Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness to practice

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

If she was permanent I doubt this would have happened. She would have gotten a telling off and that would be it. I don't know what she was thinking. Just not able to cope with the stresses of the job.

I must say though that some schools are very good at supporting subs as regards discipline because classes do act up more when the usual classroom teacher is out. Just something to note as it can be hard for subs going into a different classroom every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Yes, because that is a constructive, progressive and transparent disciplinary process.

So you think hauling someone before a tribunal for what was poor behaviour on the low end of the scale is the best way to deal with this? No other sector deals with minor misconduct in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

In a pro teacher world with a pro teacher ‘council’ this might be ‘on the lower end of scale ‘ but with a principal who doesn’t like you and a parent with an axe to grind less than stellar results , not doing separate class plans , having a noisy class etc could see you end up on Morning Ireland ...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Noveight wrote: »
    Sellotaping the mouths of students sounds like the peak of a full blown breakdown. Unbelievable really.
    We used to have metal clothes pegs put on our mouth in senior infants. I was 4 at the time.The nun went on to become a principal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yeah. Big but not that much above average.

She was travelling school to school in the area
    It is, actually, in primary, learning support groups being withdrawn should be no more than 4 at most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Vronsky wrote: »
    So you think hauling someone before a tribunal for what was poor behaviour on the low end of the scale is the best way to deal with this? No other sector deals with minor misconduct in this way.

Do you really think a teacher in authority over 10/11yo children cellotaping children's mounts shut is on the low end?

What about tying there hands together?
    What about tying them to there desks?

What if the child has asthma?
    Reaction to glue?

This is physical abuse to children.
    Would it be okay for patents to cellotape their children's mounts shut to keep them quite?

ForestFire wrote: »
    Do you really think a teacher in authority over 10/11yo children cellotaping children's mounts shut is on the low end?

What about tying there hands together?
    What about tying them to there desks?

What if the child has asthma?
    Reaction to glue?

This is physical abuse to children.
    Would it be okay for patents to cellotape their children's mounts shut to keep them quite?
    What about whataboutery.

If indeed she did do it it was on the low end of misconduct. This should have been dealt with in the school by the principal. I'm no defender of teachers but this as a first case looks an awful lot like putting down a marker.

There are far more serious abuses going on than this, this should have been dealt with in-house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

From what I've seen it CAN'T just be dealt with by the principal.

Anybody can report a case to the teaching council and then they decide whether or not to investigate further.

Not at the discretion of the principal to just give a stern talking to and that be that afaik.

In this case I think it was the mother who reported it to teaching council

(Admittedly I could be wrong )

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Seems like an easy example for the Teaching Councils first outing under this legislation.
    Found a 'sub' teacher to nail among a plethora of complaints received. I am not suggesting complaints are either true or verifiable.
    There is a long process as a poster mentioned above and if a teacher engaged with the process, it is unlikely s/he would face a hearing.
    It is just like when the Education Welfare Act was first used to bring a few parents to court (they were from a group not known for school attendance). Of course it was about five years after the law was enacted.
    The idea seems to be - find one easy victim and that will show the law (and TC) is working well.
    Sorry to be cynical but have seen far too much of this happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    what if they dont have the skills to do these type of things? so effectively, we should just give up on these kids, and kids with certain issues, should be excluded from our educational system? what benefits would this have on society as a whole?

Is it having much benefit including them in the current system that isn't resourced properly (in terms of infrastructural/human resources etc etc) to deal with them and seems to be exacerbating some of these students issues and having a detrimental effect on students who will engage with the process?

I'm sorry but I think there comes a point where inclusivity as wonderful as it sounds comes up against certain harsh realities

The system is an academic one and the current mantra of inclusivity leaves no safety valve and amounts to bashing very square pegs in some cases into very round holes

There used to safety valves of trades, leaving early etc etc but less and less so now due in part to societal attitudes (my johnny will go to college - despite the fact he's not suited to it, will never be, will drink his grant money in 1st year and drop out and go and do what he wanted to in the first place anyway) and in part to schools being judged on how many progress to leaving cert etc

Way too much of the failures of the system is put on teachers shoulders when as a previous poster mentioned its systemic and also imo societal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

Exiled1 wrote: »
    Seems like an easy example for the Teaching Councils first outing under this legislation.
    Found a 'sub' teacher to nail among a plethora of complaints received. I am not suggesting complaints are either true or verifiable.
    There is a long process as a poster mentioned above and if a teacher engaged with the process, it is unlikely s/he would face a hearing.
    It is just like when the Education Welfare Act was first used to bring a few parents to court (they were from a group not known for school attendance). Of course it was about five years after the law was enacted.
    The idea seems to be - find one easy victim and that will show the law (and TC) is working well.
    Sorry to be cynical but have seen far too much of this happening.

If I'm reading this thread correctly

She had left before the hearing and wasn't teaching anymore?

So could she even be compelled to be at the hearing? If not then it does just seem to be exactly like what you suggest.

I also find it strange that sellotape would keep anyone quiet....what age were these kids? There must have been more to it than that surely?

Also with details like that emerging how anonymous is the process really? Like the OP said I find this process to be a little disquieting.... at least the way this one has panned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Do you genuinely believe we have the full facts at hand? Do we have a full picture of the behaviour of this teacher over the course of her career?

For this incident we do. For other incidents, we don't.

The days of bringing somebody in for a bollocking in any industry are long gone. Now, you have to follow due process and show that you followed due process. Though I agree, this should have been handled at school level. Hence why I think there is much more to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Would the first cases not have been around mental health issues and or alcohol that impact on doing the job correctly i.e a person with no insight and who is not willing to get any help.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Do you genuinely believe we have the full facts at hand? Do we have a full picture of the behaviour of this teacher over the course of her career?

For this incident we do. For other incidents, we don't.

The days of bringing somebody in for a bollocking in any industry are long gone. Now, you have to follow due process and show that you followed due process. Though I agree, this should have been handled at school level. Hence why I think there is much more to it.
    If there is more to than this then it should be presented as evidence to the tribunal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If there is more to than this then it should be presented as evidence to the tribunal.

If there is more to this incident, yes it should be presented.

If there is more to the conduct of this teacher, that has not been recorded and documented, then it cannot be presented as evidence to the tribunal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

If there were such concerns about this teacher back in 2012, why wasn't there a Garda investigation and child protection officers involved immediately. I don't know why an accusation of something so serious wasn't dealt with until 2017.
    Surely the principal would have reported it there and then. I also think their little piece of evidence as to the location of the accused from a 12 year old neighbour is silly. Did the solicitor or summons delivery person interview a child without a parent present ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

mariaalice wrote: »
    Would the first cases not have been around mental health issues and or alcohol that impact on doing the job correctly i.e a person with no insight and who is not willing to get any help.

I'd say the TC knew there would be a media circus around the first case. Things will soon die down and most hearings will get little more than a few paragraphs in the indo.
    I reckon they knew she was going to disengage and there would be no fireworks for the media to feast on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I'd say the TC knew there would be a media circus around the first case. Things will soon die down and most hearings will get little more than a few paragraphs in the indo.
    I reckon they knew she was going to disengage and there would be no fireworks for the media to feast on.

The Indo and times have taken to publishing whole school reports for the past two weeks. They even dedicated one article to a particular school in Dublin that got a terrible one. There is a concerted effort by the media to inflame attitudes towards teachers for the past two weeks and I don't think it has happened by chance.

Advertisement