Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bins - Portlaoise

Options
  • 08-11-2017 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm moving house in a few weeks and I'm going to have to think about bin suppliers in my new place. It's been a while (I'm talking 7 years!) as the last 2 apartments I've lived in had bins included as part of the rent.

So.. for a single 1 person household who might only put a standard peddle-bin bag of rubbish out every 9/10 days, what's the best option in the area?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭mrs.doubt.fire

Good point. Seen as you dont have much household rubbish, maybe wheely bins are not a good idea due to the cost. But are you cooking/preparing meals in your new home ? If so, where do you put food waist/left overs ? Just wondering... :)
    The only other option I can see is to find out where your local dump is at, and you bring your household rubbish there once every 2 weeks or so. Thats what I do and to be honest, it's cheaper than paying for the wheely bins, but then again I live out the county and no wheely bin's in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Good point. Seen as you dont have much household rubbish, maybe wheely bins are not a good idea due to the cost. But are you cooking/preparing meals in your new home ? If so, where do you put food waist/left overs ? Just wondering... :)
    The only other option I can see is to find out where your local dump is at, and you bring your household rubbish there once every 2 weeks or so. Thats what I do and to be honest, it's cheaper than paying for the wheely bins, but then again I live out the county and no wheely bin's in my area.

Yea, maybe just bringing the bags to the dump is the better option really.

At the moment it all goes in a black bag which is then put into a shared bin for the block. There's no recycling/composting etc at all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

_Kaiser_ I'm much the same.
    I basically recycle the majority (once every whenever head to depot out Mountmellick Rd €4 per load)/use bottle banks as needed.
    Then for non recyclables, I've a key fob & go to landfill at same location twice a year perhaps.

http://www.laois.ie/departments/environment/waste-recycling/waste-disposal/landfill/

I couldn't justify the expense of a contractor as I mostly live alone, grown up children merely coming & going whenever.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I looked up the pricing for the dump and it seems very expensive as well? If I'm reading it right it's at least €15 a trip and you need to buy/rent a fob from them for €65 first as well?

I think what I'm going to do is drop the bags off at one of these every few weeks - there's definitely one en route to seeing my little fella, but I think they have one in Tallaght too which would work on my way to the office as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

If you can find a cheaper option go for it.
    I have my fob years and can't recall paying a once off fee.

I know I only go twice a year maybe, as I recycle a lot, it is mostly ashes in my rubbish bin which is heavy enough.
    But it still works out better than the usual contractor charges. I think I spent €35 already this year and might need to go again before mid December.

• Advertisement
Advertisement