Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can a newbie to the rental market haggle rent price?

Options
  • 08-11-2017 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

can a newbie to the rental market haggle the rental price with the estate agent?
    last time i rented was for 4 years in college but since then, ive been living at home so its about 8 years since i was renting.

can i haggle the price or is it set in stone? dont want to go in like an eejit

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Depending on location, generally, demand is high and supply low = not a haggler's market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭emo72

gercoral wrote: »
    can a newbie to the rental market haggle the rental price with the estate agent?
    last time i rented was for 4 years in college but since then, ive been living at home so its about 8 years since i was renting.

not a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

gercoral wrote: »

Yes you can. You can offer more than the other people are offering in the hope that you win the bidding.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Del2005 wrote: »
    Yes you can. You can offer more than the other people are offering in the hope that you win the bidding.

Cognisant of rent controls- and the 4% per annum rent increase limits in RPZs.

OP- short and simple is- not a snowballs chance in hell of haggling on the rent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Cognisant of rent controls- and the 4% per annum rent increase limits in RPZs.

OP- short and simple is- not a snowballs chance in hell of haggling on the rent price.
    To be honest I haven't seen one obviously rpzed rental on daft. I generally just look at West Dublin though. All the existing rentals should be on the market for non-round amounts because 4% rarely throws out 1800 or 2000 etc. Maybe folks are rounding up the few euro but I'd say the rpz rules are just being ignored mostly for new tenancies (the aspect of rent control I never agreed with)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

I would not think so unless you live in a remote area where the chance of a rental is low.
    Places all around the Midlands are going like mad, Athlone doesnt have too many free spaces to rent and with the Apple factory going up the houses are flying off the shelves also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I would not think so unless you live in a remote area where the chance of a rental is low.
    Places all around the Midlands are going like mad, Athlone doesnt have too many free spaces to rent and with the Apple factory going up the houses are flying off the shelves also.
    What Apple factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

What Apple factory?

Skyrimaddict probably means the proposed Data Center. But that, if it happens, would be Athenry not Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Claw Hammer probably means the proposed Data Center. But that, if it happens, would be Athenry not Athlone.
    A Data Centre is not a factory. So what factory?

What Apple factory?

Good question- I wasn't aware Apple were planning a factory in Athlone- I know there was a massive expansion mooted for Cork (and then there is the sorry saga of Athenry- which may still end in tears).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What Apple factory?

We call them orchards in these parts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

thanks for the replies.
    rental accommodation in my area is very few and far between unfortunately. place im looking at is 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apt, relatively good location in a small town for 700. looking at renting on my own. so with my current wage, i would have to live on toast and beans to afford the 700euro (and thats not including bills :( )

even if i could get 80-100 knocked off price, it'd make a huge difference but i've a feeling i'd have more chance of winning the powerball in usa

Ger- its highly unlikely you'll get a discount on the price- also- for a 2 bed apartment- 700 is really good value (in some places in West Dublin you can pay 1500-1750 for a 2 bed apartment).

If accommodation is as scarce as you're suggesting- and the few shekels will make a big difference- how about looking at a 3 bed instead- and making use of the rent-a-room scheme to let one or more of the bedrooms to others? You can earn up to 14k per annum tax free doing this (however this includes all contributions towards bill shares etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

Not black and white. The main factor in whether you can haggle is how long the property has been vacant. We looked at a place late last year and were quoted a rental price. It was still on the market 2 months later (spanning Christmas). Offered a 100 less a month and got it. Landlord was pragmatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭mel123

Ger- its highly unlikely you'll get a discount on the price- also- for a 2 bed apartment- 700 is really good value (in some places in West Dublin you can pay 1500-1750 for a 2 bed apartment).

If accommodation is as scarce as you're suggesting- and the few shekels will make a big difference- how about looking at a 3 bed instead- and making use of the rent-a-room scheme to let one or more of the bedrooms to others? You can earn up to 14k per annum tax free doing this (however this includes all contributions towards bill shares etc).

Can you make use of rent a room scheme while sub renting? If the answer is yes, bloody hell, i never knew this!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Jim 77

It would be much easier if you were dealing direcly with the owner rather than an EA. However, in order to haggle in the current market you would need to have something to offer in return for a rent reduction.

Renting an apartment in a complex you could offer to act as a 'super' or just do odd jobs such as cutting the grass, cleaning shared areas etc. The same applies to "room rentals" within a house where one person can get a rent reduction for taking care of the house - I've given reductions in the these cases.

In a rent-a-room scheme there's a lot you could offer the owners in return for a rent reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Haggling on rent tends to only go upwards at the moment. If you don't take it at the asking price there's dozens willing to pay.

That's for Dublin anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

A Data Centre is not a factory. So what factory?

Yes, this is the really salient issue on the thread, let’s hone in on this. :rolleyes:

mel123 wrote: »
    Can you make use of rent a room scheme while sub renting? If the answer is yes, bloody hell, i never knew this!!!!

If you rent a house or aprtment and then let a spare room to someone it's treated the same as if you owned the house and let the spare room. Any income up to 14k is tax exempt.

Advertisement