Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you buy a new IT band?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great stuff Damo...good to keep things ticking over during the holidays. We always tend to have active recoveries in the club sessions...I actually find it easier to get going on the reps that way.

Have you started looking into clubs yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I have indeed yeah. At the moment it's between Clonliffe and MSB, I just have to wait until I start work and see how the commute goes midweek, and see what days I can make training etc. Hopefully going to the Clonliffe 5k on Sunday so can talk to a few people up there anyways.

Friday 29th December
    Easy miles today after yesterday's session, in late today so got out this morning. 5.4 @ 8:39/mi. Believe it or not this is my longest run since DCM, and I've been loving it. Took a step back from a proper plan since DCM so nothing has needed me to go over that, apart from the sessions it's just been easy 5ks here and there.

Calf started giving out with about 1.5 to go, will see how it is on Sunday before deciding on the race.

Saturday 31st December
    Clonliffe Harriers 5k, decided to do it last night. Arrived nice and early and registered, got a good decent warm up in with a few strides and stretches etc, something I neglected in the past but it really does help!

Mile 1
    One lap of the track and out the gate, first time running on a track so just got near the top and off I went. Wind wasnt too bad UNTIL we got into Northwood itself, clocked the first mile at 5:45. Loads of people overtook me but I didnt mind.

Mile 2
    Horrible mile, real strong wind right in the face and only one lad in front who didnt block much wind :( :pac: Out of northwood and towards santry lane, where at the left turn I overtook the Clonliffe lad. 6:23 :rolleyes:

Mile 3
    Down Santry lane with a wind behind me, on my own until a woman overtook me who was flying along, kept the form nice and light rather then stomping and it felt great, down to the bottom and take a left and into the stadium then, picked it up a bit and ended up catching Annette from Raheny AC who had smoked me at the last 5k, had a laugh with her after it. 5:58.

18:45.1 @ 5:59/mi and 31st overall, new PB which im delighted with, and on a windy day. Nice little treat to go into the new year with!! :)

Happy new year to ye all, hopefully see ye at races during the year!!

No running this week, focusing on exams that are on tuesday then im lacing up the runners :)

Looking forward to the Raheny 5 mile at the end of the month, and hopefully put a few more faces to names!

Also just signed up to the Bohermeen Half...Going to go for sub 1:30, ambitious I know but with a 1:35 PB with a dodgy knee for the Dublin half, I think with a good bit of training I can achieve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    No running this week, focusing on exams that are on tuesday then im lacing up the runners :)

Looking forward to the Raheny 5 mile at the end of the month, and hopefully put a few more faces to names!

Also just signed up to the Bohermeen Half...Going to go for sub 1:30, ambitious I know but with a 1:35 PB with a dodgy knee for the Dublin half, I think with a good bit of training I can achieve it.

Best of luck in the exams Damo.

• Advertisement

Finally back out getting a couple miles in!!

Wednesday 10th January
    Just a normal loop with a couple of strides thrown in! Same oul boring 3mile route...:rolleyes: 3.4 @ 8:21 min/mi

Thursday 11th January
    Decided to get out for a bit longer today, the fog was mental but it cleared so I got ready and headed out the door....to a thick wall of fog. Plan was 6 miles around 8:30 min/mi. First one in at 8:40 but I was freezing so I sped up for the next one to get a bit of warmth :pac: Bumped into skyblue and had a nice chat about Raheny etc, looking forward to that one!! 6 @ 8:22 min/mi

On the club front, ive been in contact with MSB and hope to meet up with them for the first run on Sunday morning perhaps, hopefully get to put faces to names from around this neck of the woods! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Finally back out getting a couple miles in!!

Wednesday 10th January
    Just a normal loop with a couple of strides thrown in! Same oul boring 3mile route...:rolleyes: 3.4 @ 8:21 min/mi

Thursday 11th January
    Decided to get out for a bit longer today, the fog was mental but it cleared so I got ready and headed out the door....to a thick wall of fog. Plan was 6 miles around 8:30 min/mi. First one in at 8:40 but I was freezing so I sped up for the next one to get a bit of warmth :pac: Bumped into skyblue and had a nice chat about Raheny etc, looking forward to that one!! 6 @ 8:22 min/mi

On the club front, ive been in contact with MSB and hope to meet up with them for the first run on Sunday morning perhaps, hopefully get to put faces to names from around this neck of the woods! :pac:

Good man, glad to hear it :D

I won't be there on Sunday morning myself, as I'm going to the Leinster Masters. You might catch AMK though if he's around. Best of luck!

