Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massey 5440 vs 5455

Options
  • 08-11-2017 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Looking for a100hp loader tractor for general farm work. Saw a nice 5440 but afraid it might be too light.any opinions welcomed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

ive a 5465 see what type engine is on it. I find mine heavy on diesel,,Very poor to pull I'd to get mine re mapped 2 weeks ago a bit happier since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

There's a Perkins engine on mine try to get a sisu engine

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bo dearg

Was also looking at jxu 105. Any ideas as to which is the better. Both 2013 tractors. Really need to make a decision soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I Know a few lads that bought the early 54 series new and were not at all happy ,where the jxu are the exact same as new holland tla series ,and similar to the older tl that everyone on here keep raving about .I would say the jxu would not be as a heavy tractor as the mf and the newer 54 series would probably be an improvement on the older series

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

The JXU are the same as the New Holland TLA. Good machines by all accounts. Not many electrics on them with the exception of a power shuttle, splitter gear, and I think the later ones had a button on the gear stick to engage the clutch.
    The 5440 will be much more modern than a JXU, you probably have the Dyna 4 transmission and a 3 cylinder engine.

We looked at a 5440 last jan, but the cost of trading up was just too much for us. Is there much of a price difference between the two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bo dearg

The JXU are the same as the New Holland TLA. Good machines by all accounts. Not many electrics on them with the exception of a power shuttle, splitter gear, and I think the later ones had a button on the gear stick to engage the clutch.
    The 5440 will be much more modern than a JXU, you probably have the Dyna 4 transmission and a 3 cylinder engine.

We looked at a 5440 last jan, but the cost of trading up was just too much for us. Is there much of a price difference between the two?

Not much massey is dearer by 2k with 1000 extra hours. Just dont have any experience of massey's around here and especially the 5440. Second hand tractors are silly money but i guess so are the new ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Bo dearg wrote: »
    Not much massey is dearer by 2k with 1000 extra hours. Just dont have any experience of massey's around here and especially the 5440. Second hand tractors are silly money but i guess so are the new ones

Neighbour had a 5440 for a few years that didn't give any bother and he wouldn't be easy on gear, traded up to a 5610 and said he preferred the 5440 and that the 5610 felt lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Neighbour had a 5440 for a few years that didn't give any bother and he wouldn't be easy on gear, traded up to a 5610 and said he preferred the 5440 and that the 5610 felt lighter.

Can see his point there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Can see his point there anyway

Have 5610 and a 5612 in the yard here. 5610 is good but much prefer the 5612. Much stronger tractor but the '10 is nimble and really easy to get into tight spaces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Have 5610 and a 5612 in the yard here. 5610 is good but much prefer the 5612. Much stronger tractor but the '10 is nimble and really easy to get into tight spaces

Are ye doing yer own baled silage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Drove a 5612 over the summer. Lovely tractor.

Panch18 wrote: »
    Are ye doing yer own baled silage?

just the second cut and surplus bales.
    Baker needs 2 k spent on her before next season and I don't know is it worth it. I've zero interest in it, dad does but he's not as young as he thinks he is

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Wessel3

How do you find the steering lock on the 12? Drove one and thought it wasn't great for turning circle tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

How do you find the steering lock on the 12? Drove one and thought it wasn't great for turning circle tbh

I find the 5H not great in that regard

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MF290

5610 probably the only new tractor I've driven in the past few years that gave out a puff of smoke!

MF290 wrote: »
    5610 probably the only new tractor I've driven in the past few years that gave out a puff of smoke!

The last of them. Think the 5H still does it too. No ad blue

She needs to a good pull a few times a year though. She does and awful lot of yard work, tipping around. Put her on the bale trailer or 16 ft silage trailer and you immediately see a difference after a few loads in how she's puling

Not as tight as the 10 but she's on 28's and 38's vs 24's and 34's on the 12. You have to reverse her to get around tight turns where as the 5610 would go around in one

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

Reggie. wrote: »
    The last of them. Think the 5H still does it too. No ad blue
    think those new JD 5r range has no ad blue either

• Advertisement

She needs to a good pull a few times a year though. She does and awful lot of yard work, tipping around. Put her on the bale trailer or 16 ft silage trailer and you immediately see a difference after a few loads in how she's puling

Presume it has the egr, found the same with the Deere after a lot of light work.

Presume it has the egr, found the same with the Deere after a lot of light work.

5610 has egr and the 5612 has adblue

annubis wrote:
    think those new JD 5r range has no ad blue either

Still must comply with emissions. Someone here mentioned a 5610 letting out a puff of smoke, I actually saw one working and couldn't get over the amount of smoke out of it, must have been chipped or something(?)

Did ye trade in the auld landini against the 5612? Well wear by the way.

Still must comply with emissions. Someone here mentioned a 5610 letting out a puff of smoke, I actually saw one working and couldn't get over the amount of smoke out of it, must have been chipped or something(?)

Thought they were able to avoid some of the emissions stuff because of the 3 cylinder engine

Thought they were able to avoid some of the emissions stuff because of the 3 cylinder engine

Avoided the adblue but still egr. Landini managed the same with a 4 cylinder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

What kind of money ballpark would a 5612 be coming in at, have a t6140 here remapped and with ad-blue turned off and it's a bear of a tractor but still very nimble for loader work some good value to be got on new hollands with the exchange rate to

jaymla627 wrote: »
    What kind of money ballpark would a 5612 be coming in at, have a t6140 here remapped and with ad-blue turned off and it's a bear of a tractor but still very nimble for loader work some good value to be got on new hollands with the exchange rate to

Contractor I work for bought an ex uk 13 t6.140 with 600 hours for 55k with a quicke loader. Lovely tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Grueller

Contractor I work for bought an ex uk 13 t6.140 with 600 hours for 55k with a quicke loader. Lovely tractor.

Uncle bought one new last year, 161. Quicke loader, €83k inc vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

Does the t6 140 have cab suspension as standard

Advertisement