Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you buy a new IT band?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Evan Scully

There was no doubting him!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

There was no doubting him!!!

You've done well since the waterproof coating you applied to him has removed his tendency to dissolve in the rain :pac:

skyblue46 wrote: »
    You've done well since the waterproof coating you applied to him has removed his tendency to dissolve in the rain :pac:

:pac::pac::pac:
    It took years to master that technique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I knew last week was going to be all over the place because of college, but then car troubles arose and threw everything sideways.

Monday 23rd Sept
    4 miles easy. 4 mile loop in the park. 4.05 @ 8:50 min/mi.

Tuesday 24th Sept
    First time doing a morning run in god knows how long, it also reminded me why I dont! Worst run in a long time, the whole run felt tough, legs like lead. 6.13 @ 8:52 min/mi.

Wednesday 25th Sept
    Supposed to be a session but again the plan is all over the place. After college run, 6.30 @ 8:44 min/mi.

Friday 27th Sept
    Run-mute from work again. The session was 2 mile wu, 4 x 2 mile @ 7:30, small cd.
    1. 7:29, 7:30
    2. 7:27, 7:32
    3. 7:32, 7:32
    4. 7:28, 7:24

11.03 miles @ 7:57 min/mi.

Sunday 30th Sept
    22 miles on the plan. Feeling a bit sceptical about it due to the injury but wasnt too bad. I had a 7 mile loop that I was going to do 3 times (and a bit), with gels and water to pick back up. First lap flew in, gel at 4.5 miles, back to the house to get more gels and water with zero tab. Ditched the lap idea after the first, and took off to Northwood, Santry, Whitehall, Drumcondra, Phibsborough, Ashtown, back to Finglas.

The last 2 miles felt like Mt. Everest, but as Evan mentioned after its good to do this on tired legs.

It was one of my better long runs in the last few months, felt good throughout and the Glute/Knee didnt bother me really.

22.05 @ 8:50 min/mi.

49.5 miles for the week.

Monday 30th Sept
    7 easy miles in the absolutely horrible weather, it was actually somewhat enjoyable to be honest. Headed out after work and done the usual 7 mile loop in Finglas/Ballymun. 7.06 @ 9:05 min/mi

Tuesday 1st Oct
    Switched Tuesday/Thursday session around, with college etc its a bit easier to do as its not as long, heading out at 10:00/10:30 is hard enough without having a big session to have scheduled. Plan was 2 miles easy, and Mile 3 was to be 8:30 and then -10 seconds for every mile after that
    Mile 3: 8:29
    Mile 4: 8:20
    Mile 5: 8:09
    Mile 6: 7:56
    Mile 7: 7:50
    Mile 8: 7:38

Tough enough run, the pace towards the end felt a lot faster then what was showing on the watch, battery was dying so not sure if this was throwing it off, or maybe just one of them runs. 8.02 @ 8:13 min/mi.

Wednesday 2nd Oct
    Another late run after college. 6.12 @ 9:07 min/mi

Friday 4th Oct
    Finally got the car back!!
    Tuesdays session tonight, was able to run on Friday as my LR wasnt until Sunday.
    The plan was 2 wu, 2@7:30-35 then 1@8:05-8:10, repeated three times (no 8:10 on last rep) with a small CD.
    Straight to the park after work to get this in.
    First Rep: 7:30-7:31-8:08
    Second Rep: 7:31-7:34-8:07
    Third Rep: 7:32-7:30
    CD: 0.60 @ 8:55.

10.6 @ 7:57 min/mi.

Felt good throughout, bit of a mix match route around the park. Nice work of a Friday.

Sunday 6th Oct
    24 mile LR on the plan, longest ever training run I have done. I entered the Longwood 3/4 marathon a while back so this fell on the same weekend, pushed my LR from Sat to Sunday to mix it in.
    Plan was to do 4 miles before hand and then the run, but I managed 3 miles before the race, there was a decent break between the end of 3 miles and the start of the race but I'm sure that's no harm.

