Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from driving

Options
  • 08-11-2017 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi
    I was banned form driving in 2014 for four years.. I was done for drink driving,no insurance, no driving licence I know it's awful.. worst thing I have ever done .. my ban is up soon so I was wondering what to do next.. I'm stitting my terory test next week.. Will any1 insure me I don't know..!! Plz help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,787 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You will get quotes, likely to be north of €5k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Get you're full licence before you even think of getting insurance.
    You still can't drive without a fully qualified driver beside you even if you get your learner driving permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭JamBur

While it was terrible, the op has served the time. I have big issues with the exorbitant loading he will face. It leads to people being stuck in a loop of not being able to afford insurance/driving without insurance. How long does someone have to declare this for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Possibly. It'll cost you though.

I think if you get refused 3 times someone has to then quote you but it could be €10k. It's still a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Correct me if I'm wrong, if you did not have a licence when you were banned, will the driving ban not commence when you pass your test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If you were banned in 2012 , did the ban not end last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭banie01

aujopimur wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, if you did not have a licence when you were banned, will the driving ban not commence when you pass your test.

That was my understanding too.
    Where a driving ban is issued with no license in place, that it doesn't actually cone into effect until a license is obtained and subsequently endorsed?
    If there was no license in placw, the ban hasn't actually been served?

AmbI incorrect in that thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

If you were banned in 2012 , did the ban not end last year?

He said 2014, so the ban ends next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

JamBur wrote: »
    While it was terrible, the op has served the time. I have big issues with the exorbitant loading he will face. It leads to people being stuck in a loop of not being able to afford insurance/driving without insurance. How long does someone have to declare this for?

No licence.

No insurance.

Drink driving.

You think that he presents a good risk?

Time served or not, he recklessly endangered himself and more importantly, the innocent road users that pay for their insurance, sit their test and don't drink drive.

Banning someone from the roads that couldn't be bothered to get a licence or insurance in the first place has zero impact on them.

Making them pay thousands to earn the right to drive safely and legally does.

He deserves zero sympathy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If he waits 5 years however from the ban his history effectively disappears I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

I know someone that got insurance for 700 after DD

Was quite surprised tbh, no licence and insurance will push it up

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭JamBur

No licence.

No insurance.

Drink driving.

Don't get me wrong, I consider it an indefensible action. I have paid tax\insurance without fail through the years, and it annoys me that I pay extra to cover the uninsured drivers out there.

I'm just asking how does someone get out of the loop they entered through stupidity. Quotes of 5-10k make it impossible for some (if not most) to re enter normal driving society.

Is it something that someone has to declare indefinitely, or does it become moot after a certain period?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Ime insurance doesn't have a cutoff

They ask have you 'ever'... when getting quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

aujopimur wrote: »
    No, that's not correct. Endorsements will only kick in when a licence is obtained, however a disqualification is not a "driving ban" it's a ban from holding or applying for a driving licence for the duration of the ban.

This has consequential effect of banning you from driving because you are unable to get a licence. But the ban is on holding a licence, not specifically a ban on driving.

A ban usually carries with it an endorsement that gets applied to the licence once the ban is up. And you are correct in this regard - if the person didn't hold a licence at the time they were banned, then any endorsement they receive won't be applied until the ban is up and they apply for a licence, whether thats 1 month or 1 year after the ban expires.

If someone holds a licence when they're banned, then the endorsement is applied immediately when they get their licence back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

No licence.

No insurance.

Drink driving.

Time served or not, he recklessly endangered himself and more importantly, the innocent road users that pay for their insurance, sit their test and don't drink drive.

Banning someone from the roads that couldn't be bothered to get a licence or insurance in the first place has zero impact on them.

When buying insurance as a learner permit driver a disqualified driver doesn't present as any higher risk than anyone else in that situation IMO, actually given that a disqualified driver reapplying for a licence is not a complete novice driver it could be argued they would be less of a risk.

Not condoning op's actions but he has paid for that with the punishment handed down by the court, Insurance companies should not be allowed further punish former disqualified drivers with exorbitant quotes IMO. It does nothing to help discourage them from going the same route again when it comes to the offence of driving without insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

The Muppet wrote: »
    When buying insurance as a learner permit driver a disqualified driver doesn't present as any higher risk than anyone else in that situation IMO, actually given that a disqualified driver reapplying for a licence is not a complete novice driver it could be argued they would be less of a risk.

