Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No display on new pc

Options
  • 08-11-2017 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hey guys,

So just built a pc and having issues seeing any display despite pc starting up. It's not my monitor as tried a different one and my current pc works. I've also made sure to try dvi + hdmi on both gpu and on board. I've made sure everything was in correctly and tightly. Re-sitted the ram, tried gpu in different slot and I don't know what to do next.

The thermal compound that I bought had a little paper template that I didn't use as I only saw it after applied. Also there's two cables not plugged into anything that I'm not sure what they're for, although they plug into each other and have no markings. https://imgur.com/gallery/y4HBj

So everything I have plugged in is cpu pin to mobo, pcie to gpu, 24 pin to mobo, power sw to mobo and hdd to mobo. Am I missing anything or does anybody have an idea what the issue is? I'd really appreciate if anybody could help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Note, ORIGINAL THREAD: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105135826

Its powering on, but is it POSTing? Sounds like no.

The Z370 Pro 4 board doesnt have an LCD post code output so if you've connected the buzzer you should be getting beeps. Start there and refer to the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Hello447

What do you mean by connecting the buzzer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Remove GPU and see if it boots with onboard graphics.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I actually tried removing the gpu already and the same thing happened

Try with a single stick of ram. Then with the other stick.

Other things to try include using the PSU from your old machine. Or taking everything out of the case and putting it on a big piece of cardboard and seeing if it will boot like that (is there a power switch on the mb?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Hello447 wrote: »
    What do you mean by connecting the buzzer?

I guess he means the speaker. You need to hear the Post beeps.

I tried with one stick of ram, two sticks in different slots then with none and still the same issue. I also don't have a speaker wire unless that's one of the ones in the image above that have no label on them? Also don't think there's power switch on mobo

I tried with one stick of ram, two sticks in different slots then with none and still the same issue. I also don't have a speaker wire unless that's one of the ones in the image above that have no label on them? Also don't think there's power switch on mobo

I’d try your other PSU first. Then ty on a piece of cardboard with the bare minimum - one stick of ram, no GPU, no HDD. You can connect the power switch from your case if you have no switch.

I agree with the posts above that you need to connect a speaker to hear any POST errors.

Btw the link to your images doesn’t open for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

Re-seat the CPU and motherboard power. Remove the GPU and make sure monitor cable is connected to motherboard graphics. Leave only 1 stick of ram.

If it's still not showing any display try another PSU like the above posters suggested.

I've since sold the old pc so I can no longer use any of the parts from testing.

I've removed the gpu and tried the on board graphics and it's not worked either. I'm probably been stupid but I'm not sure what you mean by connecting a speaker to the motherboard. The only case wires I have currently in there is a power sw and a hdd light one - Should there be another?

• Advertisement

I've since sold the old pc so I can no longer use any of the parts from testing.

I've removed the gpu and tried the on board graphics and it's not worked either. I'm probably been stupid but I'm not sure what you mean by connecting a speaker to the motherboard. The only case wires I have currently in there is a power sw and a hdd light one - Should there be another?

The audio speaker from the case. If there is an error it will beep a number of times and you can look up the code in the manual to see what the problem is.

I looked up the manual for the case but there is no mention of the front panel cables. Can you post a photo?

One thing though, the manual says a short press of the power button cycles the LED colours. You need a longer press to turn it on. Has it actually started the PC? Are the case and CPU fans running?

Actually, maybe the case has no speaker. Can you plug headphones in and see if it beeps on startup?

So I plugged in my headphones and couldn't hear any beeping either. The PC starts and cpu fan, case fan and gpu light up and stat spinning but no mobo lights on. When I press the power button for longer it just starts up and then turns back off.

These are the two wires that's not connected. They originally came together so maybe that's the issue? https://gyazo.com/e923bc0862938b666ec6b0b3c077acd0 https://gyazo.com/eb49006a0b8f1503e6691c8017f31f72 https://gyazo.com/6e66825fd4daa83a377c10260ed525ac - The other two in the background seem like an led one and for cpu fan and floppy disk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

What mobo is it?

Z370 Pro 4

Try resetting the CMOS by shorting the jumper on the board. Instructions are in the manual.

If you have tried it outside the case on a piece of cardboard and it’s still not booting then I’d say the board may be dead on arrival. Not sure there is much else you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I suspect the CPU is not quite sitting correctly in its socket.

I would disassemble the fan/heatsink, and take out the CPU carefully and after checking for damage return it very carefully and re-assemble.

Test again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Boot Beep
    Select whether the Boot Beep should be turned on or off when the system boots up. Please
    note that a buzzer is needed.

Item number 15 on the manual is the power LED and speaker header. You should have received a buzzer to go on this (if you didnt, wow they've gone cheap).

$_35.JPG

The Beeps are only ever issued through this, not the sound card. Connecting headphones is a futile endeavour.

This is the core of HW diagnostics, no point faffing around until trying this.

Advertisement