Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you buy a new IT band?

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Brilliant time Damo and not one that I hugely surprised with.

You have been training really well and you got what you deserved; sounds like a cracking race and one to think about in the future. There were a few form DH over at it. Another good rattle for you in Bohermeen if you race it in the end; Barcelona should be a massive confidence boost for you.

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

OOnegative wrote: »
    Great performance Damo, you may have somewhat surprised yourself but following you here & on Strava the training you are putting in was bound to reward you. Keep it going, plenty more to come off that time.
    Never in doubt Damo. Brilliant time, and what a place to do it. Super report too.
    Brilliant time Damo and not one that I hugely surprised with.

You have been training really well and you got what you deserved; sounds like a cracking race and one to think about in the future. There were a few form DH over at it. Another good rattle for you in Bohermeen if you race it in the end; Barcelona should be a massive confidence boost for you.

C
    Thanks for the kind words lads, bunch of legends on here!

Still up in the air about Bohermeen and/or MSB, I did think about both but that’s probably pushing it a bit...

Yeh I couldn’t recommend it enough as a race, my only one gripe is that there was f all portaloos for the numbers, 23k ish. Starts at 8:45 so even if the weather was really hot (shouldn’t be in Feb) you will miss a bit of the hot temps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭saffron22

Sorry to highjack this but does anyone know if there will be more places for the spring half in bohermeen? I'd love to do it but wasn't aware of it until recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice work, Congrats. I agree with what the German lad was suggesting - if you’re chatting in mile 11 you’re not working hard enough, so as others have said, there’s more to come. How great to discover that in a sub-90 race all the same.

What’s with the gels - doesn’t seem necessary for a HM, unless you’re out there for 2 hours!

Congrats again.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice work, Congrats. I agree with what the German lad was suggesting - if you’re chatting in like 11 you’re not working hard enough, so as others have said, there’s more to come. How great to discover that in a sub-90 race all the same.

What’s with the gels - doesn’t seem necessary for a HM, unless you’re out there for 2 hours!

Congrats again.

Thanks! Yeah looking back maybe I wasnt pushing hard enough, its that fine line in racing I suppose.

I dont really know re: gels, I think its in my head that I need some sort of fuelling although id say one is enough (if needed at all), I had half of the second one and looking back I shouldn't have bothered. I packed two to bring with me thinking I only needed one, but I looked at my Dublin Half report and I had two there, weird now you mention it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    I dont really know re: gels, I think its in my head that I need some sort of fuelling although id say one is enough (if needed at all), I had half of the second one and looking back I shouldn't have bothered. I packed two to bring with me thinking I only needed one, but I looked at my Dublin Half report and I had two there, weird now you mention it.

Have always taken two gels in a half myself, one before race start then another 6/7 miles in. Maybe it’s a head thing as you say, but it hasn’t done any damage to either of us. If it gives you confidence I don’t see any harm in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Definitely no harm in it. Just one more thing to remember though. Personally I hate the whole business of carrying, opening and eating gels and if there’s no compelling reason to do so, I’m delighted to cross them off the goal race prep list!

Tuesday February 18th
    A couple of the guys in work have started running at lunch which is great. I was able to do 3 miles with them and I continued on for another 2 when we got back to the job. Way too fast, stupid run to be doing 2 days after the half.
    5.13 @ 7:30 min/mi.

Wednesday February 19th
    Session, back up to the park after work which I am really happy about. Going to make this more of a regular thing going forward now the evenings are getting longer. 2 mile wu, 4*1 mile @ 6:30 with .5 float @8:00, 1 cd.
    All paces were spot on (6:27-6:30). The floats were harder if anything, but a very very good workout.
    8.55 @ 7:31 min/mi.

Thursday February 20th
    Left hanging by an online lecturer...On with the running gear and out for the usual 7 mile loop IKEA/Ballymun/Finglas. Seriously windy out, decided to try keep HR under 150 (still really high...) for on the way home, Glasnevin avenue is a wind tunnel at the best of times but this was a joke.
    7.11 @ 9:01 min/mi.

