Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Base around base of tree with flowers

Options
  • 08-11-2017 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a big, old cooking apple tree in my garden. I am thinking of building a box around the base with railway sleepers, filling with topsoil / compost and planting some flowers. I've searched online and the advice seems to be against this to protect the tree, however I've seen loads of videos on how to build such a base. Just wondering if anyone would advise for/against. Some of the roots of the tree are partly protruding also if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
    Loire.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Raising the soil level above the current tree base will most ofren kill the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd have thought a donut shaped box would be fine, provided that there is plenty of clearance around the base of the trunk.

Not sure why you wouldn't just plant flowers in the ground though, given the amount of effort and/or risk to the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

An old apple tree will have developed a feeder root system that can extend out beyond the drip line of the crown. This feeder root system is in and around the top 5mm or so of the soil, so any additional soil/compost of any depth on top of it will damage this root system.

Usually, and I dispair when I see this, the tree is boxed off and a foot or so of soil put into the box and planted up. This will damage the bark in a number of ways at the base of the stem, eventually ringbarking the tree.

You could plant a few ground cover plants or shrubs of your choice around the tree to show off the tree and maby even to plant a climbing rose next to it and train it into the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Did a quick image search and this picture gives a general idea about the feeder root system:

Figure-2-Tree-Roots.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The answer is just to build an inner protection in your planting box though, to protect the bark. So, a gap between the trunk and the planter. Not impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

pwurple wrote: »
    The answer is just to build an inner protection in your planting box though, to protect the bark. So, a gap between the trunk and the planter. Not impossible.

It's not the bark that needs protecting. If the anchor and feeder roots of many trees have soil piled on top of them after they have become established then the tree will suffer greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

It's not the bark that needs protecting. If the anchor and feeder roots of many trees have soil piled on top of them after they have become established then the tree will suffer greatly.

I have been gardening in the area around established trees and found no ill effect on the trees in spite of adding new plants and wheel barrows full of old horse bedding and even at times cutting into the smaller roots of the trees where they have interfered with the new planting. Tree roots are fast growing and adapt to new situations so as long as the tree is healthy and damage to the roots is not too extreme I see no reason not to go ahead with the planting area suggested. It does sound like a good idea to not go too close to the bark with soil and I would be inclined just to use something like wood chips close to the tree and not to add too deep a layer of new soil. In nature fallen leaves every winter decay and build up to add extra soil over time so a small increase in soil depth would be in fitting with the conditions trees grow in naturally. The fact that some roots are showing might indicate the tree is not currently getting enough of a mulch of dead leaves in the winter to keep the roots where they belong (underground). The flowers you plant should also be ones that can cope with growing under the shade of trees eg. bluebells, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Thanks all. Gonna leave well enough alone - I've plenty other things that need doing anyways!!

Loire.

Advertisement