Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Tinder with a Twist

Options
  • 07-11-2017 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

I have an idea for an app (yes, I know), that is Tinder with one additional feature that sets it apart. There are similar dating apps but none like this one. I have experience in this industry, mainly working with 'white label' sites. My business partner and I are keen to own our own product instead, and have moved on from the whilte label approach.

My question - I have done some research and see it's possible to build a Tinder clone, but I would be dubious about the quality here. They could work fine but I am guessing to enable the additional key feature would be difficult or more work than building from scratch.

Does anyone have any feedback or experience to share on this - perhaps you've developed a dating product yourself? I realise this could cost 5k or 50k to build, and that design costs too - but all initial feedback welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Feedback - a key feature that sets it in apart in your head may be completely irrelevant. Find out from a large sample of dating app users whether the feature is something they'd use.

As for an additional feature to a Tinder clone being more work than building from scratch, that's impossible to tell without knowing about the feature or seeing the existing codebase. With such a vague post unfortunately the response is just as vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

punk_one82 wrote: »
    Feedback - a key feature that sets it in apart in your head may be completely irrelevant. Find out from a large sample of dating app users whether the feature is something they'd use.

As for an additional feature to a Tinder clone being more work than building from scratch, that's impossible to tell without knowing about the feature or seeing the existing codebase. With such a vague post unfortunately the response is just as vague.

Thanks for the reply! Yes totally get it's kinda short and vague! However it wouldn't make sense to just reveal the feature which is the sole differentiator.

Totally agree re feedback, that's the first step. I shared the idea on a group with around 1k members - nearly all single people - and got a great response. Dozens of comments and 95% saying it's a great idea.

Of course I know there's a difference between that and people actually downloading and using, but definite indications are there that it's a solid idea. Online dating apps are quite 'samey', but this would definitely be different and would shake up and help resolve a lot of the flaws / complaints people have when it comes to dating apps.

Next step might be to get some quotes - it'll have to be offshore or a freelancer I am thinking! Believe me I do know you get what you pay for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Another thing to note, an idea itself is worthless - it all comes down to implementation. I wouldn't worry about people hearing what your feature is. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

punk_one82 wrote: »
    Another thing to note, an idea itself is worthless - it all comes down to implementation. I wouldn't worry about people hearing what your feature is. Good luck :)

Thanks. I definitely get that :) I think there's a difference though between sharing on a closed FB group with few or zero entrepreneurs, and on such an open forum like this with many entrepreneurial devs :)

Anyway, we'll see what happens!

Advertisement