Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did I make mistake :(

Options
  • 08-11-2017 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

My last work commute bike 3 years ago was a cheap 200 euro crazy heavy tank of a bike, god knows after I bought it I googled it and failed to find it , it did me OK but it's starting to show its age badly .

So anyway I had a mad moment yesterday when going to collect my new cheap cube mountain bike and decided I'm never going to go off road and ended up buying a merida urban crossway 100.

https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/trekking-city/city/2018/crossway-urban-100-9424.html

My work buddy thinks I'm mad , why the hell would you buy such a bike .

Not sure I've made right choice myself , I've got that sick feeling in my stomach I've made a mistake, even tho I do cycle to work everyday and go long way home every night to get my daily exercise in .

I'm going to put panier sets on and shops fitting custom mud guards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,770 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/trekking-city/city/2018/crossway-urban-100-9424.html

My work buddy thinks I'm mad , why the hell would you buy such a bike .

What does your work buddy have against it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

It’s not the lightest bike ever, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

If you feel happy and comfortable on it, it’s the right bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

You commute and you bought a commute bike , what does your buddy know about bikes that has him questioning your apparent correct choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Do you like it? If so then what's the problem? Don't mind your work buddy.

Nothing wrong with a Merida and it's built for commuting. I reckon you'll love it - especially if your previous bike was heavier and less nimble. Nothing like a new bike to put you in good humour :)

Jesus, I know people who've spent upwards of €70,000 on a metal box to commute what could be a lesser distance than you. But that's their bag and while I think it's crazy, they don't and are happy out so best of luck to them.

EDIT: If only you asked here first. We could have helped you spend lots more of your money :D

EDIT2: Did you get the yellow or black?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It actually looks like a very nice bike and it suits your needs totally. It’ll be lighter and faster and probably more comfortable than your last bike so I can’t see how it can be a mistake.

Ride her on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Enjoy your purchase. Remember the bike calculation n + 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Meh, each to their own. If it’s a comfortable bike and suits your commute, then enjoy!

I rode a hand-me-down Dawes mountain bike into town for years, loved it, never thought I’d be on a road bike. Then I had a “moment of madness” and bought one off a colleague.

Recently started noticing more disc brakes on road bikes and people riding carbon on their commute. Thought that’s a bit weird, but ok. Then I found this flat barred, carbon bike with disc brakes and I’m close to having another mad moment.

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/fitness/roadlite/roadlite-cf-7-0.html

Please talk me out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Massive mistake.

Never get involved in a land war in Asia, and never do research post-purchase online :)

Danbo! wrote: »

No.

It would be against the unofficial charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Pretty cool looking bike! I fail to see the problem with it other than the weight, which really isn't a significant problem for commuting unless on a hilly route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

crosstownk wrote: »
    Do you like it? If so then what's the problem? Don't mind your work buddy.

Nothing wrong with a Merida and it's built for commuting. I reckon you'll love it - especially if your previous bike was heavier and less nimble. Nothing like a new bike to put you in good humour :)

Jesus, I know people who've spent upwards of €70,000 on a metal box to commute what could be a lesser distance than you. But that's their bag and while I think it's crazy, they don't and are happy out so best of luck to them.

EDIT: If only you asked here first. We could have helped you spend lots more of your money :D

EDIT2: Did you get the yellow or black?

Black one , The yellow looked a bit yuck!!!

Black one , The yellow looked a bit yuck!!!

Then maybe you did make a mistake :D I prefer the yellow one :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the bicycle is the greatest invention humanity has ever made, and there's no such thing as a bad one.
    anyone disagreeing, we can arm-wrestle to determine who's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

This is the question you ask after marriage, not a bike purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Enjoy your purchase. Remember the bike calculation n + 1.

I don't get that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I wouldn't call 12 kg excessively heavy.
    If I had something like that I wouldn't have got caught in luas tracks with a bus behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I don't get that?

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Number 12 ;)

Had a 30km spin on a very similar speced/weight bike a few weeks ago when I was visiting family, saw it sitting there and said to hell with it asked if I could borrow it and off I went :D

Was not a terrible experience over that distance and some rolling roads, though my arse was a bit sore as I did it in jeans :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Thanks for your views .

I couldn't help thinking it was pointless buying a mountain bike to mainly cycle to work on about 95% of the time on nobbly tyres , then buying a ruck sack to put my gear into .

Seemed all wrong , plus I was thinking of doing a Mizen to Malin Head sometime in future.

I feel a good bit better now with all your comments , thank you.

I do own a road bike as well I might add but a lot of the routes I like to go on are quite beaten up , that's why I did have a mountain bike in my head, this bike will more than be able to cope with that terrain. Can I ask do you think if I bought some good grippy tyres it would help with the odd bit of off road, ....nothing to serious now ... Just tracks .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

Thanks for your views .

I couldn't help thinking it was pointless buying a mountain bike to mainly cycle to work on about 95% of the time on nobbly tyres , then buying a ruck sack to put my gear into .

Seemed all wrong , plus I was thinking of doing a Mizen to Malin Head sometime in future.

I do own a road bike as well I might add but a lot of the routes I like to go on are quite beaten up , that's why I did have a mountain bike in my head, this bike will more than be able to cope with that terrain. Can I ask do you think if I bought some good grippy tyres it would help with the odd bit of off road, ....nothing to serious now ... Just tracks .

N + 1 rule comes into play ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Thanks for your views .

I'll judge it for the uncool kickstand but otherwise it's grand. Enjoy your bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Remove kickstand. Add panniers and it's a great everyday commuter bike. I'd be happy to have it as such tbh. Might even get some touring done with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭plodder

Not sure I've made right choice myself , I've got that sick feeling in my stomach I've made a mistake,
    Don't worry. It's a recognised thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

...I found this flat barred, carbon bike with disc brakes and I’m close to having another mad moment.

NO.

Buy it, tell everyone how good it is and convince others to buy the same (or similar) bike.

This increases the number of people who cycle which increases the number of people who when driving give cyclists more room for overtaking which reduces cycling fatalities which reduces the fear factor for other potential cyclists which leads to more cyclists and so on.
    The whole thing spirals on and Ireland becomes the most friendliest country for cycling and has the leanest, fittest population with the least amount of money spent on health care per person, the lowest greenhouse emissions from cars because most journeys are made by bike

Butterfly effect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

mp31 wrote: »
    NO.

Butterfly effect!

Another butterfly to pull the wings off...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

mp31 wrote: »
    NO.

Buy it, tell everyone how good it is and convince others to buy the same (or similar) bike.

This increases the number of people who cycle which increases the number of people who when driving give cyclists more room for overtaking which reduces cycling fatalities which reduces the fear factor for other potential cyclists which leads to more cyclists and so on.
    The whole thing spirals on and Ireland becomes the most friendliest country for cycling and has the leanest, fittest population with the least amount of money spent on health care per person, the lowest greenhouse emissions from cars because most journeys are made by bike

Butterfly effect!

I just like the mint colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Remove kickstand.
    Why? I didn't one for years, but since it came as standard on my Scott commuter, I find myself using it all the time - just a bit safer than lying it against the nearest wall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Nothing wrong with that. Wear out the wheels and then upgrade them maybe (maybe with a Dynamo hubbed front) then you'll have a bike for so many situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

Jesus that's a lovely bike!!!

Meh, each to their own. If it’s a comfortable bike and suits your commute, then enjoy!

I rode a hand-me-down Dawes mountain bike into town for years, loved it, never thought I’d be on a road bike. Then I had a “moment of madness” and bought one off a colleague.

Recently started noticing more disc brakes on road bikes and people riding carbon on their commute. Thought that’s a bit weird, but ok. Then I found this flat barred, carbon bike with disc brakes and I’m close to having another mad moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

There is literally no point having a mountain bike that you will never use off road .
    This bike is a great commuter and can do a good long spin if you want. opens up a lot of possibility's.
    no regrets here.

Advertisement