Seriously? If you have a crash, your premium goes up because the insurance company have had to pay out because of your actions.

If a learner (who has had no record of driving at all) applies, course insurance will be high as the insurance company has no way of knowing if they'll cost them money. If a previously disqualified driver (learner or full) goes to get insurance after the ban has been served, of course the insurance premium should be higher! They're a much more risky prospect and the have no no claims built up. How on earth would someone with that record be considered less of a risk?

I'm not endorsing the completely mad prices insurance is at the moment (mine is high with no claims in 10 years) but it should be higher than a learner with a completely clean slate.

OP your quotes are going to be high but if unlikely you'll be refused quotes. Although they may not quote you online. I would suggest saving up for it and start earning a no claims bonus. Keep a very clean sheet and don't be caught doing any silly things like driving unaccompanied on your learner permit.

If a previously disqualified driver (learner or full) goes to get insurance after the ban has been served, of course the insurance premium should be higher! They're a much more risky prospect and the have no no claims built up. How on earth would someone with that record be considered less of a risk?

What exactly is the extra risk?

What exactly is the extra risk?

That there is previous form for dangerous driving which would cost the insurance company money on payouts.

They base premiums on risk profile - you've done something before? More likely for you to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

If he waits 5 years however from the ban his history effectively disappears I think.
    it's 7 years and it will be a spent conviction, he won't have to disclose it then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

No licence.

No insurance.

Drink driving.

I don't believe he asked for sympathy or forgiveness.
    Do you spend your days patrolling the internet looking to put down transgressors ?
    Posters like the above only perpetuate the bad reputation Boards.ie has online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Can we please keep this on topic. The OP asked a very specific question, keep that in mind when posting. Any more nonsense and people will get infractions/bans.

That there is previous form for dangerous driving which would cost the insurance company money on payouts.

They base premiums on risk profile - you've done something before? More likely for you to do it again.

Mindful of the Mods direction above i will make thsi reply my last on the thread.

Dangerous driving is a specific offence, As the op did not mention it in his post I am assuming it was not a factor in this case.

I understand risk profile , what I dont understand is how the fact that someone has been banned for having no insurance makes them any more at risk of having an accident than a complete novice taking to the roard for the first time.

I would also think its obvious that insurance companies gouging such people could leave them with little option but to commiting the same offence again if they need to drive as many people in this country do.

I'll leave it at that . apologies to the moderator and op for going off topic

Mindful of the Mods direction above i will make thsi reply my last on the thread.

Dangerous driving is a specific offence, As the op did not mention it in his post I am assuming it was not a factor in this case.

I understand risk profile , what I dont understand is how the fact that someone has been banned for having no insurance makes them any more at risk of having an accident than a complete novice taking to the roard for the first time.

I would also think its obvious that insurance companies gouging such people could leave them with little option but to commiting the same offence again if they need to drive as many people in this country do.

I'll leave it at that . apologies to the moderator and op for going off topic

I just wanted to address this - it wasn't just no insurance per his original post. It was no licence, no insurance and drink driving. That's what will impact his risk profile.

OP just thinking there and maybe do some research into cars that are considered the least likely to throw up extra costs on insurance for you as well. Things like a micra versus a civic will have a bit of an impact. Anything you can do to minimise the impression of a boy racer on top of the already in place difficulties (not saying you are a boy racer).

At the moment I think focus though on getting through your theory test and getting some lessons. You don't need your own car for this. You seem to get what you did was stupid and there will be a penalty for it when your insurance comes round but hopefully keeping a clean slate will help ease this down over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

JamBur wrote:
    I'm just asking how does someone get out of the loop they entered through stupidity. Quotes of 5-10k make it impossible for some (if not most) to re enter normal driving society.

5 years. Because the insurance companies ask you if you have had any claims or convictions in the last five years.

So OP will get his insurance quote loaded next year after a four year ban and the following year will reset as a new driver with one years NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

In my opinion, insurance premiums (relating to third party cover) should be based purely on claims/accident history and nothing else.

It really should be as simple as that - if you can prove you drive for years without causing accident/claims then you deserve low premium.
    If you drive and keep causing accidents, your premium should be loaded.
    Someone just starting driving for the first time, should be treated in the middle of the scale, given chance to prove if he/she will drive claimless/claimful.

