Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballycullen Green - New Builds

Options
  • 09-11-2017 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Just wondering if anyone knew much abut or had seen any of the new builds going up beside the Lidl in Ballycullen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Builder who built Dodderbrook down the road is building them as they finish Dodderbrook, some of the photos in the brochure are actually photos from the Dodderbrook show houses. They had an initial release on October 21st as per the email below, I think most of the release sold. I havent been in them but I would expect the same build quality or better than Dodderbrook which are lovely houses and very warm.
    Dear Enquirer

Thank you for registering your interest in the brand new development of Ballycullen Green, which is conveniently located on the Old Court Road in Ballycullen.
    We at DNG New Homes are delighted to invite you to an exclusive release of 3 bedroom houses at Ballycullen Green which will be held this Saturday 21st October 2017 from 10am to 12pm. In which we’ll have a 3 bedroom semi-detached show house on view No 72 Ballycullen Green (Type A).
    This is a superb brand new development set on an elevated site in a stunning location with an impressive backdrop of the Dublin Mountains and views towards Dublin City.
    The development will comprise of traditional 3 & 4 bedroom homes constructed to the highest building and environmental standards, offering ‘A’ rated energy efficient homes with excellent finishes throughout.
    The special pre-release at Ballycullen Green will comprise of exquisite 3 bed semi-detached houses (Type A’s) measuring c.116.5 sq m /1,254 sq ft with prices from €400,000* - €410,000.
    (*Please note attic trusses (rather than standard roof trusses) have already been fitted in these particular houses, an additional cost of €3,750 (Inc. Vat) will apply to each of these houses which is to be made payable directly to Capami prior to the closing of the property).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Some tremendous creative writing going on in that response from DNG! The Oldcourt Road is not in Ballycullen.

Anyway, if you're considering it, OP, just be aware that there has been a raft of development up there lately (with a lot more to come) but with little to no additional traffic planning or infrastructure. At the moment it takes around 25 minutes to get down the Ballycullen Road to the M50 in the mornings, and this is only going to get worse. A lot of people want Dublin Bus to move the 15 terminus up to the Oldcourt Road at Lidl but DB are refusing until a suitable roundabout is installed. Apparently the builders refused to accommodate this as it would have meant sacrificing three houses' worth of space.

Lidl will be right across the road from you but tbh, it's nearly operating at capacity as it is. Take a look at the obnoxious car parking there next time you're in the area and you'll see what I mean.

The only pub within walking distance is Scholars and I'm not a fan, personally. If you want good food you'll have to drive or bus to it. I'll let someone else advise on schools; I've no kids so they're just not on my radar at all.

Pro's are that you have the mountains, the Dodder Valley and a fantastic farm/allotments right on your doorstep. But the unbridled development going on in the area is serious cause for concern, imo.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Some tremendous creative writing going on in that response from DNG! The Oldcourt Road is not in Ballycullen.

No it very much is Ballycullen. I dont know where you think it is but it is. Although its actually in the Rathfarnham electoral area according to the council, not 100% on how that is though

No it very much is Ballycullen. I dont know where you think it is but it is.

It's not. The Ballycullen Road is the boundary. Anything from Hunterswood over isn't in Ballycullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

400 grand for a 3 bed in Dublin 24, bloody hell.

Worth noting though that it will be a decent little spot in time. The land to the south is designated by the local area plan to remain as open space or have a school built on it.

The thinking at present is that it'll have a secondary school and some playing fields, and until then it'll just be open space. So it means you won't have another estate built overlooking it.

It's really, really not Ballycullen. Though developers have been redefining these areas for the last 3 decades. Technically everything east of the Ballycullen road (i.e. Dalriada & Abbot's Grove) is Ballycullen. Everything east of that is Knocklyon. Everything west of the Ballycullen road and along the Oldcourt road is in Oldcourt. And everything North of that is Firhouse. But now apparently according to the developers, everything west of the Ballycullen road is Ballycullen and everything east of it is Knocklyon.

Forget about names. It's Dublin 24. It's a stone's throw away from Ballycragh and Bohernabreena, and it's on a popular route for boy racers to go rallying their cars up the mountains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

The houses that have gone up recently all look good but I'd echo what seamus & Dial Hard said, especially about the traffic issues. Looks like there's more development going on around Stocking Wood too so that'll only add to the traffic problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Maisie789

Thanks for all the responses so far.
    Anyone know if there's any plans to advance the traffic system or maybe build another exit to the M50?

Maisie789 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses so far.
    Anyone know if there's any plans to advance the traffic system or maybe build another exit to the M50?

