Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will car pass NCT on 3 cylinders?

Options
  • 08-11-2017 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have an 04 Mazda 2 and there is a problem with one of the piston rings. I've put 3000km+ on it since this problem started and it hasnt gotten any worse. NCT is up in 2 weeks and I'm wondering the chances of it passing? It shakes when idol but other than that there are no other signs its running on 3 cylinders. No engine lights, overheating and no fuel coming out of the exhaust, however the shaking is very noticeable.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

It will fail as the emissions will be all over the place with a high HC level (unburnt fuel)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,242 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is it burning oil? If so then wouldn't that push the emissions very high?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Why are you even driving it????? It’ll be using oil, over fueling and down on power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Why in the bejaysus would you bring a car like that to the nct at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Why in the bejaysus would you bring a car like that to the nct at all?

probably to go up on donedeal for 500 quid the next day 'new nct, runs perfect'

1 post, I call shenanigans on this thread already.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Tommy Ferguson

probably to go up on donedeal for 500 quid the next day 'new nct, runs perfect'

1 post, I call shenanigans on this thread already.

The op should respect your authority

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mcgovern25

Its not burning oil either. The car cost me less to buy than it would to get the problem fixed. Yes its down in power but its not over fuelling. I'd like to get another few months out of it if possible as I dont have the money to get a new car. I was thinking it might fail on emissions but if the cylinder is not burning fuel at all then the emissions might be normal. The car has no resale value with such a major problem so I may as well keep it as long as I can as it still drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Just put it through the test and see what happens, you might pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Neighbours fiesta passed on 3 cylinders, could hardly get it up to 60km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Disconnect the fuel injector on the cylinder that's not firing. You'd never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Id say the Cat is probably destroyed at this stage too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

nd wrote: »
    Disconnect the fuel injector on the cylinder that's not firing. You'd never know.

This is your best hope, of course the issue may be a dodgey injector to.begin woth too. Just pull the harness off them one at a time. When theres no change it engine note this will be it bogey cylinder.

Advertisement