Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strike against the banks

• 07-11-2017 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Tax avoidance as detailed in the paradise papers
    The tracker mortgage scandal
    Mortgage interest rates higher than Europe
    The bank bailout scandal.
    Lack of compassion to those with distressed mortgages

I believe that the Irish people should be protesting against the banks. We should be much angrier with the banks than we are with out politicians. We should strike on mass until.they learn to behave .

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,327 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well unless you can convince your employer to suddenly start paying you in bags of cash I can see at least one flaw in your plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Strike how exactly ??

Not go to the bank ?, they’d be delighted, they don’t want people on any more, I haven’t been in a bank in maybe a year, how will they notice me not going on now ?
    Not go to work ?, what would that achieve?, me not going to work and so not getting paid hurts me and the bank see no difference so no affect.
    Not get my wages paid in ?, I can’t its my only option.

Politicians, banks and the Irish people all acted equally wreckless and the result was a melt down.
    The banks have been tasked with becoming profitable. They need to offset the losses on tracker mortgages and so need to over charge on other loans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

You were trying to decide which mortgage offer to pick all of 3 months ago. Handy to propose a strike after you've got 300k from them I suppose.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wesser wrote: »
    At this point why should I have compassion for someone who has a bank loan that they can't afford? There is no shortage of work for those who want it!
    And stop using the term "distressed" as if it's not your fault that you can't now pay your mortgage. Whose fault is it? The banks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Wesser wrote: »
    Tax avoidance as detailed in the paradise papers
    The tracker mortgage scandal
    Mortgage interest rates higher than Europe
    The bank bailout scandal.

I believe that the Irish people should be protesting against the banks. We should be much angrier with the banks than we are with out politicians. We should strike on mass until.they learn to behave .

Avoidance is legal. We all do it, just most of us lack the means to set up individual schemes.

Trackers? Granted......they needs to be sorted by some vigorous and creative enforcement.

Mortgage interest rates.....we need more competition in the market

Bailout? Scandal? Maybe

Distressed mortgages? Yes there was reckless lending but there was a lot of reckless borrowing too (it takes two to tango).....plus as long as the courts are soft in repossession no new competitors will lend into the market because why would you offer a loan secured on an asset that you can't get back if the borrower defaults? So high mortgage rates are the price we're paying for a soft approach to repossession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Most Credit Unions should now be able to accept direct payments from your employer or DSP. The payment will still be processed through the bank clearing system but you can avoid having an account in a bank.

Advertisement