Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University Limerick Controversy & Ed Walsh

• 08-11-2017 10:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35

Following todays revelations regarding the irregular and inappropriate mismanagement
    of payments and breaches of regulations, where is the former president Mr Ed Walsh now to comment. In my view Ed Walsh was paid too much for his role and his public opinions were overated and in hindsight a bit hyprocritical. In my view Ed was happy to recommend paycuts to certain sections of employment and try fool people with his ideas, despite the going ons in UL that happened as revealed today in the national and local media. Id like to know will Mr Walsh now explain why some or all of this carryon in University of Limerick happened and how he feels? Or indeed to explain what he thinks of his beloved UL now!!
    I think its time now for Mr Walsh the critic to come out of the bunker and give his opinion on the carryon at UL assuming Ed is not silenced with the going ons that went on in UL. I believe that some of the dogs in the street knew that there was strange going ons in UL with a long time, it was a well kept secret that has been finally busted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Have you some sort of vendetta against Ed Walsh? The "going ons" in UL happened under the tutelage of Don Barry, who has since resigned (I would think partly because of this). I'm not sure what you expect Ed Walsh to say here, obviously he will be disappointed but, ultimately, is not responsible for what happened at UL..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Have you some sort of vendetta against Ed Walsh? The "going ons" in UL happened under the tutelage of Don Barry, who has since resigned (I would think partly because of this). I'm not sure what you expect Ed Walsh to say here, obviously he will be disappointed but, ultimately, is not responsible for what happened at UL..

His 10 year term of office came to an end earlier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Ed Walsh retired as UL president 19 years ago.

What does he have to do with the current controversy? Why would you expect him to comment?

Seems pretty sad to start an account and use this to have a go at somebody that you clearly have a problem with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Viewpoint2 wrote: »
    In my view Ed Walsh was paid too much for his role and his public opinions were overated and in hindsight a bit hyprocritical.
    In my view Ed was happy to recommend paycuts to certain sections of employment and try fool people with his ideas, despite the going ons in UL that happened as revealed today in the national and local media.
    I believe that some of the dogs in the street knew that there was strange going ons in UL with a long time, it was a well kept secret that has been finally busted.

I believe in my view that you don't like Ed Walsh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Viewpoint2

You are obviously in my view on Ed Walsh side. Mr Walsh in my opinion was very quick to appear on tv and media programmes recommending paycuts for middle to low income earners in the public sector and in my viewpoint using his position as former president of ul to voice his weighted opinion. In my view that was wrong. The former president of UL where the wrongdoings went on should be ashamed of a educational instuition like UL that allowed such waste of money to happen. A lot of people knew it was a gravy train ie UL and probably knew it when Mr Walsh was on TV recommending paycuts to public servants with modest wages unlike his! Mr Walsh and his supporters ought to know that not only banks but now a University acted out of order and Mr Walsh should be now looking for heads at UL and going on TV but we wait in anticipation. Better if he did that than wrongly recommending paycuts to certain elements of irish employment to subsidise the gravy train of places like his UL!
    Put that in yer pipe and smoke it and stop defending a instution and Ed Walsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

You are obviously in my view on Ed Walsh side. Mr Walsh in my opinion was very quick to appear on tv and media programmes recommending paycuts for middle to low income earners in the public sector and in my viewpoint using his position as former president of ul to voice his weighted opinion. In my view that was wrong. The former president of UL where the wrongdoings went on should be ashamed of a educational instuition like UL that allowed such waste of money to happen. A lot of people knew it was a gravy train ie UL and probably knew it when Mr Walsh was on TV recommending paycuts to public servants with modest wages unlike his! Mr Walsh and his supporters ought to know that not only banks but now a University acted out of order and Mr Walsh should be now looking for heads at UL and going on TV but we wait in anticipation. Better if he did that than wrongly recommending paycuts to certain elements of irish employment to subsidise the gravy train of places like his UL!

Never even heard of Ed Walsh but the hatred you seem to have for this man and that institution is not healthy. Boards is not a shrink. Seek help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭BoardAtWork

Its Dr Walsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

This is pathetic. You created an account on boards.ie to air your obvious disdain for Dr. Walsh, and what exactly are you hoping to achieve? We all like to have a moan on here, but it's obvious you have some personal grievances with Dr. Walsh. If you were a middle-to-low income earner and were effected by pay cuts, then I sympathise with you, that was unfortunate. But Dr. Walsh was not the only one calling for these cuts, and certainly wasn't responsible. Regardless of all that, he has been gone from UL since 1998. Trying to associate him with these latest UL findings is fanciful at best.