I originally set off with the 3:30 pacers (+5%) so what I thought was going to be 8:34 miles, was about 10-15 seconds faster. I backed off around 8/9 miles into the race and continued around 8:40s or thereabouts. Pace was fine, but towards the end my hip flexor/groin area really tightened up. I had 1 mile to do after the race to make the 24 so grabbed some water after and kept going. Happy for that to be over, and even more happy to be into the taper!!

24.06 miles @ 8:30 min/mi.

55.8 miles for the week.

Monday 7th Oct
    Tired legs all day after Sundays long run. Plan was 4 miles but I set out to do only 3 they were that heavy, 3.6 miles @ 9:20 min/mi.
    I have found a short run the day after a heavy session or long run does help the following day, not this time...

Tuesday 8th Oct
    Up at 4:30 to collect relatives from the Airport, into work until 5 and college 6-10, the plan was 8 miles but I knocked it on the head. I was absolutely shattered, heavy legs etc. I thought theres no point in digging myself a bigger hole this late in the plan, and so close to the big day. Thought about what ariana said previously in the thread about burning the candle at both ends.

Wednesday 9th Oct
    Out after college for 6 miles, was contemplating doing the 8 miles that I had for yesterday but I have been told to not worry about missed miles. Session was supposed to be today but with no college on Thurs, I swapped it around. 6.1 @ 9:17 min/mi.

Thursday 10th Oct

Tough session ahead, 2 mile wu, 3 mile @ 7:30, 2 min rest, 3x2 mile @ 7:20 (90seconds), 1 @ 6:55-7:00, small cd.
    Torrential rain as soon as I got out of the car, for the first 1hr/1:20, soaked to the skin but if it happens on race day theres nothing you can do about it! Clothes soaked through in 5 minutes for the long session ahead.

3 miles: 7:33-7:14-7:29
    1st 2 miles: 7:15-7:15
    2nd 2 miles: 7:20-7:21
    3rd 2 miles: 7:25-7:24
    1 mile: 7:04

Found the last two reps (2 mile + 1 mile) very tough, into the wind for most of them, ah well.

13.01 miles @ 7:53 pace for the overall session. Glad to get it done at a reasonable time, getting that done at 10 at night would have been a struggle!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

You are doing great Damo and well done for listening and taking a rest when needed nothing to be gained now its all just fine-tuning :D

I am looking forward to tapering not for another week for me :cool:

Saturday 12th October
    15 miles on the plan. 10 easy, 3 @ 7:30, 2 @ 8:00.
    Started off by the usual route up to IKEA, into Northwood and said I would throw in Santry Park too as its nice to run in. Off up toward Whitehall, back down by DCU and into Albert College park about 9 miles in. Did stop and stretch here a bit as the right glute still giving a bit of trouble. Done my first mile @ 7:30 in here then started back toward Finglas village. Into Mellowes Park then after that, around there and headed for home.

The first 7:30 was tough, but after that it wasnt bad although I do find Glasnevin Avenue a bit of a drag.
    3 miles were 7:32-7:29-7:29.

Not a bad week even tho I missed an 8 mile run, but it is what it is.

Not long left now.

Monday 14th October
    3.6 miles around the area. Nothing special. 8:48 min/mi.

Tuesday 15th October
    Another longggg day in work and college. A good nights sleep instead of 8 miles.

Wednesday 16th October
    7 miles around the usual loop after college. 7 miles @ 8:51 min/mi.

Friday 18th October.

Pushed Thursdays session out a day as I didnt fancy a session at half ten at night.
    Session was: 2 wu, 2x1mile @ 7:10 (2 min rest), 5 mile@7:30, 5 minute jog recovery, 2x1 @ 7:10 (2 min rest)

Up to the park, done the first 2 miles around the furze/OS loop, and started the 5 mile back on the Furze road and went off on the IR 5 mile route. Lashing rain but it is what it is. Felt good throughout the 5 with the 7:10's a bit harder at the start. Finished strong on the last 7:10.
    1st rep: 7:05-7:10
    2nd rep: 7:20-7:27-7:29-7:35-7:28
    3rd rep: 7:10-7:06

Right glute left knee a bit sore afterward, same problem back.

12.12 miles @ 8:01.

