Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Churchfield Industrial Estate Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Difficult one, but I can understand the locals point of view, I'm not sure I'd like to live near such a facility. We probably should have many more incinerators around the country to deal with our waste issues. We haven't really figured out how to deal with waste. I was in a greenstar facility a couple of years ago, very impressive operation, but there was a smell from it in the local area, even with all the levels of control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Difficult one, but I can understand the locals point of view, I'm not sure I'd like to live near such a facility. We probably should have many more incinerators around the country to deal with our waste issues. We haven't really figured out how to deal with waste. I was in a greenstar facility a couple of years ago, very impressive operation, but there was a smell from it in the local area, even with all the levels of control.

I'm the same, i can see their point to be honest.

I grew up in that area ever before there was a dump there, so like the majority of the residents i know the before and after experiences.

The incinerator proposed for Ringaskiddy is facing huge objections.

Yes the Greenstar facility i was in also was quite good,however as you point out there was still a smell from it in the immediate area.

The site in Bottlehill Co.Cork cost millions and was left empty.

The residents from Churchfield and the neighbouring area's are NIMBY's and in this case rightly so as it is in the middle of a heavily built up residential area, the Greenstar facility i worked in for example is surrounded by commercial properties and less than half a dozen hours about 1-2 miles away at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

You want an incinerator instead of a recycling centre! No, no no!
    I assume you know how serious the air pollutiion caused is and the associated health risks. There is also the problem of hundreds of tonnes of toxic ash to deal with.
    Dublin incinerator had a serious leak of toxic chemical recently.

Our levels of recycling are not good enough - despite what I hear the usual suspects claiming on the radio and TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

You want an incinerator instead of a recycling centre! No, no no!
    I assume you know how serious the air pollutiion caused is and the associated health risks. There is also the problem of hundreds of tonnes of toxic ash to deal with.
    Dublin incinerator had a serious leak of toxic chemical recently.

Our levels of recycling are not good enough - despite what I hear the usual suspects claiming on the radio and TV.

ive spent 5 years of my life studying environmental issues in some of our finest educational institutions, being thought by probably some of our best environmental experts, id like to think i learned something. theres some serious bull**** out there regarding waste and waste management. we need to address this in order to move forward

ive spent 5 years of my life studying environmental issues in some of our finest educational institutions, being thought by probably some of our best environmental experts, id like to think i learned something. theres some serious bull**** out there regarding waste and waste management. we need to address this in order to move forward

5 years :eek: you know quite a bit so.

Is it recommended in legislation to allow these facilities to be set up in residential area's going forward?

I know nothing of the regulations surrounding it bar what i know from my time working in it.

Even the bottlehill fiasco is a scandal in its own right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Incinerators are a last resort , not the first.

Advertisement