Good man, glad to hear it :D

I won't be there on Sunday morning myself, as I'm going to the Leinster Masters. You might catch AMK though if he's around. Best of luck!

I might catch the back of him! :pac: Im sure well meet up soon! :cool:

Great news on the club Damo....I am sure those MSB lads will look after you well.

Great news on the club Damo....I am sure those MSB lads will look after you well.

Heres hoping.. :pac:

Will you be heading to Raheny??

• Advertisement

Not decided yet; just getting back into proper training so might just get back into 2 sessions a week for the next couple of months.

You will be on for a decent time out there.....worth it for the goodie bag alone!

Heres hoping.. :pac:

Will you be heading to Raheny??

Not decided yet; just getting back into proper training so might just get back into 2 sessions a week for the next couple of months.

You will be on for a decent time out there.....worth it for the goodie bag alone!

So am I! No chance of any brilliant time out there for me, haven't done much training at all, all kicks off next week and by then it's too late!

I'm just going for this famous goodie bag you all speak of :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Welcome!!

I wont be there Sunday either as I'm doing different training :)
    Its not a huge crowd, but on the best of days there can be upto 15 on the Sunday run. Theres a good crowd that goes out at 8am with another crew out at 8:45. The 8am crew usually drop by and pick up the 8.45 crew.

Try and contact Sarah (she's probably reading this :) ) - it be good for you to have someone there to hold your hand on the 1st day :)

Welcome!!

I wont be there Sunday either as I'm doing different training :)
    Its not a huge crowd, but on the best of days there can be upto 15 on the Sunday run. Theres a good crowd that goes out at 8am with another crew out at 8:45. The 8am crew usually drop by and pick up the 8.45 crew.

Try and contact Sarah (she's probably reading this :) ) - it be good for you to have someone there to hold your hand on the 1st day :)

Now I'm not sure if I can make it Sunday myself now! So might have to push it off till next week, perhaps the session on Wednesday or so. Really looking forward to getting in the swing of things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Now I'm not sure if I can make it Sunday myself now! So might have to push it off till next week, perhaps the session on Wednesday or so. Really looking forward to getting in the swing of things :)

Too early Damo? ;):pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Good luck with the club Damo , going to join Portmarnock myself , hopefully catch up with you at Raheny I'd say you'll be ahead of me looking at your recent 5k race.

Good luck with the club Damo , going to join Portmarnock myself , hopefully catch up with you at Raheny I'd say you'll be ahead of me looking at your recent 5k race.

No chance! Way off holding that for 5 mile. Will definitely catch up at Raheny!

Saturday 13th January
    Just a little 3.5 mile run as I was informed the rain would be starting soon.... It never did!!

Sunday 14th January
    I was supposed to meet up with MSB for the first club run, but something came up so I couldn't. I knew I had to get a long run in, so I shot out when I got a chance. Over to the phoenix Park from the Ashtown gate, down behind the zoo and up Chesterfield then, loads of people out running and just busy in general. It seems like the whole of Strava was out but I was too late to see anyone. 11.2 for the day and my first long run since Dublin.

I'm glad I done it that way. I didn't force any long runs over the extended break I had, and it let the knee get much better (so far). I enjoyed the small runs and races, and excited to start prepping for Bohermeen now, and Raheny too :)

A measly 24.3 miles for the week :pac:

Been a while since I gave this a look, hasnt been a lot going on on the running front....

Didnt run at all for a week (15th Jan) just generally tired, eating crap and not feeling great all over, I just didnt have the focus for it.

Tuesday 23rd
    I got out for a 3 miler on Tuesday, planned a session for Wednesday but that fell short, blaming that one on work, mad week. Threw in a few strides, 3 @ 8:02 min/mi.

Friday 26th
    I done my first run-mute of the year, got a new backpack that was recommended on here so said id give that a shot, great little pack, it fit everything and didnt budge! 6.3 @ 8:02 min/mi.

Sunday 28th
    Going into this I wasnt expecting a huge race, time wise for myself. Little to no training done (laziness) and the legs hadnt seen a speed session in weeks. Me, skyblue and Lazare met up pre race, had a chat and off to do our warm-up! Got into the start area, tried bumping our way up but we were still a bit far back so I hopped the fence a bit further up. The MSB lads were just ahead of me, not for long... :pac:

I said id go out at 6:30/mi and try get a 32:30/33:00 but the first mile was too quick @ 6:03.

Met clickerquicklic round Mile 2, chatted very briefly as the two of us were gasping and stuck together with a bit of back and forth ;) Mile 2 @ 6:26/mi.

Mile 3 was more along the road until we got into the park, made up a bit more time here with a little less wind, clocked in @ 6:14/mi.