Sunday 20th October

Last weekend run of the plan. 10 miles easy and 2 miles @ 7:30
    Cracking morning but the headwind slaughtered me on the way up Glasnevin avenue, and all the way home. Popped in for a lap of Albert college park too.
    Last 2 miles were very tough, 7:29 and 7:27 coming in at.

Same soreness again afterward.

35 miles for the week.

Up to the coach for a session in the afternoon, some solid work done and feeling a bit better today. Just need to keep up the stretching and rolling during the week.

Feeling confident, albeit a little worried about the knee/glute. Really looking forward to a great day out on Sunday, and hopefully with a good time too. Not hyping myself up or overthinking it as I have learned my lesson before. The training is done and what happens on the day, happens. No trying new stuff, same flipbelt the last 2 years, same fuelling, same style of socks, not the same underwear!! but very close :pac:, you get the drift.

Already looking forward to a good stab at my 5k PB at Jingle Bells, my first one! 2 year old PB hopefully a couple of seconds can be shaved off.

• Advertisement

rest it if you need to Damo, I am sure your coach will look after you anyway and probaby gave it a good going over at the weekend
    but the hard work is done now you are ready :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hope it goes well Damo, your training has been excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Very best of luck Damo, super training this cycle. Run well man!!

All the best Damo. You're in great shape for this one. 3rd time lucky.

Thanks very much lads. Nerves through the roof along with a dodgy glute (autocorrect nearly had me there!)

But it's not gonna stop me, gonna run like f**k.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Thanks very much lads. Nerves through the roof along with a dodgy glute (autocorrect nearly had me there!)

But it's not gonna stop me, gonna run like f**k.

Jaysus it wouldn't be DCM if you weren't injured!

• Advertisement

Jaysus it wouldn't be DCM if you weren't injured!

EXACTLY what I said earlier on :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Run well lad. All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Give it socks Damo!! Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Have a great race tomorrow D, you have a brilliant block of training done and will reap the reward tomorrow.

3:25:38 , over the moon.

Can't believe how that went, 1:44:35 first half and a 1:40:55 second half. Finished so strong, maybe too conservative in the first half but if I had of being more aggressive it could have been a completely different outcome.

Full race report to come at some stage, but for now I just ran my socks off and was extremely happy with the outcome.

• Advertisement

Brilliant race Damo. You looked ridiculously easy each time Conor and myself saw you. You ran it to perfection. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Class run Damo very well done and just what you deserved after the training block.

Cheers lads, really appreciate it.

Sean what do you think, was I too comfortable? I've been thinking about what if, but I'm so cautious when it comes to races after FD10 ya know. I really felt in control for the whole race.

I didn't start with the pacers and let them do their own thing, reeled them in about mile 19 or so and left them for dust at 21, never felt so good.

It's trying to find the very fine line between being controlled for the race, or sandbagging haha.

Sean what do you think, was I too comfortable? I've been thinking about what if, but I'm so cautious when it comes to races after FD10 ya know. I really felt in control for the whole race.

I didn't start with the pacers and let them do their own thing, reeled them in about mile 19 or so and left them for dust at 21, never felt so good.

It's trying to find the very fine line between being controlled for the race, or sandbagging haha.

Ah it's hard to know Damo. It's a once a year thing so you didn't want it to go pear shaped. Next year you'll have a better base, more races and will have been training longer. It'll be much easier for you to pick a target time.

As for whether you looked too comfortable....it's very hard to tell with you. You have a very easy running style and never look under pressure even when racing a hard 5k. I on the other hand look like I'm about to die even when doing a recovery jog! Haha.

Bottom line is that you should enjoy and be proud of your race and not dwell on the 'might have beens'. You did great.

Absolutely, it's exactly what I said to Evan about now dwelling on it. I'm extremely happy with the time, don't get me wrong.

The marathon is a distance that you really do need experience at to try target an agressive time, and it's experience I didn't have. But I do now, that's the main thing.

Well done Damo you did great lots more to come now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Fantastic Damo - such a good feeling to run a race like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

the Marathon is a much different beast - you should look uncomfortable in a 5k/10k etc but a Marathon is one where the pace is virtually all aerobic - after a Marathon, you never bend over the railings getting your breath or have a HR over 180 - so there is a 'comfortableness' about the pace.

