Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Six 'super' stations for Ireland next year - Topaz

• 08-11-2017 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/six-super-stations-to-boost-our-electric-car-charge-network-36298622.html

Snippet.... "...up to six more high-power charging (HPC) stations will be built here next year. And each site will have up to six charge points."

Sounds promising and exactly what we need as long as they get the locations right.

I wonder was the extra funding in the budget connected to this somehow....
    "It says it is negotiating with "existing infrastructure initiatives, including those supported by the participating companies as well as political institutions"."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Saw it on FB. CCS only (the crowd behind it are the German car makers and Ford).

Also speculation that Tesla are trying to get the supercharger locations installed before CCS becomes mandatory some time in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭QuantumP

Spotted 8 Tesla Superchargers being installed in the M1 Southbound Castlebellingham service station today, couldn't believe my eyes, 8! :eek:

Anyone know where the other locations will be?

EDIT: Just noticed the Supercharger thread

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

n97 mini wrote: »
    Saw it on FB. CCS only (the crowd behind it are the German car makers and Ford).

Also speculation that Tesla are trying to get the supercharger locations installed before CCS becomes mandatory some time in the near future.

Yeah that's my speculation.

The relevant EU directive is 2014/94/EU.

Article 4 - Electricity supply for transport
    Member States shall ensure that high power recharging points for electric vehicles, excluding wireless or inductive units, deployed or renewed as from 18 November 2017, comply at least with the technical specifications set out in point 1.2 of Annex II.

The technical spec being
    Direct current (DC) high power recharging points for electric vehicles shall be equipped, for interoperability purposes, at least with connectors of the combined charging system ‘Combo 2’ as described in standard EN 62196-3.

It all hinges on the definition of publically accessible. As far as I can tell the directive hasn't been transposed into Irish law yet (we're nearly 1 year overdue).

In the UK (where we seem to copy half of our laws from) they defined publically accessible as
    (2) A recharging or refuelling point is accessible to the public if it is—
    (a) intended for use by members of the general public (including those situated in public car parks, whether or not those car parks are available only to consumers of specific goods or services); and
    (b) not intended for—
    (i) exclusive use in respect of a vehicle produced by a specific manufacturer;
    (ii) use by persons engaged in specific occupations;
    (iii) use by persons whilst at their place of employment (including visitors); or
    (iv) exclusive use by occupiers of, or visitors to, residential premises.

So Superchargers are allowed to be non-CCS so long as Tesla do not allow other manufacturers any access.
    In Germany they didn't provide the exemption for specific manufacturers.

These first proper Irish non-Tesla charging stations, if CCS only, definitely makes you question the sanity of Nissan sticking with CHAdeMO on the LEAF 2.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

samih wrote: »
    These first proper Irish non-Tesla charging stations, if CCS only, definitely makes you question the sanity of Nissan sticking with CHAdeMO on the LEAF 2.

They are justifying it by claiming CHAdeMO is necessary for vehicle to grid. Personally I believe they should of just made the Type2 Port into CCS, they would of had the best of both worlds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

n97 mini wrote: »

CCS only....perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    CCS only....perfect

Just becareful not to use more than 3 times in a row or warranty will be void :)

thierry14 wrote: »
    Just becareful not to use more than 3 times in a row or warranty will be void :)

What on earth are you talking about now?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Brand new Applegreen out near me in St. Margaret’s. Still under construction so I asked if they were puttin in chargers. Answer was no!

God damn you Fingal Council, it should be mandatory now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

CCS only....perfect
    They will be as idle as the superchargers , if not more so.
    I'd wager that at least 85% of EVs sold in Ireland are not CCS compatible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

kceire wrote: »
    Brand new Applegreen out near me in St. Margaret’s. Still under construction so I asked if they were puttin in chargers. Answer was no!

God damn you Fingal Council, it should be mandatory now!

Its flying up too, drive that way for work, surprised they decided against an EV point.

ELM327 wrote: »
    They will be as idle as the superchargers , if not more so.
    I'd wager that at least 85% of EVs sold in Ireland are not CCS compatible

40% of new cars this year. Renault plan to use CCS for future DC cars. Kia are switching to CCS. The German manufacturers and US are CCS. Even rumours of Tesla adding CCS in the EU. They are after all members of CharIn (the CCS group).

CCS is the DC standard in the EU and is capable of charging at 150kW with the current connector. Supposedly will handle 350kW with an actively cooled cable.

In the EU yes it is standard, but after 7 years of leaf sales dominating the market, until the Ioniq came this year anyway, the vast majority of EV on this island are chademo.
    That will change as CCS becomes the new standard by way of EU legislation.

You're right, Tesla are rumoured to add CCS to the M3 as they added GB/T in china which is the chinese DC standard.

I hope that the existing, predominately chademo, EV user base is not neglected in any future network expansion especially if it's publicly funded. Private networks can do what they like.

ELM327 wrote: »
    In the EU yes it is standard, but after 7 years of leaf sales dominating the market, until the Ioniq came this year anyway, the vast majority of EV on this island are chademo.
    That will change as CCS becomes the new standard by way of EU legislation.

You're right, Tesla are rumoured to add CCS to the M3 as they added GB/T in china which is the chinese DC standard.

I hope that the existing, predominately chademo, EV user base is not neglected in any future network expansion especially if it's publicly funded. Private networks can do what they like.

Leaf is sooooo 2011

Get with the times man....

CCS is the future.....soon the Leaf drivers will be the only ones trying to use that half arsed charging system ESB put in place:P

You leaf my leaf out of this!

For the moment I think any non manufacturer funded chargers will maintain CHAdeMO. It's doesn't cost much more to add the extra connector and it's going to be a couple of years before CCS accounts for more than 50% of the install base.

liamog wrote: »
    What on earth are you talking about now?

You cant use a fast charger more than 3 times in a row in an E-Golf, voids warranty

You cant use a fast charger more than 3 times in a row in an E-Golf, voids warranty

Huh did not know that, so no road trips over 600km without a break longer than a couple of hours then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Is that on the VW website? Do you have a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

I see other people quoting the VW manual on other sites so the above seems accurate.

Fairly handy out on the battery warranty from VW. Essentially means the battery warranty is non-transferable.

• Advertisement

Source? I never seen or heard of this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

if it's true it is ridiculous :D

Asked on the WW eGolf forum, see what the answer is :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

From the speak-ev forum, post was in 2015:

VOLKSWAGEN E-GOLF AND GTE EIGHT-YEAR BATTERY WARRANTY
    1. A guarantee for eight years or 99,360 miles/160,000km (whichever is soonest), on all material or manufacturing defects.
    2. Gradual reduction in battery capacity over times is integral to the nature of the component, and does not represent a defect under the terms of this guarantee, as long as the reduction in capacity is not in excess of the value specified for this vehicle in the owner’s manual.
    3. The guarantee on high voltage batteries does not apply if the defect has been caused
    by the battery not being used, handled or maintained as described in the owner’s manual. This applies in particular to charging the battery, such as not charging on the CSS (Rapid charge) function 3 times in a row. Please check the owner’s manual for more details.

Ask Paddy :)

Advertisement