Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Broadband - been 'blacklisted!'

Options
  • 07-11-2017 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I'll get to the point. My eir broadband stopped working about 2 months ago and I only got around to getting onto them today. They said I've been cut off due to not paying my bill. I checked my bank statement true enough I haven't paid since July (it's €20p/m and I've a few around that mark so I didn't notice). 
    I signed a D/D form etc in the shop when I signed up but they are telling me that I had to advise them when my new card came as the expiry would have been different, they said it wasn't a D/D they were taking a card payment every month. I remember asking AIB at the time would all my bills keep going out as normal, they said yes. I'm at a loss as to where I can go now. Without even contacting me they blacklisted me and are saying I will never get a bill pay phone/broadband again with Eir or any other network (bar Virgin) as they share info on blacklisted customers. Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your device is blacklisted and you identity has a marker with Eir so you'll fail all future credit checks.

It isn't spread to other providers, you can still use anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

As ED E has said, this information is not given to other Broadband providers. Can you not just clear the bill when your new card arrives and resume service?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

As ED E has said, this information is not given to other Broadband providers. Can you not just clear the bill when your new card arrives and resume service?

Actually it is. Most teleco providers now have a shared system called credit insights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Utilities now share information with each other on customers that don't pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Utilities now share information with each other on customers that don't pay.

It's called "debt flagging".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I'll get to the point. My eir broadband stopped working about 2 months ago and I only got around to getting onto them today. They said I've been cut off due to not paying my bill. I checked my bank statement true enough I haven't paid since July (it's €20p/m and I've a few around that mark so I didn't notice). 
    I signed a D/D form etc in the shop when I signed up but they are telling me that I had to advise them when my new card came as the expiry would have been different, they said it wasn't a D/D they were taking a card payment every month. I remember asking AIB at the time would all my bills keep going out as normal, they said yes. I'm at a loss as to where I can go now. Without even contacting me they blacklisted me and are saying I will never get a bill pay phone/broadband again with Eir or any other network (bar Virgin) as they share info on blacklisted customers. Is there anything I can do?

Will they not reconnect you when you pay the outstanding bill ?

Actually it is. Most teleco providers now have a shared system called credit insights.

Is that not in relation to a mobile network only?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This is mobile though if it's €20 a month.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    This is mobile though if it's €20 a month.

My apologies, I understood the OP to be referring to Broadband over the phone line. €20 would be pretty cheap if this was the case :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Hang on, 2 months you say? 60-62 days, 20 x 2 = 40.
    What is the definition of default?
    The definition of default is past due 90 days and the amount owed is above the minimum limit.
    How will I know if eir have submitted my details to the Credit Insights database?
    eir will write to every qualifying customer at least 28 days before loading their details into Credit Insights. This gives the customer sufficient time to pay their bill and avoid their details being loaded in to the database.

Have eir written to you to give you a chance to clear the balance owed? If not you'll need to contact the DPC and Comreg ASAP.

When did you sign the contract btw? If it was before September 2016 it doesn't apply to you. Only customers who signed up after this date are affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

July August Sept Oct is 4 months if its inclusive. Long enough to be declared delinquent, device blacked and passed to a debt collector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

ED E wrote: »
    July August Sept Oct is 4 months if its inclusive. Long enough to be declared delinquent, device blacked and passed to a debt collector.

OP said bill was last paid in July. So August September October. I'm assuming eir didn't give him 28 days notice via post. The OP was never afforded the opportunity to clear the debt before a mark is/was put on credit insights.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

Sorry for not getting back to you all.

Thanks for the advice, I got a letter from a debt collection around the middle of November agency requesting the outstanding amount. Which I paid immediately, that was the first written correspondence (or any form) I received from Eir.

I had a mobile broadband dongle. It just annoyed me that they never contacted me I always pay all my bills as they come in the door (or inbox) to think that one of my smallest bills would have me blacklisted is frustrating! But sure what can you do.

Advertisement