Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dustin the turkey, ??

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

shineon23 wrote: »
    Hold on a second, he's not a real a turkey? :confused::pac:

You should have put a spoiler alert on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

His voice was definitely different in the early years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Loughc wrote: »
    He wouldn’t be the only muppet lecturing there.

Hweh hweh hweh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

Dustin was on Expose on TV3 tonight, i caught glimpse of him while I was changing channels, honest:cool:.

But I went to TV3 Player there now to make sure it was him
    https://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/183/0/Xpose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

No.
    The only person/puppet/ turkey in the land to rip the absolute p!ss outta the so called "celebrity culture" on our tiny little island,expertly so too I might add.

surejan.w1200.h630.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

briany wrote: »
    The time Dustin gatecrashed Ray, and Zig & Zag's more mature vehicle, 2Phat...

"I CAN'T UNDERSTAND YOUR ENGLISH ACCENT!! SPEAKIN' DE IRISH!! SPEAKIN' DE IRISH!!"

While wearing a man und jersey, is he a pastiche of every bar store spinner republican... yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭gnarbarian

The Briggan, the Brack, the Noggin and the Fermot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No.
    The only person/puppet/ turkey in the land to rip the absolute p!ss outta the so called "celebrity culture" on our tiny little island,expertly so too I might add.

Frank Hall was doing just that before many Boardsies were thought of.
    Mike Murphy et al, Dermot Morgan in pre Fr Ted days.

It wasn't all po-faced tv and radio presenters back in the olden days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sure wasn't he on with D'Arcy recently being all polite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

wtf happened to Podge and Rodge as well...they did pg/neuter them a bit in the later years of the chat show

That Secret RTE producer covered it on his/her twitter. Pretty much made change the show beyond all recognition, lost the viewers and was cancelled.

They're active enough on twitter these days though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Zig & Zag were the creations of design students Ciaran Morrison and Mick O'Hara. At Christmas 1990 they needed a turkey for a brief stint on The Den and they turned to Ciaran's youngest brother, John. Dustin was initially to end up as Zig & Zag's Christmas lunch, but he got a reprieve on the grounds that he was only half-turkey and half a scrawny*, unappetising vulture. When Zig & Zag left to pursue success in Britain, Dustin grabbed his opportunity to fill the vacancy.

https://m.independent.ie/lifestyle/the-birdman-of-belgrade-26442852.html

Dustin: " Who are you calling scrawny!"
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

He had a radio show as well

Really O'Reilly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anyone remember this extra at the end of one of the early podge and rodge videos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

gozunda wrote: »

Many may not realise it but zig and zag was actually a 3 man operation.

Remember that row he had with Sean Ban Breathneach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

Dustin needs his own talk show. He could called it The Dustin Show! or Saturday Chat with Dustin & Soky! (Soky would be his assistant on this show & obviously it would be on a Saturday), I miss Soky too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

A Christmas Crisis is on YouTube for anyone who cares.

Such great memories!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

tossy wrote: »
    Many may not realise it but zig and zag was actually a 3 man operation.

Wicklow man?!?!? DAFUQ, tis is more shocking to me that all those stories of hollywood leches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I miss Soky too.

I miss Ciara : (

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Wicklow man?!?!? DAFUQ, tis is more shocking to me that all those stories of hollywood leches.

I'm lost :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

Was on 96fm this morning promoting the book. Did they change the voice? Sounded more like Padraig Harington than the old Dustin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I'm sure he's got a bit older and his voice has changed :)

This happens a lot as a character matures, Homer Simpson and Peter Griffin sound very different in early episodes of their shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

branie2 wrote: »
    Remember that row he had with Sean Ban Breathneach?

Sean Ban Sean Ban Breathneach
    Mná Na Mná Na hÉireann

was his taunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

Good compilation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Does anyone remember when he first appeared on the show ?
    Ian Dempsey was presenting the Den with Zig and Zag and he was promising Dustin Hoffman - and isn't that his full name ?
    Dustin Hoffman ?

Maybe they since dropped the Hoffman to cover asses being sued ...