There are no plans for another exit but the traffic system is laid out in the Ballycullen-Oldcourt Local Area Plan. Traffic depends on what time you need to leave it. If your on the road by 7am you fly down, 7:10 it starts getting busy, 7:20 the q starts getting very long.

http://www.sdcc.ie/services/planning/local-area-plans/existing/ballycullen-oldcourt

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/viewdocument.aspx?id=3b7575dd-9155-44b5-ac06-a78a0112f526

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Chances are at some stage they'll upgrade that junction to free-flow but I wouldn't hold your breath. They're quite limited for space as it is, and it's right on a large curve in the M50, so even if the will was there it would be a huge & complicated (read: expensive) project.

If you're considering buying there then you should think very strongly about your commute options. Driving down the Ballycullen Road should be disregarded as an option for the foreseeable future.

It's a good spot to cycle from, you freewheel half of the way into work (though obviously then you have to climb home :))

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I saw the name of these and was trying to figure out where they were going in. Then I saw the location and laughed.

"Let's put Ballycullen in the name, that'll fool 'em!"

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    I saw the name of these and was trying to figure out where they were going in. Then I saw the location and laughed.

"Let's put Ballycullen in the name, that'll fool 'em!"
    Not sure I understand? All the houses in the area have Ballycullen in the address so not sure I get why anyone would be fooled?

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    Maisie789 wrote: »
    Not sure I understand? All the houses in the area have Ballycullen in the address so not sure I get why anyone would be fooled?

That doesn't make them Ballycullen I'm afraid.
    Well it does techncally...

But I get what you're saying - it's like the houses in Abbotts Grove being called Knoclyon when they're nowhere near...

Maisie789 wrote:

No they don't. I live in Hunterswood and the address isn't Ballycullen.

Dodderbrook was promoted as "Dodderbrook Ballycullen" but the actual addresses are Dodderbrook, Oldcourt Road, Dublin 24.

The addresses for this development will likely be "1 Ballycullen Green, Oldcourt Road, Dublin 24". Putting the word Ballycullen in the name of the estate doesn't mean the estate is in Ballycullen, despite what the developers would like people to think.

Regarding traffic management, there's definitely the scope/space to upgrade the Colmcille's Way junction but as Seamus said, don't hold your breath. As for an extra M50 junction? Not in our lifetime. They could badly do with one, ideally around Edmondstown (between Dundrum and Firhouse) but it's never going to happen.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the Hellfire Club and Massey's Estate are earmarked for major redevelopment, which will also increase pressure on M50 J12 and the Ballycullen Road.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Maisie789 wrote:

No they don't. I live in Hunterswood and the address isn't Ballycullen.

Dodderbrook was promoted as "Dodderbrook Ballycullen" but the actual addresses are Dodderbrook, Oldcourt Road, Dublin 24.
    Ahhh I get you now thanks for explaining :) 
    I don't know if that would be enough to put me off. If the houses are anything like Dodderbrook they're an upgrade to some of tiny boxes I've seen go up for a higher price. Plus they have driveways and don't think i'd like to go the way of designated parking spaces.

We went to see them and they're fabulous. Lovely and big on the inside with plenty of room. They're definitely on the nicer side of some of the new builds that have gone up in the last two builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

Just to agree with everyone here as a recent resident of hunters wood, do no buy here without testing the traffic at your usual departure time. I have queued for 30minutes to travel about 1km from the estate to the m50. The issue isn't the m50 junction itself, rather the small roundabout before the signalised junction. Traffic from the housing estate nearer the m50 dominates the following onto the roundabout due to the congestion and only one car from hunterswood direction can get through with every cycle of the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Yeah - the roundabout at Woodstown is crazy in the mornings, only one car will get onto it coming down from Hunterswood. I tried that way once and waited about 30 minutes with only 9 cars in front of me, avoid it is my advice.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Just to agree with everyone here as a recent resident of hunters wood, do no buy here without testing the traffic at your usual departure time. I have queued for 30minutes to travel about 1km from the estate to the m50. The issue isn't the m50 junction itself, rather the small roundabout before the signalised junction. Traffic from the housing estate nearer the m50 dominates the following onto the roundabout due to the congestion and only one car from hunterswood direction can get through with every cycle of the lights.
    Yeah the traffic situation seems to be the biggest issue of what I can see. It's insane. We don't use our cars for work, we get the bus so I'd be hoping if we can be on it by 7.20/30 we might miss the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Yeah - the roundabout at Woodstown is crazy in the mornings, only one car will get onto it coming down from Hunterswood. I tried that way once and waited about 30 minutes with only 9 cars in front of me, avoid it is my advice.

