Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi App in Dublin. Which one?

Options
  • 08-11-2017 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone, I didn't find any recent thread so...

Have you recently tried the different taxi's app (mytaxi, NRC Taxis, Lynk....) in Dublin?

I've read many complaints on mytaxi, but not many infos on the others...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Are you doing market research or looking for advice?

MyTaxi would be the most used taxi app in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nopineapple

just moved to Dublin and I was wondering which to use... because the other night I had to fight for a taxi in st. Stephens :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

mytaxi is the most popular taxi app in Ireland.

Personally I dont think its as good as its predecessor Hailo but not much can be done about it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

MyTaxi has recently started to have lots of problems, with cancellations becoming common. I've actually being using Uber more as a result, and it has been great so far. I am not sure how useful it would be outside the city centre area though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 nopineapple

Tnx guys for the feedback... will probably give a try with MyTaxi and Uber. And what about the prices? They are all similar, or some services are way more expansive than others?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

And what about the prices? They are all similar, or some services are way more expansive than others?

They'd all be pretty similar. Taxi's are regulated in Ireland and your journey will be metered. A €2 booking fee is added with any taxi booked via an app.

Surprised you had trouble getting a taxi around St. Stephen's green though! Dublin is usually full of taxis; I'd rarely use the app in city centre.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Some night around Christmas it can be very hard to get a taxi in town, even with the amount.

When it's that busy though, you won't get one even with an app. That's my experience anyway,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

MyTaxi all they way. But, as others have mentioned - it was far superior when it was Hailo.

I've never seen or heard of anybody use any of the other apps, and most taxi drivers are plugged in to MyTaxi.

In terms of cost, when it was Hailo, it was the same cost as hailing a taxi on the street. However, as MyTaxi, they've gone down the road of adding a €2 surcharge pretending that they legally have to (BS). So there is room now for uber or another app to come in and take over (hell, somebody could just set up the same business model/app as Hailo and steal back all the customers!)

The problem with uber at the moment is very few taxis seem to be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I generally use MyTaxi but can find it hard getting one - if so I then go and use Lynx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

....... wrote: »
    I'm not sure... you probably can but I'm not sure they'd be able to guarantee that the taxi driver would take cards. I don't know anyone that carries cash these days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

....... wrote: »
    I used to always just phone the local taxi firm for early morning bookings and they were great. Then about two years ago a booking I made failed to produce a taxi. Every time I called the firm they said one was on its way, but none materialised and I almost missed my flight. It turned out the the local taxi firm were now just punching bookings into Hailo. In this instance Hailo kept dropping the bookings but didn't have my number to notify me and the taxi dispatcher wasn't watching it happening, they just booked another cab on Hailo every time I rang them. I took it that this was the end of just booking through the local firm.

I ended up hailing a cab on the road that day and my driver said that my experience wasn't unusal. He recommended Lynk over Hailo as it's closer to a normal taxi firm: there is a real person you can ring if there's a problem. I've used it ever since and it's never let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

It's getting harder and harder to get a taxi after a weekend night out in town. However a lot of drivers will turn the apps off at peak times as they don't need them (why bother paying commission when they can just pick up a cash job on the street). So if it's 3am and you're hoping to beat the queues or the crowds walking out of town looking for a taxi, you're unlikely to have much better luck using an app.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

It coming up to the time of year where you won't be able to get a taxi. Last year I had to drive in to collect my mam and her friend from her Christmas party as there wasn't a free taxi about, droves of people walking from town outbound towards Harold's Cross, Drumcondra, etc... all trying to flag down cars.

Advertisement