Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition year

Options
  • 08-11-2017 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭

Could someone tell me. In a transition program that involved two job sampling periods and the pupils are told one of them has to be a charity, dose the transition year coordinator realise that for a lot of positions in the charity sector the pupil will need garda clearance and does the school organise this for them?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

Surely it would be best to contact the coordinator in question as we don't know what they do/don't know. Not trying to be smart but no-one here can answer on that coordinator's behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Is it not just filling out a basic form from the garda station? Why couldn't the student do that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Because it can take up to 12 weeks to get garda clearance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The pupils seem to just told contact charities to ask for a work placement I was wondering in general what input the transition coordinator has in preparing the pupils such as organising garda clearance for them. It is not just one school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

How could he organise it ?

Drive to the garda station for them ? Bring them back a form?

He can't speed up the process because he's a teacher .

I guess he hopes they'll get a place at a charity where they don't need garda clearance.

If 100% of the charity places need garda clearance then he'll have to wait 12 weeks or change his charity idea.

• Advertisement

The whole point of transition year is that the pupil takes responsibility for himself and gets up off his rear and organises himself ....

Double post sorry

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It's probably social work, which most schools do in TY. We have a week of social work every year and have never had an issue with garda clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

mariaalice wrote: »
    The pupils seem to just told contact charities to ask for a work placement I was wondering in general what input the transition coordinator has in preparing the pupils such as organising garda clearance for them. It is not just one school.

TYs aren't a special case. If you go working for a voluntary organisation you will have to get Garda vetting too.

I am a TY coordinator and work in an ETB school. We decided to get all of our TYs Garda vetted to save the hassle of them coming back one by one requesting it.

But like the first reply said, it's pointless asking here on this forum, contact the TY coordinator of your child's school. They will be able to give you the answer.

... If you child wants to do work experience in a primary school, leisure centre, creche, they will not be let through the door without Garda vetting. This is where we are today.

Advertisement