Saturday February 22nd
    Felt like I got hit with a ton of bricks on Friday lunchtime, started coming down with something and was worse by Sat morning. Plan was 18 miles with 13 easy and 5 @ 7:30. The HR was at 160 literally from the start, running 9 min miles. I tried to power through but I was going slower and the HR was going higher, averaging 165-170. Headed back to the car and called it a day, 7.34 @ 8:51 min/mi. No point running myself into the ground... :pac:

Will probably take tomorrow off as well and knock tuesdays session on the head and run easy instead, ease back into it until im feeling 100%.
    Pretty dissapointed with Feb's mileage but some different factors and 2 missed long runs, and a race week in there, these things will happen.

Roll on some decent weather, that wind would do your head in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck tomorrow Damo, run well!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow Damo, run well!!

Cheers man, I decided not to race it and I chose MSB 5k next week to get a baseline of where I am after a relatively poor February (apart from Barca). Im in two minds of whether to drive down and run it anyway, or just head to the park as usual. Ill decide later.

• Advertisement

Havent updated since week after Barcelona. I got hit with a dose of something that knocked the bo**ox out of me. Took a couple of days off and ran easy for the week, no sessions. I think it ended up being approx 30 miles or so. A nice message from a scotindublin made me realise I was getting myself wound up for nothing, I had just ran a 5 min PB ffs.

Anyway, not the end of the world, onto the next one. Signed up for the MSB 5k so Evan had some faster sessions pencilled in, something I havent done since approx June or so.

March 2nd
    Lunchtime run, 5 miles on the plan and a lovely day out. 3 with one of the lads and 2 more on me own. 5.13 @ 7:40 min/mi.

Tuesday March 3rd.
    Same as yesterday. 5.06 @ 7:58 min/mi.

Wednesday March 4th.
    2 wu, 1k/200/400/400/200/800 all at different paces. Jesus Christ that was tough but thoroughly enjoyable. Lovely evening in the park with loads of roads closed off for the visit. I think they closed the Furze Rd for me and AMK :pac:

Wu and cd got me to 7 miles and 7:50 mile averaging for the session.

Thursday March 5th
    Running with one of the lads who is starting back running, so nice and slow which was very welcome after the last few days. 6.05 @ 9:55 min/mi.

Saturday March 7th
    2 mile warmup, 5x800 @ 6:00 (3:00), cool down.
    Mainly done this on the furze RD going toward chesterfield, working back against the wind would have been useless. Used chesterfield for the last two reps and felt really good working these paces.
    2:57 - 2:58 - 2:59 - 2:59 - 2:53.

7.00 @ 8:13 min/mi.

Sunday March 8th
    As above I wasn’t even gonna bother heading to Bohermeen, and just head to the PP and trot around. Decided to head down after chatting with coach, he advised to run 7:30-7:45 and progress to 6:50ish from Mile 9 on. Arrived a bit later than I would have liked, used the loo and off we went.

Kept it approx 7:10-7:20 up till mile 6 and then pushed it to approx 7:00 for 7-11, and finished with a 6:45-6:13 mile. 1:32 finish, and definitely not an all out attempt. Not bragging, but to think that was my PB in September and now I can run that after a 800m workout the day before, I’m very very happy with that.

13.11 @ 7:01 min/mi.

43 miles for the week, happy with that.

See what happens on Sunday.

So the week that everything was cancelled, also meant I simply wasnt arsed going out to run, sure what would I be running for?
    Really felt for the MSB crew, was looking forward to that race. Decided to run St Annes instead, nope that didnt happen either.

Got out for f*ck all mileage that week, stupid carry on. 13.8 miles for the week....

Decided middle of last week to cop on and get back out running.

Tuesday 17th March
    7 miles @ 7:41 min/mi in the lashing rain. What a run.

Wednesday 18th March
    First day working from home. 6.12 miles @ 7:55 min/mi.

