Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Named driver claim on 2nd policy

Options
  • 08-11-2017 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Looking at going down as a named driver under my fathers name with him taking out a 2nd policy.

Just wondering if i was to be in an accident will his no claims bonus on his main policy be affected even though im a named driver on his 2nd policy that had 0 years ncb?

Also will liberty insurance still pay a third party claim if the accident was to happen while i was driving unaccompanied on a provisional license? According to their website it says i am not covered to drive on my own but doesnt state anything about it in their terms and conditions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

You're looking for advice on a proposed course of action you know to be illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

A36G wrote: »
    Looking at going down as a named driver under my fathers name with him taking out a 2nd policy.

Just wondering if i was to be in an accident will his no claims bonus on his main policy be affected even though im a named driver on his 2nd policy that had 0 years ncb?

Also will liberty insurance still pay a third party claim if the accident was to happen while i was driving unaccompanied on a provisional license? According to their website it says i am not covered to drive on my own but doesnt state anything about it in their terms and conditions?

That is known as fronting and is illegal.

In the unlikely event that you would manage to get a policy on a second car with no bonus and you named, if you had a crash it would not effect the bonus on the main car however as the policy is in his name he would have to declare it and it would likely impact other providers willingness to quote him.

There is also the fact that proposals are upcoming that will mean learner drivers that are driving unaccompanied can face fines of up to €2000, 6 months in jail and having the vehicle seized.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 A36G

That is known as fronting and is illegal.

In the unlikely event that you would manage to get a policy on a second car with no bonus and you named, if you had a crash it would not effect the bonus on the main car however as the policy is in his name he would have to declare it and it would likely impact other providers willingness to quote him.

There is also the fact that proposals are upcoming that will mean learner drivers that are driving unaccompanied can face fines of up to €2000, 6 months in jail and having the vehicle seized.

I already have a policy in my own name on a 1 litre car but looking to get insured on the fathers 2nd policy as we will both be using the car since his main policy is on a van which he finds impractical. Its only fronting if i was to drive the car full time from what ive read?

Already got a very good quote with him taking a 2nd policy out without ncb and me named. So when he goes to renew his main policy he will have to declare any claims on his 2nd policy regardless of who was driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

A36G wrote:
    Already got a very good quote with him taking a 2nd policy out without ncb and me named. So when he goes to renew his main policy he will have to declare any claims on his 2nd policy regardless of who was driving?

If a claim goes through on his policy it must be declared, regardless of who is the driver. However, as Business Cat advised, that will be the least of his problems if you drive without an authorised driver beside you. In the event of an accident, it is likely the Gardai will attend and then the fun starts

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A36G wrote: »
    I already have a policy in my own name on a 1 litre car but looking to get insured on the fathers 2nd policy as we will both be using the car since his main policy is on a van which he finds impractical. Its only fronting if i was to drive the car full time from what ive read?

Why not just ad him as a named driver on your policy? Then at least the policy will be legit, until you drive on your own!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

If u drive on your own- then u are on your own to pay the claim and take the endorsement for driving uninsured, penalty points fine and lifelong knowledge u may have injured someone for the rest of their lives, if they survive

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cplwhisper wrote: »
    If u drive on your own- then u are on your own to pay the claim and take the endorsement for driving uninsured, penalty points fine and lifelong knowledge u may have injured someone for the rest of their lives, if they survive

The insurance company will cover the 3rd party. They can then sue to reclaim the cost of the claim from the driver, apparently they have started to do this now.

Advertisement