Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance; whats going on?

Options
  • 07-11-2017 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

I had a full NCB until 4 years ago when I moved away. I am back in Ireland since September and now badly need a car for work.

My brother is selling me his Honda Civic 1.6 2005 worth about 2k.

I couldnt get a quote online apart from AXA who quoted 3.5k for third party wtf is going on I have full clean licence for 10 years and never had claim. By insurance when I left was €440 on a higher value car, not joking there. Pissed of cause I need car asap for work.

Ill be on the phone in morning.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

You would lose NCB after 2 years of not being insured here. Apart from that, premiums have being on the rise for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,787 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes after 2 years it's gone and you start from scratch. Try ring all insurers for quotes, if you were driving abroad some insurers depending on that country might take that in to account for NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

yeah but 3.5k? trying to attract doctors and nurses back to work here? sorry guys, feck all houses, yis have to rent 2k a month please. car insurance? yiv been away for 2 years? that'll be 3.5k please. this. country.is. insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

MrSzyslak wrote: »
    I had a full NCB until 4 years ago when I moved away. I am back in Ireland since September and now badly need a car for work.

My brother is selling me his Honda Civic 1.6 2005 worth about 2k.

I couldnt get a quote online apart from AXA who quoted 3.5k for third party wtf is going on I have full clean licence for 10 years and never had claim. By insurance when I left was €440 on a higher value car, not joking there. Pissed of cause I need car asap for work.

Ill be on the phone in morning.

Any suggestions?

Don’t pay 2k for a 2005 Civic !! Overpriced.

Insurance companies across the board have a policy of allowing people 2 years (I think) lapse in cover and then bye bye NCB and history . The insurance industry in this country is a joke, look at the ridiculous situation with cars over 10/15 years old, total bull$h1t .

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MrSzyslak

Thanks I'll ring around tomorrow. I thought it was a case of quick quote online shop around and and sort it out tomorrow was thinking maybe 1k as heard it had gone up but this is ridiculous.

Side note any idea on motor tax. 1.6 Petrol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Thanks I'll ring around tomorrow. I thought it was a case of quick quote online shop around and and sort it out tomorrow was thinking maybe 1k as heard it had gone up but this is ridiculous.

€514

SCOOP 64 wrote:
    €514

Not bad I'll be on the road for 4 grand all in ha.. oh and need to renew my license which has expired since August. Another 55 why not sure haha

Not bad I'll be on the road for 4 grand all in ha.. oh and need to renew my license which has expired since August. Another 55 why not sure haha

Cost of insurance is ridiculous now even for people with full no claims bonus,
    don't know when its going to level out if ever, people in rural areas wont be able to afford to get to work at this rate.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    €514

My post-2008 1.6 diesel is €205 motor tax. Surely the disparity is not that substantial?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

My post-2008 1.6 diesel is €205 motor tax. Surely the disparity is not that substantial?

That’s the old cc based system v’s the newer CO2 based system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭Tow

The 2005 car is also too old. The insurance companies have decided (in the last couple of years) that people who buy a 10+ year car are high risk.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Never insure a vehicle for less than €4k, the insurance companies load cheap cars. Doesn't matter if you over value as they'll only pay book value anyway, but make sure you never under value as that's all they'll pay.

Tow wrote:
    The 2005 car is also too old. The insurance companies have decided (in the last couple of years) that people who buy a 10+ year car are high risk.

Would I be much better off going up a few years and dropping from 1.6 to 1.3 or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Wheety wrote: »
    You would lose NCB after 2 years of not being insured here. Apart from that, premiums have being on the rise for the last few years.

Wait I thought even one day of un-insured and you lose NCB?
    My insurance is up on 24th of May and my birthday is on 28th of May when I hit 25.

Can I just float for 4 days without insurance and then apply and hopefully get quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

arleitiss wrote: »
    Can I just float for 4 days without insurance and then apply and hopefully get quote?

Just don't be floating in your car... and hope it is not stolen or damaged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

com1 wrote: »
    Just don't be floating in your car... and hope it is not stolen or damaged

Nah it's fine, I can work from home for 4 days so that wouldn't be an issue.
    But would that actually work? or would my NCB dissapear?

arleitiss wrote: »
    Nah it's fine, I can work from home for 4 days so that wouldn't be an issue.
    But would that actually work? or would my NCB dissapear?

Wont be a problem at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Been through this myself recently - 6 years off the road so treated like someone who has never had insurance. €2000 (including 6% "levy" to pay by instalments to ease the cash flow pain) for a 2007 1.4 Nissan via a broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

Honda Civic 1.6 2005, that's a very wrong car, it's too old and has a boy racer image attached to it.
    And if you were away but still insured in that other country you may be able to get them to consider it as at least one year of NCB. That is, if you actually didn't have any claims.

Advertisement