If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wharfedale diamond 220

Options
  • 08-11-2017 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys,
    I'm looking for an affordable (400-500 EURO ) hi-fi system (speakers and amp/receiver), which I want to use it mainly with the PC, through Schiit Fulla 2 DAC (if there's no DAC on the amp/receiver) for music listening:  Tidal Hi-Fi and 24/96 FLAC files on the HDD. I know for sure I want the Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers. As for the amplifier, my current options are:
    - Yamaha RN301
    - Yamaha AS301
    - Yamaha AS501
    - Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10
    I would prefer a network receiver over an integrated amp and I would like to buy something that would fully exploit the speakers' potential, all within the said amount of money.
    Now my question is: which of the above amps/receivers are the best for W D 220 in terms of compatibility, quality of sound and value? Any other options?
    PS: If the product is not "Available to buy online" can I still buy it somehow, given that I live in Galway, ROI?
    Thank you very much and hope to hear from you soon.
    All the best,
    Viorel

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi VOV,

thanks for the post and for once its an easy query!

In my opinion you just cant pass up on the Yamaha RN301 at the price we are selling it for - its a really nice sounding Receiver AND it has a completely fantastic feature count and its just £199 / €219 ( The euro price includes shipping):
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-200994-rn301.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab

As requested the RN301 is a network receiver - but it also has on board DAC's with optical and Coax inputs - it has Airplay and you can make it wifi with the YWA10 adaptor thats just £19.99 / €20 - on top of all that it has 4 analogue inputs, A & B speakers AND an FM tuner and Alarm clock! Oh yeah, Internet radio as well ( again I have to say it does sound really good!)

Add the Yamaha R-N301 to the excellent Wharfedale Diamond 220, with the optional YWA-10 and the retail is €389.98 - we don't have much room for a Boardie deal but we will do it at just €379 for you including shipping ( thats not much more expensive than some stores are charging just for the R-N301 on its own :0 )

Do you need any speaker cable?

Thanks for the query and don't hesitate to drop me a line if we can assist and of course if you would like to order just drop us a mail to sales@richersounds.ie with your contact details and I'll ask one of the guys to give you a call to arrange a delivery for you,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vovIS

Hi,
    First I want to thank you for the quick and comprehensive answer.
    The deal sounds really good, but of course I would need to include some cables:
    - speaker cables - 3m each (?)
    - some cable to connect the PC (it has the following options: S/P DIF, HDMI, USB, eSATA ) to the receiver's DAC
    - some cable to connect the TV -LG32LK450U- (HDMI in, RGB-PC, optical digital audio out, RGB/DVI in) to the receiver
    - other cables that you  think are necessary
    Also, to place the order would I have to send the email to your sales office or how does it work?
    Thank you and have a good one.
    All the best,
    Viorel

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

vovIS wrote: »
    Hi,
    First I want to thank you for the quick and comprehensive answer.
    The deal sounds really good, but of course I would need to include some cables:
    - speaker cables - 3m each (?)
    - some cable to connect the PC (it has the following options: S/P DIF, HDMI, USB, eSATA ) to the receiver's DAC
    - some cable to connect the TV -LG32LK450U- (HDMI in, RGB-PC, optical digital audio out, RGB/DVI in) to the receiver
    - other cables that you  think are necessary
    Also, to place the order would I have to send the email to your sales office or how does it work?
    Thank you and have a good one.
    All the best,
    Viorel
    Hi Viorel.

Both the TV and the PC would need to connect via Optical (S/P Dif).

However the RN301 has only one optical input. To avoid have to unplug once of your source every time you wanted to watch the other. CYP have their optical splitter priced at £54.95 ( I could offer one of these for £34.95)
    https://www.richersounds.com/cyp-aud21.html

Optical cables we have the Cambridge .75m priced at £19.95 ( I could discount to £ 15.00)
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-10526-dig300-075m.aspx

Or there is the HQ 1.5m priced at £12.95
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-201446-hqss4623-15m.aspx

Speaker cable starts at £1.19 for symphony 100
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-900187-symphony-100.aspx

For the above system you could go for the Symphony 200 coming in at £1.79 per meter ( I could do the 6m for £7.80).
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-100101-symphony-200.aspx

For placing the order if you drop me your contact number in a PM we can give you a call.

Hi guys, 
    All good for now and great sound from the system you recommended.  Thqnks alot. 
    Now,  what kind of subwoofer would I be able to pair with the Yamaha R N301 and how would i connect them? 
    Thanks again. 

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi guys, 
    All good for now and great sound from the system you recommended.  Thqnks alot. 
    Now,  what kind of subwoofer would I be able to pair with the Yamaha R N301 and how would i connect them? 
    Thanks again. 
    Hi vovIS,

Glad you got your system sorted and are happy with it! For a sub you would be starting off with a basic Yamaha NSSW050 at £124. This would be connected via a sublink cable which is a single line output for an active subwoofer.

If you are looking at a better sub I would recommend something like the Q Acoustics 3070 sub at £289. This sub is fantastic with a good bit of kick but great tone control.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Hi,  but how exactly would i connect it since the Yamaha RN301 receiver doesn't have a sub out plug? 
    And also,  would there be any possibility of trial before buying it?  Thanks. 

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi,  but how exactly would i connect it since the Yamaha RN301 receiver doesn't have a sub out plug? 
    And also,  would there be any possibility of trial before buying it?  Thanks. 
    Hi VovIS.

Apologies for that. 

Yeah the RN301 does not have a subwoofer connection so you could not connect a subwoofer to it.

There would normally be an option for demos in our demo room but it has been closed due to a large amount of Black Friday stock.

We could set it up on our shopfloor to allow you to to listen.

You would need to let us know when you would be coming so we could have it setup for you.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.