I think you ran it perfectly, given your massive PB!
    As you get faster and really start challenging the Sub 3 territory, it may appear more uncomfortable, but in saying that, the most comfortable Marathon I ever ran was a 2.58 in San Sebastian - a stroll in the sun it was....... a bit like your race on Sunday.

Enjoy the recovery.

Baby75 wrote: »
    Well done Damo you did great lots more to come now :)
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Fantastic Damo - such a good feeling to run a race like that.
    the Marathon is a much different beast - you should look uncomfortable in a 5k/10k etc but a Marathon is one where the pace is virtually all aerobic - after a Marathon, you never bend over the railings getting your breath or have a HR over 180 - so there is a 'comfortableness' about the pace.

I think you ran it perfectly, given your massive PB!
    As you get faster and really start challenging the Sub 3 territory, it may appear more uncomfortable, but in saying that, the most comfortable Marathon I ever ran was a 2.58 in San Sebastian - a stroll in the sun it was....... a bit like your race on Sunday.

Enjoy the recovery.

Thanks a lot guys and gals, I really appreciate it.

@ AMK It really is a different beast altogether, and while with 5k's you can try new stuff all the time as they are so frequent and dont require as big of a training block, the marathon is something that really does take a lot of fine tuning to get right. That fine tuning becomes a lot harder as the person progresses in training from the last block, whether thats coming from 2:40-2:35 or from 5:30-5:15.

Well I hope my sub 3 attempt is like yours :pac::pac:

Dublin City Marathon 2019
    So having made my debut appereance :pac: in 2017 with a 3:57 finish, and then 3:51 in 2018 with an absolutely shocking training block, I really wanted to take a stab at this year. I chatted with Evan about maybe some sort of coaching at a physio session very early in the year, after a bit of talk of what I wanted in May, I started my first run on the plan on the 1st of June, with not the ideal base mileage going into it. I was buzzing, I loved running again, stuck to the plan to a tee (bar holidays) for the most part and reaped the rewards.

I had a shocker of a race at FD10 (I'll never let that go..) and I had a cracker of a race at the Dublin HM, knocking 2 mins off my PB. My injurys were still knocking around, particularly my right glute and my IT Band again which goes back to 2017, but for the most part they were manageable and Evan kept me in one piece. I had done a lot of miles in training on Tuesday/Thursdays @ 7:30 that you will know from Strava, but I was very cautious with my target because of the injuries. These would definitely help later on...

I cut out alcohol from the start of September, cut out fizzy drinks from mid August (I had one after my really long runs as treat shhh..), had meal prep done every Sunday evening for work, and got a lot more greens in through smoothies. I dropped a decent bit of weight and actually looked in shape, and felt every bit of it.

Fuelling plan was a gel at 4.5-9-13.5-18-21.5 (I think??), sip water at every station and half a zero tab at 7 miles and 20 miles. Stuck to it to the tee, no jellies off people or anything.

Pre Race
    Not the greatest week leading up, eating was spot on but College and work had me exhausted, I ran the Monday and the Saturday and that was it. My glute was acting up fairly bad, hurting just sitting down in work which wasnt ideal. Got some solid sleep in and got the expo out of the way on Friday, picking up a few goodies along the way. The morning of was fine, 2 bagels with turkey bacon and some OJ, and a banana before the race.

Mile 1-7
    A long que for the toilet and a bit of worry, a Pace band set for 3:29:59 and feeling extremely nervous, I set off behind 3:30 pacers and we were off. I have been snooping all year on the novices thread and it really hit home the importance of a conservative first 7 miles. Seen Sean Neil and Conor in the park, missed herself up ahead unfortunately although she was right beside me and I never even copped it, in the zone. One of the lads from work at Myo's too. Hit 10k in 50:21.
    8:07-7:56-8:13-8:01-8:06-8:01-8:11