It's worth noting it's relatively fine when schools are off but yeah it's going to get worse and worse with all the new builds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

It's worth noting it's relatively fine when schools are off but yeah it's going to get worse and worse with all the new builds

It can actually be backed up on the weekends now too, and well past six some evenings. I'd say living in Woodstown is a nightmare!

you'd want to be on the road at 7:20am these days, even then the Qs are starting...

• Advertisement

It can actually be backed up on the weekends now too, and well past six some evenings. I'd say living in Woodstown is a nightmare!

Woodstown have the best of it because they have by far the best right of way onto the roundabout; it's Hunterswood, Dalriada, Abbots Grove and Daletree that really suffer.

What badly needs to happen is for Colmcille's Way to be upgraded and the Woodstown roundabout replaced with traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JPFabo

Really nice houses these, nicest looking new builds I've seen in years, certainly around this area. Only 11 of the 18 houses they released during the pre-launch weekend were sold mind you, and some of them might already have come back, I wonder did they price them a bit high, as the final phase of 3 beds in Dodderbrook sold for 360k not that long ago and 410k would be out of range for many. Second hand houses in the area are up for 330-350k, might be better value. Depends how much value you put on "new" and "A3" energy rated.

I second alot of other comments here about traffic, I live in Ballycullen myself and the traffic is a nightmare if you leave after 7.30am, you're effectively trapped no matter what way you go, tallaght or M50, it would certainly put me off if I was new to the area or thinking about buying a home here, but then again, is there anywhere in Dublin that does not suffer from heavy traffic during rush hour, alot will depend on where you work and how you commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How are they still building more up there? I lived up in Stocking Well Row and Hunterswood five years ago and even then the traffic was murder. I honestly don’t know how people would do that commute now with all the continued house building that’s going on.

Has there been any improvement to infrastructure?

JPFabo wrote: »
    Really nice houses these, nicest looking new builds I've seen in years, certainly around this area. Only 11 of the 18 houses they released during the pre-launch weekend were sold mind you, and some of them might already have come back, I wonder did they price them a bit high, as the final phase of 3 beds in Dodderbrook sold for 360k not that long ago and 410k would be out of range for many.

All 18 houses have sold out on presale.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Yesterday morning's traffic, while exceptionally bad, was a good example of how bad the situation is in the area. I spent 30 mins sitting in my car from Woodstown to the on ramp of the M50. That's 1km. I avoided the M50 & attempted to go to work via Cypress Grove Road but abandoned it after spending another 25 mins just to get to the Templeogue road junction. Turned around & went home to get my bike instead, I cycled in to work in 30 mins. The traffic infrastructure really can't handle any more building in the area without something being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JPFabo

Yesterday was particularly bad for traffic alright, mostly weather related though, but does highlight the poor road network in the area which is already at capacity during rush hour. Probably room for another 400-500 houses up the back of Old Court and Stocking Lane, add to that the two new schools they are building off Ballycullen Road and the possibility of another, the traffic is only going to get worse, alot worse.

Happy builders and estate agents so Maisie789 if all 18 are gone @ 410k. 30-50k they will add for the next phase, and on and on it goes. Not to far off boom peak prices now for a 3 bed semi if they keep going. Dalriada 3 bed semi in 2007 (peak, still have the brochure and price list) was 465k and that was a D16 address. Will we ever learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Has there been any improvement to infrastructure?

Nope..... nothing at all.

I recently moved into Beechdale but I'm very lucky - I start work at 9:30 so only have to leave at 9 or a little after, and miss all the traffic. It takes me about 3-5 mins to get to the M50 and I work over in Santry.
    Yesterday I got to sample what it must be like for most people! :eek: Left at 9am as always and took me almost 30 mins to do that same 3-5 min journey!

If I had to sit in that crap traffic and watch who are undoubtedly the queue jumpers take the bus lane every morning I'd go mad....

I can only hope that something is done about the infrastructure up around the area. There has to have been some brown envelopes involved in the planning to allow all of these houses without the roads to support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

That sounds horrendous. Would you not put pressure on your local tds?!

HiGlo wrote:
    I can only hope that something is done about the infrastructure up around the area. There has to have been some brown envelopes involved in the planning to allow all of these houses without the roads to support them.

There was a traffic count done at the Woodstown Roundabout a few months back... and it took place over the weekend. Serious brown envelope shenanigans going on there. I couldn't believe it. Like, literally the cables went down Saturday morning and came up Sunday evening. They got such a realistic idea of the traffic there, well done lads...

• Advertisement

I want to be optimistic and hope that eventually probably years down the line they might do something worthwhile about the roads. One can hope anyway. Because the Ballycullen Green houses are the nicest I've seen in a long time and unfortunately there's not much of a selection elsewhere.

Advertisement