Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monkstown Village

Options
  • 09-11-2017 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

The current state of Monkstown Villlage has become a blight on the landscape on what was previously a lovely place to reside and to visit.

What is going on?

The redevelopment has all the hallmarks of an omnishambles; uncoordinated, clearly poorly managed, lacking focus and above all else, dangerous. The area is no a no-go area for both cars, cyclists and pedestrians alike. For what feels like close on a year, the 'redevelopment' has continued at a snails pace, only getting worse to the naked eye on passing.

Endless safety barriers, dangerously planned out works, hazardous material left open to the elements......the list is almost endless. Added to all of this, Monkstown Avenue has now fallen to 'upgrade' works.

Will it be completed by the close of the year?

I really feel for the local businesses, residents and the unfortunate people trying to sell property.

Omnishambles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

The good news is that they are surfacing the roads south of the Church of Ireland today so hopefully that bit will operate OK from now on. The overall job is due to finish in December. They do look to be on target for that. I think the removal of the sloped "footpath" in front of the strip is also welcome. Whether the new junction at the Spar will work or not remains to be seen.

I would have to agree however that at times the setup has seemed quite dangerous. It has been compounded by people ignoring the designated crossing points and temporary one way systems.

Ultimately I feel that a one way system between the Blackrock bypass and the West Pier seems to be the way to go. Elements of this are in the NTA scheme which includes to Merrion gates bypass but that seems to have gone very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Cut them some slack, it’s a big job of course there will be disruption and unsightly works while it’s happening. As for the businesses , the village will be much more attractive and accessible once it’s finished so relax they’ll be well compensated for years after the work is done

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BOBIDGE

ted1 wrote: »
    Cut them some slack, it’s a big job of course there will be disruption and unsightly works while it’s happening. As for the businesses , the village will be much more attractive and accessible once it’s finished so relax they’ll be well compensated for years after the work is done

How is essentially replacing like for like making the village more accessible, nevermind more attractive? They are largely leaving the parking as was, leaving not enough space to pass safely. Coupled with the excessive speeds seen coming from the Monkstown and the Carrickbrennan Road the area will still remain hazardous.

Do you somehow believe the area will somehow benefit from the works? Me thinks not. Does the timeframe for the works seem reasonable for the works planned?

I won't even go into the colour of the stone used.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

For a site with live traffic still running through it and trying to keep customer and loading access to premises, its not taking a long time.

I wouldn't be loosing any sleep over it, property values in that neck of the woods certainly wont be affected by temporary works, especially ones that are designed to make the village a nicer place to live.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    For a site with live traffic still running through it and trying to keep customer and loading access to premises, its not taking a long time.

I wouldn't be loosing any sleep over it, property values in that neck of the woods certainly wont be affected by temporary works, especially ones that are designed to make the village a nicer place to live.

I've had a look over the plans. I am sure it will look a bit nicer to the eye but for the sum of over a million euro, I am failing to see the big benefit of the works many do. 6-8 months work is very clearly excessive.

• Advertisement

BOBIDGE wrote: »
    I am failing to see the big benefit of the works many do. 6-8 months work is very clearly excessive.
    Many other people don’t fail to see the benefits

6-8 months is excessive, if they closed the village completely they could do it faster. But they couldn’t, so the time taken is understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

For what feels like close on a year, the 'redevelopment' has continued at a snails pace, only getting worse to the naked eye on passing.
    I've had a look over the plans. I am sure it will look a bit nicer to the eye but for the sum of over a million euro, I am failing to see the big benefit of the works many do. 6-8 months work is very clearly excessive.

You must have a lot of fun for time to fly so quickly.

I pass through the Village daily and can see continuous progress. I'm very much looking forward to the redevelopment. Hopefully it will be completed in time for the Christmas Markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

From a cursory look passing by last night I could see they are replacing all the water, power, gas and tel-co trunking as part of it so a) improved services networks in the locality and b)it wont have to be excavated again for a very long time. Like many benefits, they arent immediately evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd still love to know the rationale behind the long double-yellow lines outside Alan Dorgan's showroom on the main road through the village. If the council told him to open a gap in the rail around the corner to use as an entrance, it could make for three or four extra parking spaces at the front of his premises but of course that would block the unobstructed view that we all have of his showroom as we pass up and down the street vainly looking for parking!

https://goo.gl/maps/8qP6d5KFpn12

Legally you can’t park with 5m of a junction

See #36

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print

(2) A vehicle shall not be parked—
    “( c ) within 5 metres of a road junction;”

That covers most the space you talk about

• Advertisement

See #36

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print

Except for Sundays and anytime after 7pm, where we see zilch parking enforcements, with people doing what they like, where they like!