Mile 8-14
    I knew after mile 7 it was time to switch on, was chatting to 2 lads before I realised where we were, off I went. Next couple of miles were fairly standard, Chapelizod and Kilmainham are always good spots! Of course the hill here is a f*cker, took it easy on that, seeing people burst up this makes me laugh at times. Some absolute gobsh1te cycles past a load of us on a pushbike at the back of St. James Hospital, I lost the head at her as shes weaving in and out of people, Garda thankfully pulled her off. Another shout here from Skyblue and Lazare at 20k, still feeling good. Hit 20k in 1:39:34 and 21.1k in 1:44:43. I hate this part of the course with a passion
    7:37-7:43-7:41-8:06-7:50-7:51-8:07

Mile 15-20
    Was supposed to see another one of the lads from work after walkinstown roundabout but no sign. Still working away and the glute was still at me, but not getting worse. Decent support but still not a nice part of the course IMO, just get the miles done here in the last 2 years and the same today. Templeogue and Terenure is always good support with the cheering zone. Caught up with the pacers just after the running shop before 19 miles, Milltown next and what a buzz there, narrow crowds roaring at ya. Up and over the hill at 20.
    7:54-7:50-7:47-7:39-7:40-7:45

Mile 21-24
    Into Clonskeagh and not so fond memories of last year, thankfully the stomach was ok. Still feeling good and working away here, pulling away from the pacers at a very decent pace, although one 3:30 pacer was slightly faster than the others but he was dropped after about 1/2 mile. Up and over heartbreak not a bother. Absolutely belted down Fosters Avenue and picking hundreds of people off. Onto the bypass and down toward nutley lane still flying. Chills turning onto Merrion Rd.
    7:37-7:56-7:32-7:30.

The finishing straight
    I really picked the pace up here, I knew the watch was off by 0.2 but I accounted for that, and off I went. Another shout from Lazare and Skyblue, two legends scared the crap out of me. Herself was on the bridge as we cross over, spotted her this time and I took off again. Feeling it here, but knew I could keep it up. I had no idea of time as I wasnt calculating it in my head for once, just running, but to see that time was something else, I couldnt believe it.
    7:27-6:58 and the finishing 0.38 was at 6:15 pace.

3:25:38 was my official chip time.

Absolutely over the moon with it, the long sessions in the rain was a new thing for me, but I began to love them shockingly enough. The tempo runs at 10:30 at night, long runs on my own, all worth it after that. Off for a nice feed and an ice cold pint, and a few more at home to top it off.

I am going to stick with Evan going forward (if he will have me :pac:) as he is an absolute pleasure to work with, will listen to what I find hard/easy, knows my body exactly when training is intense and as a result can squeeze me in for a session at very short notice, and the sessions he prescribes are an absolute joy to do, even if I think hes trying to kill me sometimes!

My next target is Jingle Bells to try get as close to my 2017 PB as possible, which is 18:45 (Clonliffe 5k). Some rest in Spain from Thursday-Tuesday, a massage when I'm back hopefully, and back training next week all going well.

Barcelona Marathon is potentially a go ahead for 2020, depending on how intense college is in January, but that time will continue to drop all going well.

Thanks for reading!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

A brilliant execution of the marathon on Sunday Damo; finishing so strongly should give you bags of confidence going forward. Plenty of natural talent to be tapped into; 2020 is going to be a big year for you. Looking forward to seeing how you progress.

Well done Damo, super performance man. Plenty more to take off that time down the line. Recover well.

Well buddy, the genie is definitely out of the bottle now. There's no going back from here!! That's a great report and it's great to see how much you enjoyed it. I wouldn't be worrying about the PBs you have now...they'll be toast by the end of next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats D. Super in control racing and we'll deserved PB! Enjoy the break and some R&R.

Congrats D. Super in control racing and we'll deserved PB! Enjoy the break and some R&R.

What's with your comments on all the others logs...isn't it about time you updated the Sandbagger Log before blowing smoke up everyone else? Haha

A brilliant execution of the marathon on Sunday Damo; finishing so strongly should give you bags of confidence going forward. Plenty of natural talent to be tapped into; 2020 is going to be a big year for you. Looking forward to seeing how you progress.
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Well done Damo, super performance man. Plenty more to take off that time down the line. Recover well.
    Well buddy, the genie is definitely out of the bottle now. There's no going back from here!! That's a great report and it's great to see how much you enjoyed it. I wouldn't be worrying about the PBs you have now...they'll be toast by the end of next year.
    Thanks a lot lads for the kind words!
    As I said above I am really enjoying running again, last year I didnt have any want to do anything, a lot different this year.

