Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replaced 63A fuse box (both storage heaters not working)

Options
  • 08-11-2017 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi
    I had an electrician replace the '63A fuse box' a few months ago.   Last weekend was my first time to turn on the storage heaters since then, but both arent working (no red power light during nighttime, night rate electricity).  I thought it unusual that both stopped working at the same time.

Would anyone here know if theres any connection between replacing the 63A fuse box and storage heaters?

I haven't checked with the electrician yet as if the these are unrelated then I'd have to pay a callout charge.

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

If this is the main consumer unit for the house (guessing?), typically there is a contractor / relay in it to take the signal from the meter that night rate is active, which in turn activates the storage heaters.
    So replacing the consumer unit could well have interrupted that. Perhaps the electrician didn't fit the contractor or something like that - want to stick up a photo?

As another troubleshooting step, are there fused spur outlets beside the storage haters - are they all switched on? Any other thermostats or controls that might be preventing things from working?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Dardania wrote: »
    If this is the main consumer unit for the house (guessing?), typically there is a contractor / relay in it to take the signal from the meter that night rate is active, which in turn activates the storage heaters.

Correct, if memory serves me correctly the ESB time clock provides a dry contact to the distribution board which can be used to energise contactor(s) that supply the storage heaters (and presumably the red light the OP referred to).

Most likely a quick simple fix for the electrician.

Advertisement