Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

white shadows in scope

Options
  • 08-11-2017 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi All

I got a S&B hungarian scope recently.
    After mounting it to the rifle I notice that with any head movement I start seeing white shadows especially around the edge and also in the centre.
    I wasn't expecting this at all or perhaps this is to be expected from a €650 scope?

Adjusting the eye piece this gives a very clear image but any sort of head movement and I start seeing white shadows.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Try thoroughly cleaning both occulars with chamois tip and a high quality lense cleaner (you'll get both in any good photographic shop). Could just be a film on oil on either or both of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sounds like a parallax issue, but i cannot say for sure as i'm not 100% familiar with ""white shadows". Are you referring to a distortion of the sight picture on the edges in the form of blur? Is the same thing as the black shadowing you'd get from an eye relief issue?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭HW100S

extremetaz wrote: »
    Try thoroughly cleaning both occulars with chamois tip and a high quality lense cleaner (you'll get both in any good photographic shop). Could just be a film on oil on either or both of them.

Thanks for the response. The image is very clear once my head is exacly in the correct position but any slight deviation from that position causes both the left & right hand edge of the lens to blur. And also a spot in the middle. Its a new scope it should be clean but i'll give it a clean.
    I'm not used to better quality scopes, maybe this is normal operation?
    My old cheaper scope was not a good image wise but it didn't do this.

Cass wrote: »
    Sounds like a parallax issue, but i cannot say for sure as i'm not 100% familiar with ""white shadows". Are you referring to a distortion of the sight picture on the edges in the form of blur? Is the same thing as the black shadowing you'd get from an eye relief issue?

Exactly, distortion of the sight picture around the edge in the form of a blur. Now why didn't I think of wording like that instead of white shadow....:D

There is also a smal blur spot around the centre appearing with movement.

I doubt the scope has a fault, could it be down to the mounting?

At this point in time I will be returning the scope as its very frustrating to look through.

I have tried adjusting the eye piece, this produces a very clear image but does nothing for the blur due to movement.

HW100S wrote: »
    I doubt the scope has a fault, could it be down to the mounting?.

Before returning i'd look at this first. Unless the scope is faulty it's most likely the cause.

Not being a dick as i don't know your situation but i've seen a lot of lads with either incorrectly mounted scopes causing them to push or pull the rifle from their shoulder to get clear sight picture or they don't have the parallax set correctly.

Now with some scopes, and i mention it because it's S&B fixed power are included, parallax cannot be adjusted much or at all as it's set.

A quick test is this. Set the rifle into a rest or locked position that it cannot move. Without touching the rifle/scope move your eye towards and away from the scope. If the "blurring" disappears at any point try mark the spot on the rifle stock where your eye is or if someone is with you measure from the eye to the scope. This is your eye relief.

Now shoulder the rifle. Close your eye(s) and get comfortable. Open your eye(s) and without moving a millimetre have the spot on your stock marked where your eye is or have the other person measure your eye relief.

If the measurements from both positions are not the same (within a small margin of error for imperfect measuring) then there is your problem. This should be corrected with positioning further away or closer to you.

Try this before doing anything else.

Also is the scope fixed power or variable power?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the very detailed response, much appreciated.
    Firstly, the scope is fixed power 8x56. The only adjustment is the eyepiece ring which makes the image sharp.
    I Will try what you suggested. I am happy with how the scope is mounted but carrying out your test is a good idea. I spent quite a bit of time setting it, getting the eye relief correct etc but no harm in checking again.
    It is possible to get a full very clear sight image once I put my head in the same comfortable position each time. The issue is if I deviate very slightly left/right or up/down, which will be the case in a hunting situation, the blur appears around the edge. So, it's a parallax issue, just how to get rid of it is the problem.
    I will report back when I get a friend to help check the eye relief.
    thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Do you where glasses ?

HW100S wrote: »
    Firstly, the scope is fixed power 8x56. The only adjustment is the eyepiece ring which makes the image sharp.
    All fixed powered scopes have a parallax free setting of usually 100 yards (there are variances but it's usually 100). So there is no parallax adjustment other than the eye relief adjustment which doesn't actually affect parallax but more so target picture/reticle clarity.

So a few things.
    1. Have you got the eye relief adjustment all the way or most of the way out or in?
    2. Are you sure of your scope placement (mounting for eye relief)?
    3. Does the crosshair move when you move your eye within the ocular lens? (while the rifle is clamped?)
    4. Is the scope new or second hand?
    5. What is your cheek weld like?
    6. Are you having sight picture or reticle clarity issues?
    The issue is if I deviate very slightly left/right or up/down, which will be the case in a hunting situation, the blur appears around the edge.
    This actually answers a few of the above, but no harm to ask/answer anyway.

This would suggest the scope and cheek weld are right. The blurring when slight movement occurs would suggest, without being able to see anything, that the ocular adjustment may be at such an "extreme" setting that the slightest movement will cause imperfect sight picture.

I'd also suggest trying to scope/sight a target at around the 100 yard mark, without going over that distance or coming too close. Run the eye adjustment all the way in, and start from scratch with small adjustments while in your shooting position. Quarter turns at most and slowly.

Don't focus on the reticle too much or the target picture and every full turn or so come away from the scope for a little to rest your eye. When you get the right setting you should have sharp reticle and clear target picture. The reticle should not move when you move your head/eye and you should have a small amount of movement without causing too much or any blurring.
    So, it's a parallax issue, just how to get rid of it is the problem.
    One thing i'll say and hopefully someone can elaborate. I don't have huge experience with that scope (owned one for about 2 months) so perhaps this is the "norm" for that scope. IOW it works when things are perfect but may not be what you'reused to. IOW there may be no issue to resolve other than you not clicking with the scope.

Sorry to be so vague at times, but it's hard to diagnose some things without actually seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Just to pick up on one of Cass's points : Cheek Weld.

It's a 8 x 56, was your previous scope a smaller objective lense?. If so did you get new mounts?, if so again, are they 'High mounts to accommodate the larger scope?.

What you may be experiencing is a poor cheek weld due to a higher mounted scope and your not getting a consistent or proper image through the scope. How is your grouping is it tight or has it opened up some what compared to your other set up.

If the above is the issue a comb riser may help.

So, hello everybody again.

Just a quick update.

I got a friend to look through my scope and set up. His first impressions were that he didnt like the scope image. He described it as being etremely sensitive to head movement. He confirmed he could see all the things I could see and said he wouldnt be happy with the performance.

I got onto the shop where I purchased and explained the situation. The owner, being the professional business man he is, immediately said to come in and check another S&B scope. He also offered some alternative scopes if I still wasnt happy.

This morning I went in and mounted another S&B 8x56 HUngarian and it is very different. Yes, it's' a little sensitive to head movement but no where close to the other one. Also the slight misty spot is not appearing in the centre.

So, I am now at home with my new scope and happy to have it.

Was the other scope faulty? I don't know. Maybe it just didnt suit my eyes. It might suit someone else. However, I did note that the new scope is from a new batch that had recently come into the shop. The first one was from an older batch.

I'd just like to say thanks for all the contributions and opinions, much appreciated.

• Advertisement

One of the few things we rarely consider. The scope is not broken, it simply doesn't suit.

Glad you got sorted.

Advertisement