I have even gotten over my phobia of running in the rain :pac:

Its great having a log to keep you in check too, I have read back over the last couple of weeks and seen how I have felt stronger in the sessions etc. The longer endurance sessions really were the sweet spot I think, no doubt about it they contributed massively to the later stages of the race on race day.

What's with your comments on all the others logs...isn't it about time you updated the Sandbagger Log before blowing smoke up everyone else? Haha

Haha, exactly what I was thinking!! Where that bloody report :pac:

Haha, exactly what I was thinking!! Where that bloody report :pac:

See he was running near Westport this morning to, filling up on those sandbags again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Great stuff Damo. Well done on the pb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Well done Damo! You worked real hard for this, brilliant running!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Super marathon and report Damo. Just shows you what a more focused training plan and better diet can do. I suspect this is only the beginning!

What an unbelievable run. I kinda can believe it TBH. I knew you would PB, but its by how much.
    I feel like I should be giving Damo a testimonial tho!! The only thing I ask for in an athlete is that they give it the best they can. I think Damo optimises this, and of course i'll have ya back!! hahaha.
    Now, let get another 25minutes off that PB and get you a 2.** marathon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Great run Damo! Amazing second half, especially the last 2+ miles as that was a really tough stretch on Sunday.

Thanks a lot everyone. Still in high spirits over it and planning for future races. Since this has been a really good training block I look back at some of the sessions to see what worked well and what I felt really added to endurance.

The longer sessions that I done such as the longer reps @ 7:30 were the key I think, 4*2 mile @ 7:30, 2*4 mile @ 7:30, 2*5 mile etc etc. The feeling after nailing one of them was something else, and of course the pizza as a reward :pac:

The FD10 was a real wake up call, not that I done anything wrong but I never really had a bad race like that as stupid as it sounds. Its definitely opened my eyes that not everything always goes right for ya.

As runners (not allowed call us serious until 2:59 apparently) we aren't invincible, everyone has bad races, but until u have one yourself you realise how sh1t it feels, but it definitely helps you grow stronger mentally for those tough times in races.

As I am approaching 1000 miles in a year for the first time ever...I looked back on Strava to see when I 'started' marathon training.

I logged 165 miles from January 1st to 31st May (give or take), appalling. I have 963 miles done to date, after turning it around from June 1st I am delighted with that to be honest, enjoyed (almost..) every minute of it, even the wet runs..

Have done two runs since DCM here in Spain, the first one was definitely very heavy legs, but today was a lot better! Booked in for a physio visit tomorrow to see where I'm at, and see if how the glute is after DCM.

Looking like easy running for the month of Nov which I'm happy about, I might throw in one or two cardio classes in the Gym for a change of scenery. Its going to be manic enough with college work coming thick and fast, I will just have to do a few miles on a Sunday which is normally my day off.

• Advertisement

So the last sentence in my previous post turned out to be true....

Absolutely crazy with college work in the last two weeks, and with a couple of really good opportunities in work I have been really busy and tired over the last while.

A couple of runs here and there, not as much as I would like but it is what it is. Two of my mates have started to pick up running, so I have been out and about with them really easy running and loving it. Some difference to running on your own.

I have noticed that my HR has shot up, running 9:40’s and I’m hitting 160 BPM... Is that a sign of a lot of lost fitness??

Sitting at 996 miles, 4 miles tomorrow to hit 1000 for the year, really happy about that. I took a break with Evan for November as I knew that I both needed the rest and that college would be hectic, looking forward to getting back into the good stuff in December.

Best of luck Saturday Damo, run well!!

Ran Jingle Bells for the first time the other day, and of course its the first year the course changes! I have done a lot of 5k's in the park with that hill, I have adjusted to like it now tbh! Was looking forward to the race and was hoping perhaps around 19:30 for it, I know I havent done a lot since DCM but such is life.