Current system where insurers base premium on tens of factors is pure nonsense.
    Like f.e. I have my way of driving and this relates to certain risk of causing accident.
    So now why on earth insurer thinks I'm more likely to cause accident (and charge higher premium) if I change my car from Focus to Civic. I'm still the same driver in the end.
    Why do they think I should pay higher premium once I change my job? Again I'm still the same person and still drive the same way.
    Penalty points - bullsh1t - I would love to see a proof that someone with more penalty points is more likely to cause accident than those with zero points.
    Previous convictions - still don't believe it can make any difference. Someone who was caught drink driving will not be any more likely to cause accident than those who still drink drive but were never caught.
    Address, age, etc - all that should not matter.

Basing premium on factors like that is like is simply collective punishment and should not be tolerated in modern society.

Accident/claim record is only fair thing to base third party car insurance premium on.
    You can prove you can drive without causing accidents - you pay less. You cause plenty accidents - you pay more. Really simple and fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Cinio, we all want cheaper premiums. As individuals, we think we deserve to have our circumstances reflected in a just premium. At the end of the day, all claims of the few are paid out of the same pot that the many pay into. However, it is not fair that the responsible drivers pay the same as the group costing the most. For that reason, insurers try and divide up the groups (and what they pay in) as accurately as they can.

The criteria you consider to be irrelevant, has been fine tuned over decades to try and ensure your contribution is equitable to the risk you present. You may not consider it important but that's the truth of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Cinio, we all want cheaper premiums. As individuals, we think we deserve to have our circumstances reflected in a just premium. At the end of the day, all claims of the few are paid out of the same pot that the many pay into. However, it is not fair that the responsible drivers pay the same as the group costing the most. For that reason, insurers try and divide up the groups (and what they pay in) as accurately as they can.

The criteria you consider to be irrelevant, has been fine tuned over decades to try and ensure your contribution is equitable to the risk you present. You may not consider it important but that's the truth of it.

But system is not fair and is not working right (that's why my comparison to collective punishment).
    Few examples.
    This year I changed my profession. Still working for the same company, still commuting on the same road, still working same hours. Just doing completely different thing at work. This couldn't have changed risk of me causing accident, as I'm still the same person, still driving mostly on the same road and still having the same skills. But insurer decided to inflate my premium.

Few years back, I changed a car from Mazda6 2.0 petrol to Civic 2.2 diesel. And that was enough for them to inflate my premium. Why would I be more likely to crash in a civic than mazda - I don't know. I actually do know I'm not more likely to crash. I'm the same likely.

On the other hand, I drive fast, very often above speed limit, but as I mostly drive in rural areas I can do it without consequences as there are no gards or speed traps around here. Have 0 penalty points here, so insurer is all happy to give me discount on my premium. At the same time someone living in Dublin nearly always driving at speed limit, who managed once or twice to slip few km/h over the limti and get caught my gosafe van, will have their premium increased because of that, even though such person is much less likely to crash due to excessive speed than me.

I'm still convinced that only fair system for third party car insurance premiums is to base it purely on accident/claim history as this is only fair measurable factor which can reflect how likely someone is to cause a claim.
    Everything else is just speculation which hurts many individuals same as collective punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

All of the alterations you have indicated move you in to a different group of your peers. Those groups may have had a better or worse claims experience with your insurer and your premium will go up or down accordingly. It is not possible to look at you individually, just at around a dozen characteristics you share with others. An insurer will discount the groups that perform well and load the ones that don't

I'm not saying that a model of flat premiums, only adjusted by claims isn't a good idea, but it would need to be a system run by the State and any any shortfall in claim reserves met through an increase in taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

CiniO wrote: »
    But system is not fair and is not working right (that's why my comparison to collective punishment).
    Few examples.
    This year I changed my profession. Still working for the same company, still commuting on the same road, still working same hours. Just doing completely different thing at work. This couldn't have changed risk of me causing accident, as I'm still the same person, still driving mostly on the same road and still having the same skills. But insurer decided to inflate my premium.

So you change your role in the company from surfing Facebook for 8 hours to doing a highly technical task that requires lots of concentration and you think that will make no difference to your driving. Even getting a promotion can increase stress levels and they affect your driving abilities. The fact that you think that driving is only affected by what happens in the car shows how little you understand driving.

For the OP. The advice for getting a quote is the same as for everyone. Ring all the companies and compare the policies offered on price and level of cover.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Lads Can you not smell a Troll ? :eek:

Advertisement