Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hive, a good place to start?

• 08-11-2017 8:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting hive from bord gais. Wondering if it's a good place to start!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Daisy 55 wrote:
    Thinking of getting hive from bord gais. Wondering if it's a good place to start!

In short yes. It's good kit. There's other options and it depends on your set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Have nothing in that line yet. Standard one zone heating. Standard electrics. Good broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Daisy 55 wrote:
    Have nothing in that line yet. Standard one zone heating. Standard electrics. Good broadband.

Yes hive, natamo, nest etc all.good kit

• Registered Users Posts: 13 scarke1

We have had the HIVE for over a year. But we bought it ourselves in the UK in a store and my husband brought it home and installed it. It was so easy to do. So we didnt have to enter into a contract or pay extra other than the cost of buying it. All you do is mount it on the wall. We use it constantly as we travel a huge amount and its been brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Apologies for jumping in but looking for something similar myself and need it to be able to control multiple zones (upstairs, downstairs and water). Would the Hive suit this or what do people recommend? I looked into Nest but only does one zone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

skerry wrote: »
    Apologies for jumping in but looking for something similar myself and need it to be able to control multiple zones (upstairs, downstairs and water). Would the Hive suit this or what do people recommend? I looked into Nest but only does one zone

Tado can do this (multiple zones) also you can have each room become a zone using their TRV's. Using it the last few weeks and couldn't be happier. Keep an eye on Amazon in the run up to black friday... a few weeks ago they dropped their price of TRV's from £59.99 to £35! Absolute bargain for the best looking smart TRV around.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

I just got this exact setup installed two days ago on my oil heating, bought it online when it was 20%off and bord gais installed it in about an hour.The app is easy to use, and the thermostats looks good.

Bod, is that hive or nest?

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    Bod, is that hive or nest?

It’s hive.

bod71 wrote: »

I just got this exact setup installed two days ago on my oil heating, bought it online when it was 20%off and  bord gais installed it in about an hour.The app is easy to use, and the thermostats looks good.
    Thanks for the info. Does the setup control multiple Zones?

• Advertisement

beanian wrote: »

Tado can do this (multiple zones) also you can have each room become a zone using their TRV's. Using it the last few weeks and couldn't be happier. Keep an eye on Amazon in the run up to black friday... a few weeks ago they dropped their price of TRV's from £59.99 to £35! Absolute bargain for the best looking smart TRV around.
    Had never heard of this one. Must look into it. Just bought a house and all the infrastructure seems to be in place and of good quality but its screaming for a smart thermostat for multiple zone control etc

Thanks for the info. Does the setup control multiple Zones?

Yeah, it does, but I’m not sure how many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I have the original version of Hive which supports only one Zone. At the time (over a year ago) a new version was on the way that would control 2 zones.

Overall I've found Hive to be an excellent system. We dont really use the thermostat, just the App.

Done a bit more reading up on this. I have a basic thermostat on the wall in the kitchen and one on the wall upstairs so looks like I would have to have both replaced with a Tado smart thermostat to have full smart control over both zones. Have a third zone for the water so not sure how this would be controlled.

Think the V2 are a bit cheaper than the V3 so that might be an option. Will keep an eye for any Black Friday reductions.

Could be an expensive upgrade.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Done a bit more reading up on this. I have a basic thermostat on the wall in the kitchen and one on the wall upstairs so looks like I would have to have both replaced with a Tado smart thermostat to have full smart control over both zones. Have a third zone for the water so not sure how this would be controlled.

Yes, sounds like you would need two Tado thermostats and the extension kit to control the hot water zone.

bk wrote: »

Yes, sounds like you would need two Tado thermostats and the extension kit to control the hot water zone.
    Just looking there and that's around 380 Euro in smart gadgetry :'( I'll have to put that one on the back burner for a while (excuse the pun).

I guess I could always do one zone at a time. Anyone know if these things are ever discounted by much around Black Friday?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just looking there and that's around 380 Euro in smart gadgetry :'( I'll have to put that one on the back burner for a while (excuse the pun).

I guess I could always do one zone at a time. Anyone know if these things are ever discounted by much around Black Friday?

There have been good deals on Netatmo in the past (bundled with an Echo Dot), not sure about Tado.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Do you need to have a seperate hive device for each zone you install in (I have the standard 3 zones including 1 water)?

We have a large house and we have one hive downstairs, it has two controls, one for just heating the water and one for the central heating. its just brilliant

Do you need to have a seperate hive device for each zone you install in (I have the standard 3 zones including 1 water)?

Yes you will need two hive thermostats with one of them being a unit that supports hot water control.

• Advertisement

We have the control panel in our house downstairs.there are two thermostats on it, one for heating and one for the water so there is only one panel in total. We bought ours in Maplin in the UK for 99 sterling. It covers all zones.

OP here. Two questions!
    Presume the hot water is through the boiler, not an immersion?
    Also, does the app work well? The comments on Google play aren't great!

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    OP here. Two questions!
    Presume the hot water is through the boiler, not an immersion?
    Also, does the app work well? The comments on Google play aren't great!

Yes the hot water is controlled by the stat and the app, you can still use your immersion separate to heat your water. No problem yet with the app, but it’s early days yet.

We have the Hive for well over a year. Never had any problems. We travel so much so we are constantly using it. We also have the hive plugs to turn lights when we are away and these are brilliant too. Best thing we ever bought to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭lepoatnam

Thinking of investing in Hive, but need a little advice.

Have the boiler in the garage about 15 feet from the house. From reading the installation guide it appears that the receiver has to be wired directly to the boiler, is this correct? I have the boiler on a plug so will I have to rewire.

Also there is 3 zones ground floor, 1st floor and water. So will need a dual channel receiver I presume?

Thanks for being patient with the silly questions. Would like to do this myself without looking for plumber or electrician.

I dont really understand all the talk about zones.....our boiler is a massive new type and has a pressure pump too. our hive is in our kitchen which is not near the boiler. our hive covers the entire house. we only have one hive and it does the whole house.

Anyone have any advice on buying plugs, bulbs or sensors? Looking for a bargain!!

scarke1 wrote: »
    I dont really understand all the talk about zones.....our boiler is a massive new type and has a pressure pump too. our hive is in our kitchen which is not near the boiler. our hive covers the entire house. we only have one hive and it does the whole house.

It sounds like you have just one zone (whole house) and it sounds like you might have a combi boiler.

How does your hot water work? Do you have a big hot water one tank/emersion separate from your boiler? Or does your boiler just heat the water as you use it?

Anyway, no need to worry, you setup is fine.

A lot of people have separate zones, for instance, a downstairs zone and an upstairs zone is quiet common. This allows you to heat downstairs to a different temperature then upstairs. This can be handy as heat rises and sometimes upstairs can end up way too hot while downstairs is just comfortable.

we have individual controls on each radiator...the bedroom ones are hardly turned on unless its bitterly cold. our water is heated if we select it but it is not an immersion as they are way too expensive...we have an enormous boiler and if we turn on the hot water for say 2 hours its enough for a full day

• Advertisement

scarke1 wrote: »
    we have individual controls on each radiator...the bedroom ones are hardly turned on unless its bitterly cold. our water is heated if we select it but it is not an immersion as they are way too expensive...we have an enormous boiler and if we turn on the hot water for say 2 hours its enough for a full day

Ah, ok it sounds like you have the normal system boiler so. Also sounds like you have two zones. One all rads, the other a hot water zone.

Advertisement