Look its as simple as this banks in a big way broke this country and some had to be bailed out by the irish taxpayer as we all know. The issue now is University of Limerick whose role is to educate has set a very bad example and should hang its head in shame now like the banks! Dr Ed Walsh was so for cutting wages to low to middle income public servants who were already stretched. Its obvious he had a grudge against public servants but yet the University of Limerick wasted tax payers money and thats ok its probably still going on trips to here and there in the world, pay outs you name it. This in my view wasnt going on in the last week but over a number of decades or years maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Viewpoint2 wrote:
    Following todays revelations regarding the irregular and inappropriate mismanagement of payments and breaches of regulations, where is the former president Mr Ed Walsh now to comment. In my view Ed Walsh was paid too much for his role and his public opinions were overated and in hindsight a bit hyprocritical. In my view Ed was happy to recommend paycuts to certain sections of employment and try fool people with his ideas, despite the going ons in UL that happened as revealed today in the national and local media. Id like to know will Mr Walsh now explain why some or all of this carryon in University of Limerick happened and how he feels? Or indeed to explain what he thinks of his beloved UL now!! I think its time now for Mr Walsh the critic to come out of the bunker and give his opinion on the carryon at UL assuming Ed is not silenced with the going ons that went on in UL. I believe that some of the dogs in the street knew that there was strange going ons in UL with a long time, it was a well kept secret that has been finally busted.

These issues would not have arisen had Ed Walsh still been in control. He was known for having a, let's say, prudent approach to financial issues, in particular with regard to renumeration of staff. The fact remains that Limerick may never have had a university were it not for his unique vision, determination, hard work and ability.

• Advertisement

Its easy say that because was it not the top brass in UL in authority that got the big trips paid for to other parts of world, the big payouts, spa trestments etc? This was a culture and one that didnt spring up over night at UL but over years and years and decades. So did Dr Walsh and his likes that followed him have a blind eye towards it. Not good enough for a University to be carrying on like that and setting bad example to the students going there. Perhaps Limerick better without UL than a University having a party out of tax payers money but yet thinking they a step above public servants who Dr Walsh took his attack out on recommending paycuts to low and middle income workers. Would Dr Walsh agree now that it should be the entire management and board of UL who should now take paycuts for waste of their financial resources? I rest my case.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Did you really just use the phrase "I rest my case" after a rhetorical question? Step away from the keyboard before you embarrass yourself any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

What are your views on the Illuminati, poster?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Did Dr Walsh steal your puppy or something when you were a child??

The reality of the situation is that during the crash the government was paying out circa €17bn more than it was takin in.... you don't need to be a rocket scientist to realise that when u have a deficit like that (no matter what caused it) there will be massive spending cuts, including wages. I don't think Dr Walsh is responsible for the cuts!! He only said what anyone with common sense already knew!! The same think also happened in th private sector

Trying to link those comments from Dr Walsh to current events in UL is farcical!!

So some of ye think the sun shines from Ed Walsh. The truth hurts ye the fact is University of Limerick's misdoings have at long last hit the headlines and about time. I believe that the attempted defending of the wrongdoings and denial of it by both the University and the mob here supporting it is and was bizzare! I believe the University arrogantly tried to stop local papers etc revealing the secret and treated the whistleblowers quiet badly. More taxpayers money wasted Dr Walsh. Some of the UL supporters mob on here are obviously in denial too and quiet aggressive and would be in my view well suited to the misdoings in UL if thats the mobs views. No wonder the country went bust if some elements of 'local mob' cant see that what the Univetsity got upto was wastage and wrong like the banks misdoings. Wake up and quit the aggressive defending of UL and Ed Walsh and other high profilers in UL. I believe that most of the UL supporters mob here probably have connections to the ones in UL who carried on like this! Anyway no harm to know how many idiotic views that are out there backing corruption!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

So some of ye think the sun shines from Ed Walsh. The truth hurts ye the fact is University of Limerick's misdoings have at long last hit the headlines and about time. I believe that the attempted defending of the wrongdoings and denial of it by both the University and the mob here supporting it is and was bizzare! I believe the University arrogantly tried to stop local papers etc revealing the secret and treated the whistleblowers quiet badly. More taxpayers money wasted Dr Walsh. Some of the UL supporters mob on here are obviously in denial too and quiet aggressive and would be in my view well suited to the misdoings in UL if thats the mobs views. No wonder the country went bust if some elements of 'local mob' cant see that what the Univetsity got upto was wastage and wrong like the banks misdoings. Wake up and quit the aggressive defending of UL and Ed Walsh and other high profilers in UL. I believe that most of the UL supporters mob here probably have connections to the ones in UL who carried on like this! Anyway no harm to know how many idiotic views that are out there backing corruption!

I don't think anyone here is defending UL. Not once have I read a defence of UL here. People are just saying that trying to link to Ed Walsh who is gone from the UL 20 years to current events, just because he talked realistically about the economic crash is ridiculous and laughable. Get off your high horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

A simple question. How can you not see the difference between a man that is gone from UL since 1998 and problems that have arose in the last number of years?

No one is aggressively defending anyone. Like has been said already, you are starting to embarrass yourself now. Either come up with some kind of a link between Ed Walsh and the current problems at UL or move on.

You can’t keep saying the carry on in UL is a disgrace (which it is and everyone knows that that) and then blame someone that is gone 19 years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

*Mod Note: Closing this. New reg and obvious issues with this person. Take it to UL and away from boards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement