Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monkstown Village

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

BOBIDGE wrote: »
    Lol - apologist much?

Dangerous road surface; little regard to residents; week overdue (will be much longer). I am a whinger, no doubt. I guess expecting a half decent job, all within a half decent timeframe, is asking a bit too much?

Lower your standards enough and eventually you will be happy and satisfied with the job done. I guess there are some who will be apologists for anything and everything. Kudos!

Not sure how you have come to the apologist conclusion, there's nothing in my post to indicate such.

A week overdue, imagine that, a project not finishing on time. And you're on your way to having a heart attack over it? Do you regularly go out of your way to find things to complain about?

I don't believe a word of what you are saying with regards to the dangerous road surface or little regard to residents. No pictures posted to back up your claims. Did you contact anybody about it or was your first port of call to post here?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BOBIDGE

Not sure how you have come to the apologist conclusion, there's nothing in my post to indicate such.

A week overdue, imagine that, a project not finishing on time. And you're on your way to having a heart attack over it? Do you regularly go out of your way to find things to complain about?

I don't believe a word of what you are saying with regards to the dangerous road surface or little regard to residents. No pictures posted to back up your claims. Did you contact anybody about it or was your first port of call to post here?

Yes, I have. The road will be a month overdue - that still acceptable?

Take a drive up to Temple Hill and see the surface (it has been A LOT worse). Heart attack? Far from it. Very annoying and a huge inconvenience? You bet.

Think it is good enough to have no warning signs - 'no road markings', 'uneven surface' etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I heard there would be a cycle path.

Not seeing any evidence of that. I hope I am wrong. The foot path could definitely be shaved on the left side (direction Monkstown from Temple Hill).

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Chinasea wrote: »

Not seeing any evidence of that. I hope I am wrong. The foot path could definitely be shaved on the left side (direction Monkstown from Temple Hill).

DLR did a consultation on a cycle path scheme earlier in the summer. I think it involved significant tradeoffs. It certainly involved removal of the right turning "lanes" at the side roads. Not sure how the consultation went or whether it will be going ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,587 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Chinasea wrote: »

https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/transportation/monkstown-road-cycle-route/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

ted1 wrote: »
    Thank you. I couldn't quite establish however if there will be a cycle lane included on this stretch.

While a full 4 weeks delayed, I am very much looking forward to the reopening of the newly paved Monkstown Road today.

It will make a difference, that is for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ross2010

While a full 4 weeks delayed, I am very much looking forward to the reopening of the newly paved Monkstown Road today.

It will make a difference, that is for sure.

:pac: They will be working on it for another while that's for sure.

ross2010 wrote: »
    :pac: They will be working on it for another while that's for sure.

I think we can safely say that!

My guess? 2 weeks. It is a shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think we can safely say that!

My guess? 2 weeks. It is a shambles.

Go on, admit it - you'd have been devastated if they'd finished by Oct 31st.

Why don't you go down and offer them your world-class project management skills?

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Go on, admit it - you'd have been devastated if they'd finished by Oct 31st.

Why don't you go down and offer them your world-class project management skills?

That's not my profession. If it were, I would exoect to be out of work.

Yes, being severely hampered in my daily life makes me very happy. Another sentiment of an out-and out apologist. No standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There appears to have been a bit of 'fixing up' with these roadworks today, they blocked the left lane travelling outbound on Temple Hill just before Monkstown Ave. which has caused traffic chaos back to St. Vincent's Hospital.

Traffic guy on LiveDrive (Dublin City 103.2 FM) says it's for today only.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ross2010

coylemj wrote: »
    There appears to have been a bit of 'fixing up' with these roadworks today, they blocked the left lane travelling outbound on Temple Hill just before Monkstown Ave. which has caused traffic chaos back to St. Vincent's Hospital.

Traffic guy on LiveDrive (Dublin City 103.2 FM) says it's for today only.

I live beside the chaos. I reckon it was where they were putting in the new pedestrian crossing near Montpelier which had previously been left undone. Lots of action in that area yesterday and today but I can say all has gone quiet since late afternoon so hopefully once it has set it will be open again tomorrow. The remainder of the works will result in a stop/go system at Monkstown village end of the road but only for the last layer of tarmac so fingers crossed we are nearly there. Only 2 months behind schedule :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭xper

Final tarmac layer and road markings completed on Monkstown Road at the end of last week. Apart from one remaining section of footpath being replaced at the southbound bus bay near the crest of the hill, the job seems to be done with no more temporary traffic lights in prospect.

Hallelujah! Seriously overrun project with terrible management of access provision and information by the contractor who just seemed to give up trying three or four weeks in. Dublin Bus didn't cover themselves in glory either, offering no clear information to their drivers or passengers leaving everybody playing a game of bus stop roulette for the last three months.

That said, the road was in bits and it was a joy to cycle along it today compared to the dangerous condition it was in by the end of last winter. As expected the central median/turning lanes have been removed in favour of cycle lanes (the broken line variety) in both directions. I note the double yellow lines that graced the full length of the road on both sides have not (yet) been reinstated - might lead to chancery.

Will we open a book on when the first utility comes along and digs a hole in the pristine surface?

xper wrote: »
    Final tarmac layer and road markings completed on Monkstown Road at the end of last week. Apart from one remaining section of footpath being replaced at the southbound bus bay near the crest of the hill, the job seems to be done with no more temporary traffic lights in prospect.

Hallelujah! Seriously overrun project with terrible management of access provision and information by the contractor who just seemed to give up trying three or four weeks in. Dublin Bus didn't cover themselves in glory either, offering no clear information to their drivers or passengers leaving everybody playing a game of bus stop roulette for the last three months.

That said, the road was in bits and it was a joy to cycle along it today compared to the dangerous condition it was in by the end of last winter. As expected the central median/turning lanes have been removed in favour of cycle lanes (the broken line variety) in both directions. I note the double yellow lines that graced the full length of the road on both sides have not (yet) been reinstated - might lead to chancery.

Will we open a book on when the first utility comes along and digs a hole in the pristine surface?

The job does look, on visual inspection, a good one. The delay was horrifically handled. It is still not finished and will drag on until December. Any explanation?

I look forward to January and the first utility dig-up :D

Boom! :cool:

15/02/2019

Currently, the top layer approaching Temple Hill is up and looking rough.

2nd time lucky perhaps?

How I may miss the flagmen. Sitting waiting in traffic for 5-10 minutes to leave the house brings back so many happy memories.

Advertisement