Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armagh 5k 15th Feb 2018

Options
  • 07-11-2017 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

http://www.armagh5k.com/

Entry Officially open for the most competitive 5k in the world.

Last Years Results

Did it for the 1st time last year and one of the best races I have done. A 1km lap around the Town Square.

For those who don't have the sub 17 time there is an open 3k on the night also for all levels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Roadtrip Testosterscone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Roadtrip Testosterscone?

Had planned on it but just noticed they have revised the entry time (now sub 16 required). May need to hit up a fast 5k somewhere before then. If not there is always the 3k

Had planned on it but just noticed they have revised the entry time (now sub 16 required). May need to hit up a fast 5k somewhere before then. If not there is always the 3k
    Jaysus. Didn't notice that. Have a sub-16 from the same race this year, so hopefully it's enough. This could be the last one. :eek:

Jaysus. Didn't notice that. Have a sub-16 from the same race this year, so hopefully it's enough. This could be the last one. :eek:

You may need to go back to a 5k specific cycle again for the sub 15 for next year :D

You may need to go back to a 5k specific cycle again for the sub 15 for next year :D
    May do - but I'm in for 2018. Whoop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Any mention of a live stream this year? Can’t find anything.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Any mention of a live stream this year? Can’t find anything.

No sign as of yet. I think it was on one of the orienteering pages last year.

Good article here for anyone interested

https://www.fastrunning.com/events-and-races/armagh-5k/what-makes-racing-in-armagh-so-special/12408

No sign as of yet. I think it was on one of the orienteering pages last year.

Good article here for anyone interested

https://www.fastrunning.com/events-and-races/armagh-5k/what-makes-racing-in-armagh-so-special/12408

You jogged my memory, NI Orienteer had it on there Facebook page last year. No mention of it this year though.

Armagh 5k Facebook going to try go live for men’s & women’s races.

Unreal race, i’ll never run it but will go spectate sometime. Good performances by a few Boardsies up there to.

• Advertisement

92 under 15

Matt Bergin 1st Irish home in 12th 8 seconds ahead of Travers

OOnegative wrote: »
    Unreal race, i’ll never run it but will go spectate sometime. Good performances by a few Boardsies up there to.

And here was me thinking I might be able to hang with MK this weekend at nationals :rolleyes:

And here was me thinking I might be able to hang with MK this weekend at nationals :rolleyes:

Ah he’ll be wrecked after that, there for the taking now!!

For anyone who is looking for insight into 5k training :D

Plenty to choose from here.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1409333106

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Darragh MCELHINNEY (Bantry AC) came 65th with a time of 14:42.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

92 under 15

Matt Bergin 1st Irish home in 12th 8 seconds ahead of Travers

It just keeps getting better and better, 100+ under 15 next year.

Just seen on Strava there, a few complaining that it's too crowded for the looped course. Saying that there should be a sub 15 race and then a 15 minute plus race. Hard to argue with it when you close to 100 guys under 15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

For anyone who is looking for insight into 5k training :D

Plenty to choose from here.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1409333106

Just had a look at his race, Average HR of 105 while doing 5min miles.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

boydkev wrote: »
    Just had a look at his race, Average HR of 105 while doing 5min miles.:eek:

Because he is super fit and the cold weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Because he is super fit and the cold weather?

I dont think that heart rate data is correct. Im not an expert and open to correction but that was close to a max effort 5k for him and might have been a pb. If thats the case he was operating north of 90% which must mean a hr higher than 160 at least. Probably a tehnological problem but as I say Im open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

pconn062 wrote: »
    Just seen on Strava there, a few complaining that it's too crowded for the looped course. Saying that there should be a sub 15 race and then a 15 minute plus race. Hard to argue with it when you close to 100 guys under 15 mins.

In fairness, it was very crowded for the first half a lap and I'd say it could have cost a few seconds to the lads right on the limit of 15, which there were a fair few of on the day. Its probably just about OK as it is though. I was at the very back so probably experienced the worst of it.

Its such a great race and I'll definitely be back again. The organisation was supreme. Having a warm area to wait before the warm up was a God send and the spread after was unreal.

I assumed the course would be pancake flat but there is a small bit of an incline towards the end of the back straight. Other than that though, you could not pick a better course. I love the idea of a 1k loop, meaning no long stretches in to the wind and even at that there is great protection from the surrounding buildings. Ticking off the laps is a great mentally and to be honest you were on the last lap before you even realised. The race just flew by.

To have 92 people going sub 15 in one race is unreal. A time like that would win the majority of road races around the country and here its just good enough for mid pack in a sizeable race. Kudos to the organisers.

In fairness, it was very crowded for the first half a lap and I'd say it could have cost a few seconds to the lads right on the limit of 15, which there were a fair few of on the day. Its probably just about OK as it is though. I was at the very back so probably experienced the worst of it.

Its such a great race and I'll definitely be back again. The organisation was supreme. Having a warm area to wait before the warm up was a God send and the spread after was unreal.

I assumed the course would be pancake flat but there is a small bit of an incline towards the end of the back straight. Other than that though, you could not pick a better course. I love the idea of a 1k loop, meaning no long stretches in to the wind and even at that there is great protection from the surrounding buildings. Ticking off the laps is a great mentally and to be honest you were on the last lap before you even realised. The race just flew by.

To have 92 people going sub 15 in one race is unreal. A time like that would win the majority of road races around the country and here its just good enough for mid pack in a sizeable race. Kudos to the organisers.

Super run M.

Advertisement