Mile 4 was into the park, great running through here people out supporting club members and stuff, good vibes. Hate that out and back, gave AMK a shout when he was wizzing past and turned at the cone were I finally got ahead of clicker :pac: Clocked @ 6.21/mi

Last mile out of the park and a little loop of the green at the finish, gave it welly on the last straight and was delighted to see @ 6.04/mi, delighted. Checked the time after a minute or so and seen 31:10 :eek:

4.9 @ 6:16 min/mi . 31.10 chip time

Met up again with clicker and we waited about for skyblue and Lazare, well deserved pint afterwards with a few of the gang!!

Really enjoyed the race, would definitely do it again!! Onto training for Bohermeen now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well done Damo fantastic running

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Wow, Damo, you're on fire. Imagine if you trained for it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Unreal to do that with no proper training. You have such a talent. Well done. It’s brilliant.

Class time Damo....well done.

Well done Damo, great performance. Bit more training and the PBs will continue to plummet.

Thanks everyone, hopefully the temperatures rise along with the weekly mileage! :pac:

Been a while since ive reported on here, not much to report tbh!

The week before last was just 2 runs home from work, one of them a tempo, Nothing worth going on about.

This week was only 3 runs, but I felt they were decent enough. I would have loving to get out with the club this morning, but after FINALLY getting my degree I had a few well deserved bottles last night :) A new job and a degree and im not even halfway through February, year off to a good start!! :cool:

Tuesday Feb 6th
    Usual 6.3 run commute, loving this lately. Was a cracking bright and dry evening out, on with a podcast and it flew in. 6.3 @ 8:09/mi

Wednesday Feb 7th
    After weeks of busy wednesdays in work etc I finally got to the first club session with MSB, and everyone couldnt have been more welcoming, loved this session! Couple laps and strides and into the intervals then.

800-rec-400-rec x3

800s: 3:06, 2:53, 2:48
    400s: 1:16, 1:20, 1:19

These felt nice and controlled, I probably could have cut the recovery a bit shorter and done them active, but its all a learning curve! A nice cool down and a chat took it to 4.75 miles for the evening.

Friday Feb 9th
    Had the running gear in work and was feeling lazy so wasnt going to bother, got the exam results just before I left so after the bit of good news said id run. 1.7 easy, this brings me up to the top of the damastown mountain :pac: and its flat from there, so works out great. 3miles @ tempo then, splits were:
    6:55
    6:52
    6:46
    Tempo pace is 6:48-6:59 so right in the zone! Loving these tempo runs, and especially the fact I can fit them in on the way home. A nice 1.5/1.6 easy to get me home.

The calf has been acting up the last while, going to head to the physio next week and hopefully get it sorted before bohermeen. Ive been afraid to try long runs on it, as it can get very sore some days even if not running. So hopefully its not serious.. After the tempo it was fairly bad on Saturday, so didnt risk it today either.

4 weeks to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Have you been told what the problem with the calf is? Is it the same part of the muscle again?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Have you been told what the problem with the calf is? Is it the same part of the muscle again?

No pal, I havent had the time to get to the physio! Im back from Barcelona on Monday 19th, afternoon flight so going to try book in for that evening and get sorted, hopefully its something simple. Not enough to stop me running, but enough to stop me running decent mileage like.

Congrats on the degree! Nice work on the sessions too.

• Advertisement

Ive neglected this for a long time, as above I had a problem with my calf that turned out to be a small tear. I was advised to keep running but SLOW, and do the given stretches foam rolling etc. I didnt run, at all, and didnt do any of my stretches.

Bohermeen half was around the corner and I hadnt got an ounce of training done. I switched to the 10k and ran a 41:? in what was a horrible race. I got stuck in no mans land and felt absolutely crap, stopped to walk and everything. Didnt run for a bit after that as the calf was still fairly bad, probably shouldnt have raced at all but shh dont tell my physio.

Ran a parkrun, Tolka Valley which is local (give it a bit of support by the way! great crew) and ended up being first home, 20:10 which was a huge wake up call as to what state my fitness is in, its still a good time but considering I ran 18:45 in Dec/Jan its a long way off where I want to be.

The last 2 weeks ive been easing into it, slow and steady and starting from 20 miles pw, up to 25 last week and ill slowly increase over the next couple weeks before targeting a few races. Ill get an assessment off the physio soon hopefully and see when I can start the fast stuff again.

Im loving training at the minute, finally feel good and the weather is picking up too which always helps.

Oh ive signed up for DCM 2018 aswell, so thats another thing :)

Advertisement