2 mile warmup with a few strides and was feeling good, although running with a few layers on I was pouring sweat on this. Met up with a few boardsies at bag drop and at the start.

I knew I was in a bad spot for the start, right in the middle of the road and a bit too far back. Bit of bobbing and weaving at the start but settled in as coming up to chesterfield avenue. Few familiar faces from races here, working up towards the furze, Mile 1 @ 6:19.

Hurting at the end of the Furze, off to the Furry Glen now and waiting for the hill. 6:25.

Got the arms moving and worked up the hill. Although its all downhill there, it takes a while to get the legs going to make use of it because of the climb, motored on down when I caught a breath, bit of a race with some random guy here and we had the craic afterwards. 6:09 for mile 3.

19:25 official chip time, very very happy with that for what has been a miserable 6 weeks running, but as I said sometimes this is what happens. I finish up in College on Sunday, which is why I havent been running, and back into working with Evan on Tuesday all going well. Really looking forward to it.

Back on plan last week. Days were changed around a bit but nothing mad.

Tuesday 17th December
    5 miles easy around Finglas. 5.03 @ 8:57 min/mi.

Wednesday 18th December
    Absolutely miserable day out, what a day for the first session back.
    2 mile wu, 4 x 1200 @ 7:10 (3:00 off), 2 mile cd
    Usual route to Ikea, then down Santry lane, past Morton Stadium and back into Northwood.
    A bit fast for this one, just wanting to get home.
    Paces were 7:02 - 7:07 - 7:01 - 7:04
    8.17 @ 8:23 min/mi.

Thursday 19th December
    Got a lift into work so I could run home, kicking myself at about 3 o clock when the downpour started.
    Soaked through about a mile in, horrible wet windy and cold run. 6.38 @ 8:33 min/mi.

Friday 20th December
    This was supposed to be 2 wu, 5 @ 7:35, 2 cd
    Time was a bit short so I cut it to 1 wu, 4 @ 7:35. 1 cd

Fairly tough run to be honest. Splits 7:41 - 7:37 - 7:33 - 7:31
    6.32 @ 7:54 min/mi

Sunday 22nd December
    8 miles easy, same loop as the session on Wednesday.
    8.13 @ 8:56 min/mi

34 miles for the week.

Another decent-ish week in, although a bit all over the place with it being Christmas etc.

Monday 23rd Dec
    On the plan was 2 mile wu, 4 x 800 @ 6:55 (2:00), 2 mile cd.
    Paces were manageable and I kept it with a jog recovery, but as I was starting the last rep on the bottom of Furze Rd I decided to head towards the papal cross, didn’t realise it would be so muddy and when trying to avoid a mud puddle I slipped in the grass and my right glute immediately flared up, felt it straight away.
    Paces for the 800’s:
    6:53 - 6:53 - 6:53 - 6:50.

7 miles @ 8:46 min/mi.

Tuesday 24th Dec
    4 miles OR rest was on the plan, took the day off as the glute was still flared up.

Thursday 26th Dec
    4 miles easy. I got a HRM off Santy, expecting the readings to be way off what my watch would be and it would be much lower, but nope, very similar to my watch readings which are high at very easy paces. I don’t know the science behind it, but I was getting myself wound up in thinking my HR should be a lot lower at these paces I am running. Maybe I didn’t keep as much fitness as I thought, or maybe I’ve a naturally high HR, is that a thing??

4.03 @ 9:16 min/mi.

Friday 27th Dec
    2 miles easy, 5 miles @ 7:35, 1 cd.
    Was not looking forward to this as I struggled very bad last week with this tempo run. It went much better, I was working for the last 1.5 miles but very enjoyable run.
    5 miles were: 7:39 - 7:33 - 7:35 - 7:32 - 7:30.

8.11 miles @ 8:07 min/mi

Sunday 29th Dec
    10 miles around Finglas/Ballymun/Glasnevin.
    10.05 @ 8:26 min/mi. Very uneventful.

Just shy of 30 miles for the week.

Got myself some nice running bits over Christmas, and today a new pair of New Balance 1080 as I found the Nike Zoom Fly very stiff on easy runs. Really like them so far.

January is looks seriously juicy with some of the sessions on the plan, really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement