Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did I make mistake :(

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

Great commuting bike you got there, wish you the best with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

Well Monkeysnapper did you get out on new steed yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

secman wrote: »
    Well Monkeysnapper did you get out on new steed yet ?

No unfortunately, shop has ordered the proper mud guards and putting on panier rack on back .

Just a point, Im 42 and I've always had cheap second hand bikes , last year I spent 1200 on a new merida ride

https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/road-fitness/road-comfort/2017/ride-400-6610.html

And this year buying this... My wife thinks I'm having a mid life crisis . I might also add I'm a Kean cyclist, I've done a few tours ever , once I cycled from Kerry to mid wales and back on a old mountain bike with paniers and camped it every night.

I'd still love to get a mountain bike , I'll have my cycle to work back end of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

No unfortunately, shop has ordered the proper mud guards and putting on panier rack on back .

Just a point, Im 42 and I've always had cheap second hand bikes , last year I spent 1200 on a new merida ride

https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/road-fitness/road-comfort/2017/ride-400-6610.html

And this year buying this... My wife thinks I'm having a mid life crisis . I might also add I'm a Kean cyclist, I've done a few tours ever , once I cycled from Kerry to mid wales and back on a old mountain bike with paniers and camped it every night.

I'd still love to get a mountain bike , I'll have my cycle to work back end of next year.

Sure you're only a nipper, I was 60 this year and treated myself to 2 new bikes , a trek emonda sl6 pro and a planet x pro carbon. Now have 4 bikes in the stable. I'm more into ranges of spins from 40km to 100km. Enjoy the new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

the bicycle is the greatest invention humanity has ever made, and there's no such thing as a bad one.
    anyone disagreeing, we can arm-wrestle to determine who's right.

The only flaw here is cyclists are not known for their upper body strength, maybe some sort of leg wrestle may be a better plan :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

after repeatedly taking off and refitting a tyre in the last 24 hours, my arms are ready for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The only flaw here is cyclists are not known for their upper body strength, maybe some sort of leg wrestle may be a better plan :D

But sure that makes us equal :pac:
    after repeatedly taking off and refitting a tyre in the last 24 hours, my arms are ready for anything.

Or maybe just your thumbs. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i will thumb wrestle you into submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

From this:

"decided I'm never going to go off road"

To this in less than two pages:

"Can I ask do you think if I bought some good grippy tyres it would help with the odd bit of off road"

Priceless!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Looks like a perfect commuter bike.

Relax and enjoy your new bike.

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
     From this:

"decided I'm never going to go off road"

To this in less than two pages:

"Can I ask do you think if I bought some good grippy tyres it would help with the odd bit of off road"

Priceless!

Yeh and if you read more carefully you'd have seen even before I've received my new bike I even suggested that when I get my cycle to work scheme back end of next year I'd be buying a mountain bike!!! Typical, planning another bike before I'd received this one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

nice bike
    I got a merida hybrid back in 2010. still going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 13,770 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

My last work commute bike 3 years ago was a cheap 200 euro crazy heavy tank of a bike, god knows after I bought it I googled it and failed to find it , it did me OK but it's starting to show its age badly .

So anyway I had a mad moment yesterday when going to collect my new cheap cube mountain bike and decided I'm never going to go off road and ended up buying a merida urban crossway 100.

https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/trekking-city/city/2018/crossway-urban-100-9424.html

My work buddy thinks I'm mad , why the hell would you buy such a bike .

Not sure I've made right choice myself , I've got that sick feeling in my stomach I've made a mistake, even tho I do cycle to work everyday and go long way home every night to get my daily exercise in .

I'm going to put panier sets on and shops fitting custom mud guards.

That bike looks more like a hybrid than a mountain bike?

Just that you've referred to it as a mountain bike but I dont think you could take it on a forest downhill jumping stumps etc?

i think you misread the post, the reference to a mountain bike was to the bike not bought.

anyway, it's possible the OP did make a mistake, if (s)he bought the black version of the bike instead of the yellow one. yellow bikes ftw.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Thats an ideal bike for a work commute.
    It's a decent brand
    Good solid components and absolutely nothing wrong for it
    Good value too for that money
    I think you did well and bought a very good bike there

RobFowl wrote: »
    Thats an ideal bike for a work commute.
    It's a decent brand
    Good solid components and absolutely nothing wrong for it
    Good value too for that money
    I think you did well and bought a very good bike there

Thanks , I'm delighted now I decided to buy it.

I will get a mountain bike but that can wait .

My next purchase is going to be to upgrade my lights for night time riding .

If anybody has some advice there I'd be delighted . I was looking at the cateye volt 1200 , that seems good although I don't want to burn the eyes out of drivers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I used to commute on a giant defy 1 with Shimano 105.

You're using it everyday so be comfortable and get there fast

Seemed to take forever getting bike as they had to get proper mud guards , 3 times they came and were wrong .

Anyway as my two boys were getting bikes for Christmas it seemed a nice idea to ask my oldest (5) to write on his list if Santa could deliver a bike for dad as well .

Mud guards seem to be rubbing a bit , I've tried adjusting but seems a bit fiddly , I'm assuming once out and running it will work itself out.

I've also bought new lights for her . talk about spoiling myself this Christmas !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Mud guards seem to be rubbing a bit , I've tried adjusting but seems a bit fiddly , I'm assuming once out and running it will work itself out.

Very unlikely they will work out. Probably the opposite as you accumulate a bit of road muck.

Take the time to work out how to set them up properly and get them working with at least 5mm clearance in tight spots.

Post a photo of problem spots and you’ll get assistance here I’m sure. The front guard looks tight from photo.

• Advertisement

Update.......

I hated mudguards and pulled them both off , never seemed to fit properly ...

I love this bike and so delighted I bought it , I bought some vittoria Voyager hyper tyres from a fellow boardsie.

Some of the back roads around Kerry suit this bike perfectly and I've used this bike for group spins and kept up ok .

Last summer I did a few park spins with kids and kept picnic in panniers so all worked out well.

End of last winter I bought a 2nd hand mountain bike ... I totally agree that you should never try to buy a bike to do several different type of jobs ..... just keep buying more and more bikes ....worked for me .

Advertisement