Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Fitness

Options
  • 08-11-2017 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

So relapsed mountain biker here looking to get fitness back and struggling.

Been about 4/5 years since I have been on the bike but looking to get back on the horse. Hoping to get ready for the biking blitz series in the new year but I feel way off the mark for that!

Atm I am just commuting to work 13k each way but am struggling. Legs feeling hollow and struggling to spin the big gears. The commute is pretty flag and any hills and I am struggling. This is all coming as a bit of a shock, only my third week back but I thought that I'd start to see improvements!

I think there's a case of MTFU at play here - I reckon I though this would be a lot easier to get back into!

So anyone got any suggestions on how to get fitness back on the commute as this is realistically the best opportunity for me to build fitness back up?

Have never really followed a scientific approach to cycling - just got out and rode. I am wondering if intervals or similar might be a good approach? Perhaps a longer group ride at the weekend? What are the alternatives!

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Moved to main forum, as it's not really a log...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 soghluaiste

I had a similar experience when I started back cycling more regularly about a year ago. A tip that I picked up from a cycling magazine was actually not to try to commute every single day initially but to take the occasional rest day to allow the body to recover/recharge. Taking the pressure off and not cycling on Fridays for a while helped me get fitter and enjoy being back on the bike more. That was my experience anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Join youre local MTB club,the bit of craic will take youre mind off the pain and fitness and skills will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I think it took me 2-3 months for my legs to get used to the commute. For many a week by Friday I was feeling it. Now I don't even notice it. Stick with it would be my recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

What kind of shape is the bike in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

case of MTFU

I just bought a case load of MTFU on wiggle. Expensive but easier than the alternative sources. 3 sachets a day and I'm flying up hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭comanche_cor

What kind of shape is the bike in?

Its a Giant TCR, its not in rag order, could do with some TLC but is not rough. Though I have been mean to give the chain set a bit of a clean up.

flatface wrote: »
    I just bought a case load of MTFU on wiggle. Expensive but easier than the alternative sources. 3 sachets a day and I'm flying up hills.

Tis great stuff altogether! ...

Cheers for the advise all - few things to keep on board. Will keep and it and see where I get to! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i found when i was getting fit again - and to this day - my fitness comes in fits (pun unintended) and starts. as mentioned above, if you're doing 5 days a week from a standing start, you're not giving yourself much recovery time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

As others have said, rest is as important as exercise. Try cycling to work Monday, Wednesday and Friday until that becomes easy and then you can move to cycling Monday/Tuesday and Thursday/ Friday with Wednesday as the rest day. My commute to work is an 80km round trip and even though I'm now pretty fit, I couldn't and wouldn't do that every day as the mental burnout would be as bad as the physical one. Best of luck

Advertisement