Thursday 19th March
    Got out for a run in the morning, 3 miles back to the house, quick breakfast and a shower before sitting at the computer for the day. Set me right up for the day! Got out for another 5 after work.

AM: 3.02 @ 8:42 min/mi.
    PM: 5.05 @ 8:25 min/mi.

Saturday 21st March
    Pushed this out to the afternoon as I had nothing else to do for the day anyway...
    Headed to the PP but my god it was like race day, cars parked up on the grass everywhere, absolutely packed. Got out of there sharpish and thought of AMK's Park boundary run, headed off down into Chapelizod, ended up at the 3Arena eyeing up the new test centre.

Session was 5 @ 8:20, 5 @ 8:00, 5 @ 7:30. Last 2-3 miles were tough but I really enjoyed that run, brilliant to get out and just run. Less people in Town than the PP, crazy.

All miles were +/- 3-5 seconds, wore some older Nike Epic React Flyknits for this instead of the NB 1080.

15.01 @ 7:54 min/mi.

36.2 for the week.

Going to slow down this week, closer to 9 min/mi for the easy runs. Needed to blow some steam off last week is all. Continuing on with Evan for the foreseeable even tho there is no racing, use the time wisely and get in good shape for when we can all race again.

Mar 23rd-29th
    Not much to report apart from a tempo run. 2 wu, 5 @ 6:50.
    6:51, 55, 47, 51, 48

Supposed to be a 15m long run on the saturday, but I just about managed ten around the 2k perimeter. Really wasnt feeling it that day..

36.1 miles for the week.

Monday 30th March
    5 miles easy @ 8:43 min/mi. Done this around the park at my house.

Tuesday 31st March
    Had to squeeze this in at lunch. 1 mile wu, 3 x 10min @ 6:40 (3:00), small cd.
    Felt good, closer to 6:30 but wasnt pushing too much so I was happy enough. Park was absolutely packed.
    6.32 @ 7:36 min/mi.

Wednesday 1st April
    6 miles around 2k radius again. 6.0 @ 8:43 min/mi.

Thursday 2nd April
    10 min wu, 6 x 3 min @ 6:10, 10 min cd.
    Again, out late for the session due to college. Started off in the park beside the house but left there and continued around the area, a bit of everywhere really.

Splits: 6:00 , 6:07 , 6:10 , 5:59 , 6:05 , 6:04

7.2 @ 7:56 for the night.

Saturday 4th April
    2 wu, 25 mins @ 6:35, 2 cd.
    Back down to mellowes park for this, approx. 900 meters for a lap so this will be the route for the 5k TT.
    Just under 4 miles for the 25 mins, splits: 6:31 , 6:32 , 6:33 , 6:25 (0.84).
    Felt really in control here, I was tempted to speed up a bit and try break sub 40 for 10k, but stick to the plan...
    8.02 @ 7:35 min/mi.

Sunday 5th April
    Just headed out for 5 easy miles, theres nothing else to do sure!
    5 miles @ 9:01 min/mi.

37.6 for the week. Really happy with the faster stuff, has me looking forward to the session!!

Will just have to fit some more miles in to bump up the weekly total.

Monday 6th April
    Headed out after work for 6 miles around the 2k area, the usual one. 6.07 @ 8:30 min/mi.

Tuesday 7th April
    2 wu, 10 x 1 min on/off, 2 cd. Ran them by feel, not looking at the watch for the most part. I wont list them.

Park full of idiots, but going to stick with it for the 5k TT anyway.

7.01 @ 8:06 min/mi.

Wednesday 8th April
    Lunchtime run around the park at the back of my house, 8 laps,
    6.00 @ 7:53 min/mi (way too fast after a session)

Thursday 9th April
    Another lunchtime run but had to squeeze in a session, college in the evening. 4 x 5 min @ 6:20 (2:00).
    Paces were 6:15-6:10-6:09-6:12. Happy enough.

6.01 @ 7:57 min/mi.

