Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear EX6100 wifi range extender problem

Options
  • 08-11-2017 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭

I preface this query with an admission that I am a very unskilful PC / technology user...
    We have used the above Netgear EX6100 wifi range extender for a couple of years to bring wifi to the shed in the garden. It has worked well.
    However, my 1 year old Vodafone modem in the house stopped working and Vodafone's new modem arrived yesterday. All is well in the house but I can't get the PC in the shed to recognise the Extender. When I look at th wifi available it gives the new Modem 1234(for example), the old modem 6789-2GEXT and the various neigbours ones. Even though i have given the instruction 'forget' on the Wifi Settings (not sure that is the correct term), the old modem + extenson keeps appearing and the new modem appears - very weakly - but without the extension. I have tried inputting the new security Key digits and the old security key digits in to the old 2GEXT 'appearance' but to no avail. Is there some way of sorting this out? Thansk very much.
    I haven't tried Netgear Genie Smart Setup yet - it looks far too complicated :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

If it's too complicated to read manual you will have to pay a network engineer. Usually this is pretty simple, just set extender mode and use same security settings. You probably typed something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thanks but I checked over and over again that I was typing in the correct security key.

It's too annoying to debug/diagnose this on boards, just get someone to call around to your gaff - probably a 5 minute job.

Didn't mean to be annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You dont have to be technical to RTFM.
    http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX6100/EX6100_QSG_24sep2015.pdf

Open this link, follow the "Connect with WPS" procedure. You may need to do it with the extender IN THE HOUSE then move it outside.

• Advertisement

Didn't mean to be annoying!

Sorry I didn't mean you were annoying, rather debugging stuff like this remotely is!

Thanks anyway - I have sorted it - we had to go right back to the 3rd last modem when the extender was first used - luckily my son still had that security key saved on his phone.

On another note - I am on my 3rd or 4th Vodafone Huawei modem in the past 3 years - most recent one lasted 1 year - Nov 2016 to Nov 2017. This is an adult household; modem is on all the time; no-one messing with it. Is it normal that it would fail after only 1 year?

Advertisement