You're right, his full name was Dustin Hoffmann in the beginning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Phat Dick

I find Dustin as funny as leukemia and the Den wasn't funny either it was cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Well leukaemia is subjective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭weadick

branie2 wrote: »
    At one point in the Den, Podge pretended to be Dustin, with a blatantly obvious plastic cup for a beak

I'd love to find clips of this again and the first Christmas Crises where Podge broke into their house and broke Ray's clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Dustin was so much fun back then on RTÉ. Kids today really don't know what they are missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Dustin on the Panel

An outtake with Dustin and Snotzer. I think Dustin was really laughing that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Pero_Bueno wrote: »
    Does anyone remember when he first appeared on the show ?
    Ian Dempsey was presenting the Den with Zig and Zag and he was promising Dustin Hoffman - and isn't that his full name ?
    Dustin Hoffman ?

Maybe they since dropped the Hoffman to cover asses being sued ...
    As I recall, Zag won a turkey in a golf competition and they were planning to eat it for Christmas. In the beginning he was just that, a turkey, no clothes, language or personality.

But it turned out that it could talk and his name was Dustin Hoffman. So he got a reprieve.

It was all just part of one of their Christmas skits during Dempsey's time. However, the turkey stayed on and gradually morphed into a Northside Dublin builder and eventually a nationally known character outside of children's TV, even though he's just a puppet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

One of my favourite memories was the noise in the background as the Hi-ace pulled up, Dustin shouted his thanks to Snotzer then arrived on set with the classic "It's all right for you boyos, sitting around watching Fiddly Fudleberg and Buali all day, I've done a days work".

I use that same line from time to time when I come in from work, only to be met with blank stares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

As I recall, Zag won a turkey in a golf competition and they were planning to eat it for Christmas. In the beginning he was just that, a turkey, no clothes, language or personality.

But it turned out that it could talk and his name was Dustin Hoffman. So he got a reprieve.

It was all just part of one of their Christmas skits during Dempsey's time. However, the turkey stayed on and gradually morphed into a Northside Dublin builder and eventually a nationally known character outside of children's TV, even though he's just a puppet.

I loved the way that whole scene played out. It had everything: cuddly Ian Dempsey, the guy off Play The Game, the reference to the fella in Tootsie...
    But let's get real, here - that was the year I was supposed to be studying for my Inter. Dustin was looking a little frayed by the time I was leaving college, which was 2 decades ago.
    He's like the guys in the tiresome Cha & Miya sketches: the olds who commission stuff in RTE think this stuff is hilarious but that doesn't mean anybody under the age of 30 agrees...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭briany

weadick wrote: »
    I'd love to find clips of this again and the first Christmas Crises where Podge broke into their house and broke Ray's clock.

That used to be on Youtube in its entirety. Been taken down for a while now, though.

Podge's classic threat on that one - "Your face... This hand... Bang!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Anytime Dustin burned twink, it was brilliant

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC he was half turkey half vulture, so they couldn't eat him at Christmas

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The nice thing about Dustin is that he respected the kids.

As long as they were five or under.

There was a six year old kid on the phone

Ray - Where're you from ?
    Kid - I'm from Carlow
    Dustin - Sorry
    Kid - I said I'm from..
    Dustin interrupting - yeah I heard you the first time, wha wha

The late Derek Davis was a target of fun for Dustin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭briany

Here's one Dustin used to come out with, "Arklow! Arklow! Arklow! MEGA MEGA WIDE THING!!"

Dustin once appeared on ITV Saturday Morning's SMTV live and had me in stitches.

I remember him saying something like 'your a fine lookin burd' to Cat Deeeley.

No way would he get away with his antics today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

salonfire wrote: »
    I remember him saying something like 'your a fine lookin burd' to Cat Deeeley

Didn’t always have an eye for talent though, here’s one he let slip under the radar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I loved the way that whole scene played out. It had everything: cuddly Ian Dempsey, the guy off Play The Game, the reference to the fella in Tootsie...
    But let's get real, here - that was the year I was supposed to be studying for my Inter. Dustin was looking a little frayed by the time I was leaving college, which was 2 decades ago.
    He's like the guys in the tiresome Cha & Miya sketches: the olds who commission stuff in RTE think this stuff is hilarious but that doesn't mean anybody under the age of 30 agrees...

He also would randomly turn up on the xtra factor slagging Simon Cowell a few years back. Louis Walsh must have had some connection with that. Did anyone buy his book that was out?

Advertisement