Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any point in chasing manufacturer?

Options
  • 07-11-2017 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

About three years ago my parents purchased a fridge from a local hardware store. The door on the fridge gave trouble from day one. When they went back to the store, they were told to contact the manufacturer. They did, and a couple of engineers came out during the warranty period, and at one stage they replaced the door. It was still never right though. Once the warranty ran out they stopped being helpful so my parents decided to just put up with it. Then Monday morning the door fell off the fridge.

I've told them they need to take the issue up with the store but they're not willing to. It's a small village and they know the family who run the store and don't want to be "causing problems". I can see there point, as the store just fobbed them off with the manufacturer when they initially did go back. Is there any point in trying to chase the manufacturer? Or do they just have to accept the loss since they aren't willing to deal with the shop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,022 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You've no contract with the manufacturer; they're unlikely to deal with you. If their support is in the UK it may be worth giving it a go due to different regs there and a general lack of understanding that Ireland is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Whilst technically they could take a small claims case if they can show it was a manufacturing issue, but even then any award would be a reduced value based on usage.

And then you'd have the bad blood.

Easier option is for them to mention it to the store and see if they'll give a good price on a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Thanks for the advice. The store only stocks this brand, and there's no way my mother is ever having it again. It wasn't exactly cheap either. They'll just have to learn there lesson and go somewhere else for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

its not the manufacturer you need to go after its the retailer. whether friends or not, your parents rights are with the retailer, acquaintance does not dilute their statutory rights.

armed with this information they could have a chat with the store owner and seek redress in the form of a discounted new appliance. in fact they would have to talk to him anyway if they did decide to take a SCC case.

they could take a small claims case, and detail the problems they had, and the fact that whatever repairs were made were not permanent. thus they could request a replacement or refund. Im assuming they can offer evidence of the repair/repairs eg email thread letters etc. they would have a very good case, but any awards is likely to be pro rata on value now, rather than full value.

As far as i see one barrier here is you think your parents would turn down a similar make, different model, if it was offered, but if you parents refused a replacement offer - this could count against them in SCC. It seems hardly sensible to say all machines made by manufacturer are crap because i had a bad one.

First step is a chat with retailer. see what redress if any is forthcoming.

Advertisement