Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online running coach

• 07-11-2017 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    as the title suggests, i'm looking for an online coach to get back into the running scene again, specifically someone for hill running.

Before someone suggests join a club, it doesn't suit, as my free time is erratic, usually just lunchtimes.

i'm hoping with someone to dictate a plan to me i'd be more motivated to follow it though. i have had injury that has curtailed my running for the past few years & finding it very hard to get consistent miles in.

i have followed JD training plans in the past & they have worked well but way off the mark now & want to get started again.

if anyone has any suggestions, please PM me,
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Enduro

Any particular races or race types that you're targetting? By hill running do you mean IMRA races? Do you have easy access to hills to train in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭jfh

Enduro wrote: »
    Any particular races or race types that you're targetting? By hill running do you mean IMRA races? Do you have easy access to hills to train in?

Yeah imra, I have hills to train on, not serious hills but enough to get a certain level of fitness on. Can also use a treadmill

Done loads of road racing & never going to get back to my pbs on the road, did a few imra races but completely died on the hills as no specific training.
    No race in particular lined up at the moment, too soon.

Don't know one IMRA runner who does online coaching. A lot of us will meet for trail runs or hill repeats, but that's about it really here in the South.

But maybe try Rene Borg at Champions Everywhere in Wicklow, or Paul Tierney and Sarah McCormack in Missing Link in Cumbria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Ceepo

What it the injury that curtailed your running

• Advertisement

Ceepo wrote: »
    What it the injury that curtailed your running

High hamstring tendonopathy
    Still not 100 %

Oh and if you're based in Cork, call in to Robbie Williams in Fitnessworx Gym.

I wouldn't really divide up running between hills and flat, more length of run or time on feet. A very good 10 mile runner will make a decent fist of most up and down runs, like Carrauntoohil, Lug etc. But might find a 5-6 hour outing like the Mournes Skyrun outside his range. Have seen good road runners land in and win trail runs. Sure, things like the cadence will differ, and there are techniques to maximise getting the most out of going uphill and going down. But a lot of it really starts with being a good runner, then being able to navigate if going for longer outings across mountains, being comfortable with the gear etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Barry Murray does online coaching, @ON4Sport, on twitter, and knows his stuff when it comes to hills.

i'm hoping the hills will strengthen the legs & be less impact since i'm pushing on:o
    if i had someone to lay out a training schedule i think i'd get back into the consistency of running again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Ceepo

jfh wrote: »
    i'm hoping the hills will strengthen the legs & be less impact since i'm pushing on:o
    if i had someone to lay out a training schedule i think i'd get back into the consistency of running again.

The 1st thing that you need to do is sort out your injury problem.. you can not realistically start into any run training program and commit 100% to it if you are carrying any injury.

Have you seen or plan to see someone about that?.

While running hills will certainly help with strength there will also be higher impact running down them.
    Strength is only 1 variable when it comes to running. You also need speed, balance, aerobic capacity etc etc..

Re coaching.. talk to a few coaches and make sure you are both in the same wave length.
    Be realistic about your goals and time available for training. There are a lot if coaches out there now, not all will be compatible for you..

• Advertisement
Advertisement