Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too much yeast - beer spoiled - any way to salvage?

Options
  • 09-11-2017 12:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭

I made 25 litres of beer. I added three pouches of yeast (stupidly) thinking I’d increase the alcohol in it instead of just one. I added three tins of the malty stuff that I got from homebrew.ie

The beer tastes rotten.

I’ve even tried letting the yeast sediment to the bottom, decanting to another container and leaving the yeast sediment behind before drinking but still tastes like sh1t.

Is there any way to salvage or is it ruined? Can I filter through coffee paper?

I’m certain the bad taste is from the yeast, I’ve added two or three tins of malt before with just one yeast and it was delicious.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It won't have anything to do with the yeast. What were your starting and finishing gravities? Time might improve it: go ahead and bottle or keg and come back to it in a few months. Or you could dry hop or add a flavour, depending on what style it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

You’re not the first beginner to think the beer is ruined because it tastes crap in the fermenter.
    Most beer tastes crap in the fermenter, extra yeast is unlikely to have made a difference.

Bottle it and taste it in 6 weeks, you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Advertisement