Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ip camera data usage?

Options
  • 07-11-2017 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an ip camera set up in our shed and use an app on the Android box to view it on our tv. Everything is on and viewed on the home network.

Am I right in saying that this has no affect on our monthly data cap when viewing on the same network?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

tiny timy wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an ip camera set up in our shed and use an app on the Android box to view it on our tv. Everything is on and viewed on the home network.

Am I right in saying that this has no affect on our monthly data cap when viewing on the same network?

Thanks

Most would have unlimited and this would have no effect.
    If you are viewing through your app you are using your data be it a phones data or you local network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

altor wrote: »
    Most would have unlimited and this would have no effect.
    If you are viewing through your app you are using your data be it a phones data or you local network.

it depends - if you are on your wifi and using the local IP address then you are on your network so no data. If for example you open ports on your router and using an DNS or your public ip address then you are using data either on your mobile data or your broadband provider.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

address then you are on your network so no data. If for example you open ports on your router and using an DNS or your public ip address then you are using data either on your mobile data or your broadband provider.

This isn't always the case.

It depends on your firewall. What router and ISP are you using? Some route traffic without going through the ISP. Local traffic isn't charged for anyway as that doesn't leave your network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Mr. G wrote: »
    This isn't always the case.

It depends on your firewall. What router and ISP are you using? Some route traffic without going through the ISP. Local traffic isn't charged for anyway as that doesn't leave your network.

ok I take it you would need to set up a rule on your router to route the DDNS to a local IP so that it routes it locally when you are on your wifi.

Advertisement