This is the next junction heading towards Dun Laoghaire, the intersection of the main street and Longford Tce. That white box behind the 'Stop' line showing where you can legally park is definitely less than 5m from the junction.....

https://goo.gl/maps/cevbn4GwE2G2

This is the top of the link road that runs down to the Purty Kitchen, are those yellow lines the same length as the ones outside Alan Dorgan?

https://goo.gl/maps/bmW7tdd3phK2

Town area once again being ripped up.

It never ends......

It never ends......

It 'never ends' because roads need periodic maintenance.

This current roadworks involve Monkstown Road which was in a deplorable state. The closure you're whinging about is from Temple Hill down to Goggins, there is no overlap with the area affected by the works mentioned above.

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-notices/road-works-monkstown-road-7th-august-28th-september

coylemj wrote: »
    It 'never ends' because roads need periodic maintenance.

This current roadworks involve Monkstown Road which was in a deplorable state. The closure you're whinging about is from Temple Hill down to Goggins, there is no overlap with the area affected by the works mentioned above.

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-notices/road-works-monkstown-road-7th-august-28th-september

So you obviously blindly believe that, despite nearing a month into work, they will be finished in little over 3 weeks on Septemeber 28th?

There's little doubt the road needed resurfacing - none whatsoever. I question a) its duration b) the very questionable traffic flow measures. The road was left in a dangerous manner a number of times, particularly over weekends. Cones, bollards and fencing left to fall over and cause disprution.

I really do hope they are finished in a fortnight. Unfortunately, I really don't believe (based on progression) that they will be.

So you obviously blindly believe that, despite nearing a month into work, they will be finished in little over 3 weeks on Septemeber 28th?

What the hell are you on about? I 'blindly believe' nothing, I simply posted a link to the co. co. notice about the roadworks for the benefit of boardsies who may not realise the extent of the current project, that's all. Keep your shirt on FFS.

What the hell are you on about? I 'blindly believe' nothing, I simply posted a link to the co. co. notice about the roadworks for the benefit of boardsies who may not realise the extent of the current project, that's all. Keep your shirt on FFS.

Keep your shirt on - classy.

Thanks for the link.

I don't tend to beat up on DLRCC but I was in the deadzone between Goggins and the bypass for the first time this morning. It looks like there is still a lot to do. That said maybe some of the areas that look untouched are structurally sound and just need planing and resurfacing. If so maybe things will speed up once the remaining foundations are done.

I am no expert however.

I am very excited to see the competition of works tomorrow! Hopefully it will make a big difference.

I am very excited to see the competition of works tomorrow! Hopefully it will make a big difference.

You do realise it’s due to be dug up again

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-consultation/public-consultation-monkstown-road-cycle-route

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

Any word when this is due to reopen? Or did it reopen this week?

There is the important question of calling down to George's for a bit of fish for my dinner.

Melendez wrote: »
    Any word when this is due to reopen? Or did it reopen this week?

Was down there yesterday, there was still a hi-vis worker on traffic duty near Goggins so I guess it's still going on.

It's a contract (Kilsarans) job so naturally the council website has not been updated, still quotes completion date of Sept 28th.

Was down there yesterday, there was still a hi-vis worker on traffic duty near Goggins so I guess it's still going on.

It's a contract (Kilsarans) job so naturally the council website has not been updated, still quotes completion date of Sept 28th.

If it is done by mid October I will be surprised. Nearing a week overdue, no explanation. Fairly deplorable.

I trust DLRCoCo are savvy enough to make these fixed price contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

According to DLRCC on twitter it won't be finshed until 30th of October now!

Muller_1 wrote: »
    According to DLRCC on twitter it won't be finshed until 30th of October now!

So, three months to resurface a road. Efficient!

Pretty sure they did some pipe work too. I spotted some blue piping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

If it is done by mid October I will be surprised. Nearing a week overdue, no explanation. Fairly deplorable.
    Except for Sundays and anytime after 7pm, where we see zilch parking enforcements, with people doing what they like, where they like!

It never ends......

Whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge....

Would you listen to yourself. When they are finished, send them down to Blackrock for a couple of months. People are begging for road resurfacing in some places...

Whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge....

Would you listen to yourself. When they are finished, send them down to Blackrock for a couple of months. People are begging for road resurfacing in some places...

Lol - apologist much?

Dangerous road surface; little regard to residents; week overdue (will be much longer). I am a whinger, no doubt. I guess expecting a half decent job, all within a half decent timeframe, is asking a bit too much?

Lower your standards enough and eventually you will be happy and satisfied with the job done. I guess there are some who will be apologists for anything and everything. Kudos!

• Advertisement

Was down there this morning. A large section on the Bypass side seems to be ready for the final surface so if they could at least allow traffic on that section it would help greatly in accessing the area. That might leave a small single stop-go on the Monkstown side.

Advertisement