Saturday 11th April
    Severely hungover, drinking until all hours and hugging the toilet bowl at 4am.... Wasnt the brightest move the day before a session. Add that to the heat, recipe for disaster. After a 2 mile wu I decided to head off and try my 25 minute rep, but after 1 mile I knew it wasnt happening... I crawled home, one of my toughest ever runs, no joke. Harder than any marathon ive done, or race, never again.

7.10 @ 8:22 min/mi.

Sunday 12th April
    Headed out as there was nothing else to do, supposed to be a rest day but shh dont tell the boss...
    10 miles around the local area again, pushed a bit further west this time to make up the mileage. 100x better than yesterday, just plodding along. Bumped into SB aswell and had a quick chat (SOCIALLY DISTANCED!!) from afar. Great to see the roads empty.

42.2 miles for the week.

Monday 13th April
    5 miles around the local.
    5 @ 8:54 min/mi.

Tuesday 14th April
    10 x 2 mins @ 6:20 (1:00)
    Got a new pair of Next% and said id try them on for this one, much better fit this time round.
    Paces were all to fast for this one, ran it on the loop which ill be using for the 5k, one straight is nice and calm but the other side the wind is against you the whole way up. Corners are sharp enough, disaster in the next%!

5:49 - 6:20 - 6:09 - 6:14 - 5:59 - 6:05 - 6:00 - 6:05 - 5:54 - 5:19

Really need to learn how to pace myself better for these.

7.28 @ 7:38 min/mi for the day.

Wednesday 15th April
    Lunchtime run, started in the park behind my house but got bored after a lap so off I went. Finished with another lap of the park.
    6.2 @ 8:29 min/mi.

Thursday 16th April
    Another session, again squeezed into lunchtime, got a call from work just before lunch so had to be cut even shorter, sacrificed some wu/cd. 10 x 30s on/off, 3 min rest, 2 x 5 min @ 6:20.
    Didn’t look at watch for the 30 seconds, cant really pace these but they were fast.
    6:10 - 6:13 was the paces for the 5 minutes. 1 wu and 1 cd brought it to 6.22 @ 7:30 for the day.

Saturday 18th April
    Session was 25 mins @ 6:35. Wu/cd as well of course. I had toyed with the idea of trying a sub 40 10k in training the last couple of weeks with Evan, he gave the go ahead 2 weeks or so ago but last weeks effort...well less said about that the better.

I said I would do the 25 mins @ 6:25 pace, and depending on how I felt I could keep going and finish it off. Felt in control, I was putting decent work in but I was good. Pushed on after 4 miles, finishing with a fast 6th mile.

6:23 - 6:27 - 6:25 - 6:19 - 6:23 - 6:12 - 5:45 (0.23)

39:25 on the watch, Strava has me down for 10k in 39:17. Old PB was 40:06 in 2018, havent raced a 10k since! Delighted with myself! (I know this ain’t a REAL PB so don’t bite my head off!)

10.2 miles for the day with wu/cd...a lovely well earned coffee and some turkey bacon went down a treat for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Super stuff kiddo...another step, loads more to take for you. Shame there won't be races for ages but keep the motivation and training going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Don't think anyone could bite your head off in the curcumstances. Well done. Great milestone to hit. Keep it going. Plenty more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Class stuff Damo well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done Damo & especially in TT! Keep going, as others have said lots more to come:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well done Damo great stuff :)

• Advertisement

Cheers all, good to get it off my back. Ill have a good whack at Saturday too. Dreading it tho, 5k's are horrible :pac:

Sunday 19th April
    Was going to have a rest day, I wasnt really in the mood to go out and run, but got nominated for the run 5/nominate 5/donate 5 so I didnt really have a choice!
    3.1 miles @ 8:42 min/mi

38 miles for the week, with some very decent work in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Saw this pop up on twitter over the weekend but didn't put two and two together for a while. Fair play man great running.

Cheers man, appreciate it! I tried to get the cheaterflys out of focus in the background... :pac:

Advertisement