Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Monitors - One blacks out after years use

Options
  • 08-11-2017 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've a dual monitor setup and after many years use, the left one works for a few minutes at boot then blacks out.

I've updated the Dell U2410 drivers - last one was 2013.

So when I power off/on the Dell monitor it comes on fine for a few minutes, but then fails. I went into the settings of the monitor and did a factor rest but no change.

I notice when I type on the right, the left screen flickers...

Details:

23.png

24.png

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Have you tried swapping the cables to see if they're causing the problem?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Do you have any USB devices plugged into the offending monitor. That could be causing a power surge on the monitor. I had a similar problem before and took me ages to figure out.

Also, try switching the power cables between the monitors to see if the problem shifts to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Tow

Bad Capacitors in the failing monitor. Try swapping the two around or on another computer to confirm.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Hi All,

Robert, Once of the Dell monitors is the large pinned video lead and one is very small square lead into GFX card - assume showing their age difference!

The new one is working fine.

Boom_Bap - No USB devices plugged into older monitor.

I've tried to update the GFX driver and I'm in new trouble now - the AMD autoinstall is showing an error when trying to install.

See below,

25.png

Now I'm left with only one display in settings and a standard driver that I can't update!

Bigger - I work from home with this setup and its a busy day today - murphys law!

26.png

27.png

Tow wrote: »
    Bad Capacitors in the failing monitor. Try swapping the two around or on another computer to confirm.

I can't - they have different video out leads from what I can see. One is quite older.

• Advertisement

So I've tested the monitor on another PC- same issue, flickering and then blackout

Looks like I need to replace it.

Bummer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

sticker wrote: »
    So I've tested the monitor on another PC- same issue, flickering and then blackout

Looks like I need to replace it.

Bummer.

same cables or did you test different ones?

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    same cables or did you test different ones?

Tested different ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

That's where CRTs had the advantage ...... they were strong enough to withstand a good thumping!

:D:D

Advertisement