Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The pain of trying to restore WhatsApp from iCloud

Options
  • 07-11-2017 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭

Setting up a new iPhone for someone and WhatsApp is causing me no end of grief.

The app on the old phone is backed up to iCloud from within the app, I can view the backup on both phones in iCloud, but when WhatsApp is installed on the new phone, same phone number, the app says there's no backup found despite it being there.

Seems a few have the issue but I've yet to see anyone discuss a solution.

Anyone come across the problem and resolve it?

Viber seems to have the same issue, doesn't pick up the backup automatically.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I had a problem with WhatsApp too both on my own phone when setting up the X and on my wife’s when I was setting up my old 6S for her. Both times, the App seemed to hang at about the half way point when “installing”. I lost patience and deleted the app, re installed it again from cloud. I was forced to go through the WhatsApp setup wizard but I was able to download my chat history from their cloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

How do you install just that particular app from the cloud as opposed to from the store?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How do you install just that particular app from the cloud as opposed to from the store?

It seemed to be stuck installing. So I just force touched on the app and deleted it (while it was still showing in progress installing). Then I went to the App Store and installed it from there and it installed immediately that way.
    But when I launched the app I had to go through the WhatsApp setup wizard. Enter my phone number, etc and it also prompted me if I wanted to restore my chat history (which is stored separately on icloud). I think I lost a handful of messages as I’d forgotten to force-backup WhatsApp messages as a first step (last backup was from the previous night).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Cheers.

Something odd was going on. Initially as I said a fresh install wouldn't find the backup so in the meantime I downloaded the latest IOS update.

Took a very long time and once downloaded it wouldn't install, failed on verification no matter what I tried. So deleted the update, redownloaded the update which was much quicker. Once installed I downloaded WhatsApp from the store and the installation immediately found the backup and restored it this time around.

Same with Viber, backup restored immediately once opened after the OS update.

Advertisement