Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal requirement for towing a caravan.

Options
  • 05-11-2017 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Do i need to test this to drive it?Hello i have a 2004 Monza 350/2 caravan. this caravan is under 750kg it has a reg plate 2004.if i am stopped by An Garda will i have a problem or not without a "NCT" for the caravan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

There is no NCT needed for caravans and you can tow it on a class B licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Simona1986 wrote: »
    There is no NCT needed for caravans and you can tow it on a class B licence.

Strictly speaking you can tow it on the B licence as long as:
    - the caravan is braked (as its over 500kg)
    - the combined weight of vehicle + caravan isn't more than 3500kg
    - the combined weight doesn't exceed the gross train weight of the car
    - you don't exceed the nose weight specified by the towbar manufacturer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tooManyChoices

Strictly speaking you can tow it on the B licence as long as:
    - the combined weight of vehicle + caravan isn't more than 3500kg

Just to make sure, these figures are design gross weight, not actual weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Strictly speaking you can tow it on the B licence as long as: - the caravan is braked (as its over 500kg) - the combined weight of vehicle + caravan isn't more than 3500kg - the combined weight doesn't exceed the gross train weight of the car - you don't exceed the nose weight specified by the towbar manufacturer

I think you'll find almost every caravan is braked, it doesn't matter if the combined weight of the car + caravan is more than 3500kg once the trailer is less than 750kg (which the op states is the case), most cars will be able to tow 750kg but I agree with you on the nose weight which will depend on the way the caravan is loaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tooManyChoices

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I think you'll find almost every caravan is braked, it doesn't matter if the combined weight of the car + caravan is more than 3500kg once the trailer is less than 750kg (which the op states is the case), most cars will be able to tow 750kg but I agree with you on the nose weight which will depend on the way the caravan is loaded.

Ah, totally ignored the 750kg bit...thought this sounded suspiciously light.
    Looking it up, the actual weight is of this model is 580kg but the gross weight (mtplm) is 850kg.

So OP, you do have to make sure your total gross weight is <3500kg, but seeing as it's so light you've nothing to worry about unless you're driving something massive like a land-cruiser or range-rover.

• Advertisement
Advertisement