its a prizemoney announcement

statto25 wrote: »
    Hearn mentioned at the end of his PL picks that the PDC has a bug announcement coming over the coming days. I wonder will they add another comp in between the Matchplay and the Grand Prix?

The PDC are also going to change the meaning of both Horizontal and Vertical :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Anyone know what the new song was after a set was over and they were about to go for a break?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭prunudo

Johner wrote: »
    Anyone know what the new song was after a set was over and they were about to go for a break?

Chase the Sun:- Planet Funk

https://youtu.be/T6SvXr9r3OQ

jvan wrote: »
    Chase the Sun:- Planet Funk

https://youtu.be/T6SvXr9r3OQ

They got rid of that one, was a new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Chelsea's dagger

It was chasing the sun between sets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

They’ve been playing free from desire a bit over the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

statto25 wrote: »

I'm guessing it'll be a headline grabbing £500K for next years winner (with little or no increase to the rest of the prizes).

It was chasing the sun between sets.

Sorry it was just as they were going for a break after a set, not straight after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Sunshine on me - Dominic marsh

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Sunshine on me - Dominic marsh

Cheers that's the one! :)

Advertisement